First Angel Flight

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I happen to have this week off work. While the rest of the week was booked, my plans for today ended up getting canceled on Sunday, so I was free for the day. Yesterday a last-minute eMail was sent out from Angel Flight East for a flight today from Philadelphia up to Watertown, NY. I decided to pick up the flight, making it Cloud Nine's first Angel Flight (and actually first flight operating under my non-profit).

In this case, the passengers were a cancer patient and her husband. They were doing recurring Angel Flights to get from Watertown, NY down to Philadelphia and back for weekly chemo treatments. This is a classic case of where planes make trips possible that wouldn't be doable by car. A 7 hour drive each way turns into a 2 hour flight.

The flight down to Philadelphia was standard and uneventful. After picking up my passengers, Philadelphia departure gave me a ground delay at PNE of 10 minutes. Considering the temperature on the ground and the fact that both my passengers and I were boiling, I decided to depart VFR and pick up my IFR clearance in the air. By the time I got to Allentown's airspace, I was able to get ahold of them and pick up a full route clearance, which was PNE - ARD - FJC - V149 - LHY - V449 - ALB - V91 - BTV - KART. If you take a look at this route, it literally adds 200 nm to a trip that should only be 250 nm. I complained about this to ATC, noting that it was a huge detour (that doesn't even take me anywhere near my destination), and asked if I could get anything better. About 10 minutes later, I got cleared direct Watertown. If they hadn't done that, I was going to cancel IFR and just go VFR. That was the most insane clearance I'd ever received, including when I've been routed to the tip of Long Island to go to Wings from Bridgeport, CT. I was surprised at the overall treatment I got from Philadelphia on the departure side. I've had ground delays out of PNE before, but never a routing that crazy, on an Angel Flight no less.

Once all that was taken care of, it was an uneventful flight. The weather cooperated with us the whole time, with the winds not doing too much of anything to get in our way until my return leg from Watertown back to Williamsport. Today was a good lesson in negotiating with ATC, and how to work with them to get what you want. Sometimes it just won't happen, but you don't need to just accept it if it's an inconvenience.

My passengers enjoyed the flight. As my first Angel Flight, it was very rewarding, I look forward to more in the future. You can see my flight track here:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CMF27Y

Well, that tail number answers the question I was going to ask about whether they realized you were a compassion flight. You filed with the Compassion Flight (CMF) code.

Good on ya!

Excellent! Thanks for the report...

How was ART? ineed to visit my parents who are up that way (Near KMSS).

Watertown is plagued/blessed with over 100" of snow each December....

Wow, I just put your routing into skyvector. That is one seriously messed up routing.

Well, that tail number answers the question I was going to ask about whether they realized you were a compassion flight. You filed with the Compassion Flight (CMF) code.

And I was even doing my calls as "Compassion Flight 27Y"!

How was ART? ineed to visit my parents who are up that way (Near KMSS).

Watertown is plagued/blessed with over 100" of snow each December....

ART is a nice enough airport. Small FBO, but good facilities. It's a lot nicer inside than it looks outside. Right now they're doing construction and 7/23 is NOTAM'd out of service. When I landed on runway 28 today, winds were 220 12G19. Made for a fun crosswind landing, seeing as those gusts were frequent.

Today was no chance of snow! It was 84F on the ground there, actually several degrees warmer than Williamsport! I'd hoped that far north was going to be cooler. Still, took off out of there with about 1/2 fuel the Aztec had some nice acceleration and climb rate.

Wow, I just put your routing into skyvector. That is one seriously messed up routing.

Yeah, when I first plugged it into the GPS and looked at it I thought I had to have entered something wrong. Then I looked at it a bit closer and realized that it was, in fact, correct, it was just a horrible routing. I wonder if someone in there had something against Aztecs.

Oh, another thing from the flight. I flight plan for 20 gph. Today, 92.5 gallon for 4.6 hours of flight time. 20.1 gph. I like it when my estimates are right. Not too shabby for 155-160 KTAS in a flying brick with the glide ratio of a Steinway... :)

Good on ya!

Interesting...out here in AngelFlightWest-land, we're told not to use "Compassion" but to use "Angel Flight XYZ" where XYZ are the last 3 characters of our N number.

Interesting...out here in AngelFlightWest-land, we're told not to use "Compassion" but to use "Angel Flight XYZ" where XYZ are the last 3 characters of our N number.

And we've been told the opposite. Go figure.

And per Air Care Alliance (aircareall.org), the organization responsible for administering it, either is acceptable. Since most of my compassion flying is for Lifeline Pilots, I use Compassion (CMF) so I don't have to remember who I'm flying for that day. Ted can use that for his animal rescue flights, too.

Since most (all?) Angel Flight organizations are also members of the Air Care Alliance (aircareall.org), the organization responsible for administering the Compassion call sign, either is acceptable to the FAA. http://aircareall.org/callsign.htm#cmpsn-procedures Since most of my compassion flying is for Lifeline Pilots, I use Compassion (CMF) so I don't have to remember who I'm flying for that day. Ted, you can use that for your animal rescue flights, if they're members of AirCareAlliance. Pilots and Paws is, though I don't see Animal Rescue Flights listed (http://aircareall.org/listings.htm).

http://aircareall.org/callsign.htm#cmpsn-procedures

Last edited:
Ted,

Good on you for giving the bipeds some love.

Since most (all?) Angel Flight organizations are also members of the Air Care Alliance (aircareall.org), the organization responsible for administering the Compassion call sign, either is acceptable to the FAA. http://aircareall.org/callsign.htm#cmpsn-procedures Since most of my compassion flying is for Lifeline Pilots, I use Compassion (CMF) so I don't have to remember who I'm flying for that day. Ted, you can use that for your animal rescue flights, if they're members of AirCareAlliance. Pilots and Paws is, though I don't see Animal Rescue Flights listed (http://aircareall.org/listings.htm).

Yeah, talking to AirCare Alliance about getting ARF on there is one of my projects. At the moment we haven't talked to them about it, but I see no reason why they wouldn't let us on, especially of P'n'P is on there.

I use "AngelFlight"/NGF, mostly because I find it easier to say but AFaIK the FAA is OK with either one. I've even had ATC say Angel Flight when I'd filed CMF.

Ted I know what AFE says but I've always used NGF123 and the Angle Flight call sign. Its just so much more recognizable and I belive it gets you results. We've actually had ATC thank us for doing AF.

Also with AF if you get crazy routing ( and it happens ) Just say were an AF with a cancer patient on board we'd like to get her home as soon as possible can we get a more direct routing. It works.

BTW I always thought when you were on an Angle Flight you had to fly IFR and couldln't go VFR. you might want to check that with Jen or Marueen at AFE.

BTW I always thought when you were on an Angle Flight you had to fly IFR and couldln't go VFR. you might want to check that with Jen or Marueen at AFE.

AngelFlight Central doesn't even require an instrument rating although they've been thinking of changing that policy in the wake of a couple serious accidents. But IIRC neither was caused by VFR into VMC so they might just leave that alone.

I know that some regions do require an IR (and probably instrument currency) but I don't know of any that require the missions be conducted under IFR.

AngelFlight Central doesn't even require an instrument rating although they've been thinking of changing that policy in the wake of a couple serious accidents. But IIRC neither was caused by VFR into VMC so they might just leave that alone.

I know that some regions do require an IR (and probably instrument currency) but I don't know of any that require the missions be conducted under IFR.
I'm pretty sure that there are some that require a flight plan, but they may not require an instrument flight plan. AFE and AFNE don't indicate that they require a flight plan on their website, but they both require an instrument rating.

Per the information packet from Angel Flight East, an IFR flight plan or VFR with flight following is strongly encouraged, but not required. You need to have an instrument rating, though.

Either way, I wasn't going to spend 10 minutes on the ramp in a cabin that was approaching meltdown temperatures, especially with a cancer patient going through chemo, when there was nobody else in front of me and I was the only one at the airport with perfect VFR conditions all around. I only ended up getting brief instrument time once I got up to the Watertown area.

I've used NGF and CMF. CMF has gotten a "what's a Compassion Flight?" from ATC every time. Never a question with NGF. I don't use CMF anymore.

Ted, kudos for joining AngelFlightEast!!:thumbsup:

In that case I'll start using the NGF for future flights. It doesn't make much sense to me, either, and ATC sure didn't seem to have a clue what it was.

Clearly flying for Angel Flight you have the option. How about flying for other organizations, e.g. LifeLine Pilots, Pilots 'N Paws, ARF, etc.? I don't know what the rules are for the use of NGF.

ARF isn't part of AirCare Alliance or anything else, so we don't use anything. Pilots'n'Paws is, so I don't know what they use. I would actually like if we could get our own designation, something like "ARF27Y" and have it be Animal Rescue 27Y, but that seems unlikely.

I put "Animal Rescue Flight" in the "Remarks" section when I'm transporting dogs, and they do seem to notice that. On Saturday, I had tower at KAGC and at KMHT ask me about it. I was expecting some other controllers to, given the level of barking we had for most of the flight that I'm sure could be heard during transmissions. Tower at AGC's comment was "Just how many animals do you have in there?" "Eight dogs and two cats right now." "Wow..."

I was expecting some other controllers to, given the level of barking we had for most of the flight that I'm sure could be heard during transmissions. Tower at AGC's comment was "Just how many animals do you have in there?" "Eight dogs and two cats right now." "Wow..."

And they didn't come back with "Which one's flying the plane?"

ARF isn't part of AirCare Alliance or anything else, so we don't use anything. Pilots'n'Paws is, so I don't know what they use. I would actually like if we could get our own designation, something like "ARF27Y" and have it be Animal Rescue 27Y, but that seems unlikely.

ARF is not yet in use as a 3-letter designator.

If ARF and its affiliates are doing more than 15-20 flights/wk, and has at least three aircraft doing them, you'd qualify to apply. Instructions and criteria are in Advisory Circular 120-26J. Even if you don't meet that criteria, you can get a waiver (par. 6c) that will allow them to issue you one, anyway.

Go for it! I bet when combined with your mission and 501(c)3 status, you'll get it.

Last edited:
Troy knows a lot of stuff.

Mostly how to use advanced search mode on Google to narrow results. ;-)

See. That's "stuff."

I didn't even know Google had an advanced search mode.

See. That's "stuff."

I didn't even know Google had an advanced search mode.

Well, here's Tango Whiskey's Intergalactic Google Search for Genius's Lesson One:

If you put site:faa.gov in your search string, all the results will be restricted to links on the FAA website.

Thus, a search for site:faa.gov three-letter designator gives you exactly what I found above.

This "site:" trick is useful when you know the answer you're looking for is on a particular site (AOPA, Bonanza Pilots, Microsoft, etc.)

Troy, you're the man! We probably don't quite have the 15-20 flights per week status, but we could likely go for the exemption. Thanks for doing the leg work for me on this!

And it looks like ARF27Y (or just N6927Y) is doing another flight next weekend to Atlanta and back up north... might be more than one, depending on how many other planes make it and how many animals need to get up north. Stay tuned...

These volunteer dog transports have been getting a lot of good publicity recently. This morning I saw a really nice piece on the local San Francisco news station about Pilots n' Paws.

Back