First Angel Flight & more ConUS Challenge

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Well, today was my first Angel Flight. I've flown a couple of LifeLine Pilots flights before, so it wasn't a new concept, and I had FUN!

Yeah, things didn't go perfectly. I hoped to take off at 8:00 and get a bunch of ConUS Challenge airports (www.goflyamerica.org), but we were up late the night before celebrating Leslie's landing at O'Hare, so I didn't get to the airport until after 10:00. I was supposed to pick up the patient in Springfield at 1330, so I still had about 3:30 to get there. I stopped first at Cushing for the Challenge, and had my first problem. Preparing for takeoff, I heard a loud, painful squealing in my headset. Swapping around headsets and jacks, I determined that the problem was the pilot's jack. Pulling out the Leatherman, I tightened the jacks down, and the squealing stopped. Yeah! There was no way I would have been able to fly with that, so I'd have been relegated to the handheld mike and the cabin speaker. Since I was planning to file IFR coming back, I really didn't relish that thought!

By this time I decided to head directly to Springfield to pick up the patient. I didn't want to be late for that. On the way there, I heard another loud squeal, but this time it was the autopilot disconnect. Apparently I had a pitch trim failure. I tried resetting the autopilot, but to no avail. Out came the autopilot circuit breaker. The rest of this trip would be hand flying!

So I wound up landing there at about 1300. and got the message that they hadn't even left the previous airport, which was over an hour away, and weren't expecting to get in until 1500. So I decided to go visit another airport that hadn't been claimed for the challenge and that was under attack from a mining company that wanted to develop it (3K4, Hillsboro, IL). Talked to a member of the airport board there, and realized that the time was 1445! Time to get rolling, because there was no way I'd make Springfield by 1500. (The good news was that the airport had not been sold to the mining company, and there might be a possibility that the company would build a new airport.)

Talking to Springfield Approach, I heard the pilot who was going to be handing off to me, so I knew I'd be waiting for him at the airport. When I got there, I decided that it would be prudent to add 5 gallons of fuel per side. No more, because I'd have W&B issues. Don, the second leg pilot, introduced me to the two passengers I'd have. They had already had quite a day, having been delayed by weather at their starting point. Then Don's copilot left the master on, and the battery died! Don flies a Bonanza. His copilot HAND-PROPPED it! Better him than me! :eek:

So we were getting ready to depart, when the FBO said we had a problem. They had topped off the Skylane, adding 264 pounds of extra fuel! While I thought the Skylane would be able to handle it, especially with the long runway available, I wasn't about to push it, so we had to defuel the plane. We used the fuel gauge to determine when enough had been taken out. By this point, the 1330 departure was going to be a 1600 departure.:mad: And, to top it off, I only had the plane booked until 1800! No way was I going to make it from Springfield to Waukegan and back down to Bolingbrook in 2 hours! Of course, in the rush to depart, I totally forgot to call the FBO and let them know I'd be late.:redface:

The good news is that I changed my flight plan to 9000', and we were on top in smooth, cool air for most of the trip, until C90 took us down to 4000' around ORD. And the ladies were so appreciative, and I was thanking THEM for the chance to help them!

Made it back at 1900, just after the FBO closed. Luckily, the owner understood and left me a voice mail that all was cool.

All-in-all, a great day flying with just above the average number of turbulent events! The weather cooperated, at least for my leg of the flight, and I got to meet a bunch of nice people at a multitude of airports!

This is what flying's about!:cheerswine::yes::yes:

(Oh, and thanks to EdFred for the mini-tripod!)

Attachments

• Cushing_GoFlyAmerica (Large).JPG
    Cushing_GoFlyAmerica (Large).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    897.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    802.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Nice photos. That second shot surely allows for a lot of corn and 'taters. It dwarfs my boyhood farm back in Cushing, Maine. The two photos I took 41 years after my teenage years, and the barn had been replaced by the modern residence(lower right, photo #1). The red farmhouse was built in 1862 and is still in the family, and other residences have since been built on the acreage.

HR

Attachments

• Crute Farm 1 April 29 2001.jpg
    Crute Farm 1 April 29 2001.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Crute Farm 2 April 29 2001.jpg
    Crute Farm 2 April 29 2001.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Nice photos. That second shot surely allows for a lot of corn and 'taters. It dwarfs my boyhood farm back in Cushing, Maine. The two photos I took 41 years after my teenage years, and the barn had been replaced by the modern residence(lower right, photo #1). The red farmhouse was built in 1862 and is still in the family, and other residences have since been built on the acreage.

HR
Yeah but Harley, yours wasn't FLAT!!! Sounds like a nice place to grow up.

Grant, a great story; you and Leslie have had an exciting couple of days!
I love doing Angel Flights--I'd do them full time if I could!

I have a question. How do you de-fuel a plane!? This is one of those things that they don't teach in training. Does the FBO pump it out into a storage tank/barrel, or are you removing the fuel through the fuel drains? The latter would seem to take a long time, though I understand some of them can be twisted to lock open... but then what do you drain the fuel into? Does the FBO buy that fuel back, since it was their error?

Grant, a great story; you and Leslie have had an exciting couple of days!
I love doing Angel Flights--I'd do them full time if I could!
Yes, we have. Did I mention that I toured DuPage (KDPA) tower Thursday, too?
I have a question. How do you de-fuel a plane!? This is one of those things that they don't teach in training. Does the FBO pump it out into a storage tank/barrel, or are you removing the fuel through the fuel drains? The latter would seem to take a long time, though I understand some of them can be twisted to lock open... but then what do you drain the fuel into? Does the FBO buy that fuel back, since it was their error?
I had wondered myself how you defuel a plane. They had a tank on a cart with a hand-powered pump and siphon. It probably holds 25 gallons or so. They put it in the filler neck and someone cranks away. I saw something that may have been a gauge on the tank to determine how much was transferred. The other Angel Flight pilot offered to take the extra fuel. They didn't charge me at all for the fuel, and I don't know what, if anything, they charged him. Everyone was apologetic, and I was understanding. It's just one of those things that happens. I'm just glad that they told me, instead of just charging for the 10 gallons!:yes::eek:

Wow, sounds like your first flight was as crazy as mine was simple. I'm glad it was you not me!!!!

Great feeling, isn't it.:cheerswine:

Wow, sounds like your first flight was as crazy as mine was simple. I'm glad it was you not me!!!!

Great feeling, isn't it.:cheerswine:
Oh yeah! Glad I wasn't flying into Logan for my first flight, though! Flying into O'Hare with Leslie on Saturday was enough. I'd have been without a copilot on the Angel Flight and, as you saw, that is EXTEMELY valuable to have at the busy Class Bravos.

Congrats on your first flight!:cheerswine:

I don't think I'll be doing any more this year, since we're trying to save up for and buy a plane, but once we get one, we'll probably both be into it full force.

Oh, here's the FlightAware for the handflown trip. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NGF11W

I admit I really didn't do a constant airspeed descent, since the ladies had had a LONG day, and really wanted to get set up:
06:23PM 41.60 -88.55 178 6400
arrow_down.gif

Last edited:
Grant

I read this and meant to reply earlier - well done! This is on my eventual list of things I'd like to do with a pilot's license (that should scare EdFred out of hiding).

Did you make it to Boulder for the 99s conference? I am actually going to be there next Friday...

Grant

I read this and meant to reply earlier - well done! This is on my eventual list of things I'd like to do with a pilot's license (that should scare EdFred out of hiding).

Did you make it to Boulder for the 99s conference? I am actually going to be there next Friday...
Thanks! No, we didn't do Boulder, though we're really hoping to do Anchorage next year, hopefully in a plane of our own! (If I keep saying it, maybe it'll come true! :yes:)

Back