First airsick passenger

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
So yesterday I took advantage of the beautiful day we had sandwiched between two crappy days, scheduled a little 152 for a few hours, and took my son (pictured in my avatar - currently 8 years old) up. We started out from 15G (my home airport) and the bumps started on my initial climbout and just didn't stop. Tried a few different altitudes with no change.

About 25 minutes into the flight, my boy told me he was feeling a little sick. Note that I just ordered 8 SicSacs yesterday that will be here at the end of the week, and my flight bag took a tumble before pulling it out of the car and my emergency trash bag fell out. Time to try that diversion thing I heard about!

We were really close to I40 (Richard Downing Airport in Coshockton, OH). Heck, I always meant to visit there anyway. Quick monitor of the AWOS, quick plan of runway entry (still had the OLD version of Foreflight so I had to figure all of that out by myself!!) and had it on the ground in about 5 minutes.

I have to say, for those who haven't been to I40, it is a REALLY nice facility. Brand new, CHEAP gas with full service ($5.12 100LL), and free popcorn in the lounge. The line attendant gave me a couple of garbage bags for the road and after sitting for 20 minutes or so sipping water and chatting up transient pilots (met a nice CFI farmer who flies a 172M out of a grass strip in his back yard - color me jealous!) off we went.

I had originally planned to fly down to CDI (Cambridge) but on another whim at the last minute decided to land at ZZV (Zanesville). Landed, taxied around like a lost moron, picked a better departure runway based on the wind, and headed back north.

The bumps were not as pronounced on the leg back, but it was here that my boy availed himself of the trash bag. He ended up emptying his stomach I think, but the trooper he was, he said it made him feel better and that he continued to enjoy the flight. I think he really does like flying, but the amount we were bouncing around up there, I was feeling a bit queasy. As I feel much less airsick when I'm controlling the plane I can only imagine what it was doing to my passenger.

I think I did everything I could. I tried keeping the rudder locked a bit, different altitudes, as light as I could on the yoke with appropriate trim, and throttled back 5-7 knots below normal cruise to even things out. Even though the flight back was less bumpy, I think that the trip out had already turned his stomach and it was a losing battle at that point.

Ugh. This happened to me (personally) for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend last year with a passenger and up until then, I'd had hints that this was a problem for some people in small airplanes (and some big ones, too!), but there really is nothing like being right there next to someone when they empty their stomach contents unexpectedly (there isn't that much warning... I had less than 30 seconds lead time). On the positive side, he told me that after it happened, he felt 110% better (WTH??!! :yikes:) although maybe he was just telling me that because I didn't feel that great after watching that and kept looking over at him for the rest of the flight like he was a time bomb about to go off. :vomit: It wasn't even that bumpy of a day and it's not like he's a little kid... he's in college. Live and learn, I guess. And always have at least a plastic trash bag in that seat pocket on the co-pilots' side.

Airsick passengers happen. Most of the time, it's not your fault, it's just what happens. I have one passenger who I fly every year, and she gets sick every year. Other than her, I've had two airsick passengers that I can recall. One was a kid who just wasn't feeling good that day, but didn't tell anybody about it until he threw up all over the Aztec, and one was actually on a really rotten day to fly.

Mrs. Steingar gets queasy, and the first time was comign back from Coshockton, now that I think about it. Used to be the hotel would send their van for you and take you into town, which is quite charming. Haven't done that one in a long time.

Anyway, I got one of those biofeedback bracelet thingies and it worked wonders on her. True magic, no reason those things should work.

110% feeling better occurs because your brain dumps some feel good chemicals (dopamine?) to the synapses as a reward for alleviating the nausea.

An add on idea for having the Sic Sacs is to carry the large Folders coffee jugs with you. why? because they have a wide opening and bottom, allowing the full bag to be placed in side, and the lid snapped securly closed. Which is much bettter than asking the now voided passenger to hang on to a bag of what they just voided.

Hey Chris, were there any clouds out when this happened? If yes, what type, appearance, and what altitude?

Hey Chris, were there any clouds out when this happened? If yes, what type, appearance, and what altitude?
When we left there was a scattered to broken cumulus layer at about 3200. About 15-20m in we were in the clear. The clouds were gone by the time we got back, with the sky being mostly clear (few cumulus at maybe 4500).

One item I picked up studying for the IFR written is that cumulous represents some turbulent air underneath them to their bases, and some smooth air above their tops. So next time you're out, see if that applies to your outing.

A pilot friend, a non pilot friend and myself flew to KAPA for lunch one afternoon. Now, between the cumulus clouds that we just couldn't get on top of (they were at 12 or so) and the thermals we had legit moderate the entire way back. Pilot friend and I each at maybe 3/4 of our food. Non pilot friend ate all hers plus the remainder of ours. It was Chinese. Needless to say she barfed halfway back. I felt terrible, it I couldn't control the turbulence. I always keep a few sicsacs in the plane which helps. She learned her lesson though... Don't fly when you just ate five pounds of Chinese food!

First question I ask before a Young Eagles flight, "Does anyone get car sick?"

If there are any bumps at all, don't let your friends stop at Taco Bell for bean burrito on the way to the airport. Don't ask me how I know! :eek:

Thank God for pilot vent windows.

Thank God for pilot vent windows.

On a related note, if your passenger vomits with no warning into their own hands, just have them dump it on the floor or into your flight bag or something, no matter how awful that sounds.

Because it is WAY better than opening a vent window and having them dump it into the airflow which sprays it evenly onto every surface on the interior of the [rental] plane.

As someone who got airsick a bunch during AF pilot training, I picked up some good tricks. Quaker instant oatmeal for breakfast the day of for a good foundation, gingersnap cookies for a snack, peppermint Altoids when you'd step to the plane and during the flight, and always keep one (or more) gallon-size Ziploc slide zip backs handy. Ginger and peppermint do wonders for calming the stomach. The slide zip bags are the best, and don't require fumbling to open or close them.

And for a tip for the pilot with an airsick passenger...if you can't turn off the intercom/hot mike, any local ATIS freq turned up LOUD is a great distraction if your stomach starts turning too..

To this day I keep altoids and ziplocs in both my civilian and work flightbags just in case. There is no telling when someone in your plane - or even you - may need them.

On a related note, if your passenger vomits with no warning into their own hands, just have them dump it on the floor or into your flight bag or something, no matter how awful that sounds.

Because it is WAY better than opening a vent window and having them dump it into the airflow which sprays it evenly onto every surface on the interior of the [rental] plane.

Even if the window is big enough for the passanger to stick his/her/its head out all the way - it's not a good idea.

One item I picked up studying for the IFR written is that cumulous represents some turbulent air underneath them to their bases, and some smooth air above their tops. So next time you're out, see if that applies to your outing.
Based on what you said here, had I climbed over 5000' I probably would have found smooth air. I am going to keep that in mind. The trip was so short that it didn't make much sense to climb that far, but maybe the leg from ZZV to 15G...

Thanks for the tips boilert.

I had to deal with this on a recent flight for the first time. I took a friend up for her first small airplane flight, and she gets car sick when in the back seat, but has never been seasick. Ok, I figured we'd give it a go. It was much bumpier than I expected it to be, and we didn't make it very far, let alone to lunch. From start-up to shutdown was 0.3 on the hobbs.

She didn't get sick, but if I don't think she would have lasted too much longer. We'll see if she wants to give it a second chance.

OK, that thought made my stomach do a slow roll and I am on the ground. I have been fortunate and have never had a PAX upchuck on a flight. I still have the same three blue barf bags I bought 20 years ago. Of course I just realized I have condemned myself to experience this action in the near future, but I will hope that I am wrong.

My wife threw up years ago in a 172. It was hot and bumpy. She did grab a Sic Sac which unfortunately had been in the plane for soo long that is was rotten and the bottom fell out of it. It made an excellent funnel, right in her lap. All this while I am on final and doing my best not to join her. A few years later my brother and his wife and my wife and I were about a half hour into a three hour flight home and while sitting behind me my wife announced " IT'S REALLY HOT IN HERE ". Big red flag ! She then announced as I opened the windows that she had to get cooled of she was going to throw up " WHILE SITTING BEHIND ME ". Next thing I know she is down to her bra and underwear! She made the rest of the trip home just fine much to my relief. She did have a lot of guys offer to take her flying after that. But the best one was a couple of years ago when on a commercial sardine can she announced " IT'S HOT IN HERE ". And then proceeded with no warning to projectile vomit all over the bald headed guy in the seat in front of her. HE WAS NOT AMUSED . I offered to pay for his suit , dry cleaning , or whatever I could do to make amends. To his credit he declined and never said another word except to request a seat change from the flight attendant. Take warning if you here the words IT'S HOT IN HERE !!!!!!!!

I thought I'd bump this. Happened to me today. Passenger in front seat next to me threw up a LOT -- thankfully there was a plastic bag nearby. There wasn't much turbulence and it was a fairly smooth flight. His girlfriend, sitting in back, also did not enjoy the ride and was petrified.

I've probably taken 50+ people flying and never had a reaction quite like the one by those two passengers. I always explain the flight before, brief, announce when I make turns and what I am doing, etc. She kept freaking out whenever anything in the cabin beeped (autopilot, landing gear, etc.) even though I had said to expect beeps and that they were normal, and she was basically clutching on for dear life in straight and level flight with no turbulence. Sad. They are both French (visiting) and have not flown much. In fact, I think her first flight even was the commercial flight she took from France to the states.

:-( Too bad, we had been planning on flying to Mexico but that obviously can't happen now, with her petrified and him getting airsick. Total duration of flight: 36 minutes, long landing and immediate taxi to the ramp approved ;-).

Last edited:
He ended up emptying his stomach I think, but the troper he was, he said it made him feel better and that he continued to enjoy the flight.

That's fortunate! Many passengers (and especially children) understandably develop a strong aversion to flying once they have an episode of airsickness.

For adults, non-prescription Bonine (or generic equivalent) does a good job of mitigating airsickness. I don't know if it's approved for children, though (you might ask your pediatrician).

Nice, old thread but very useful.

I definitely second the ginger advice. Wife can get airsick in the bumps easily. We diverted the first time, like Chris, and the very nice lady at the FBO gave us a lot of ginger candy. Wife was chewing on that for about 1/2 hour and off we went. She felt fine afterwards.

And of course, I agree that 5 pounds of greasy Chinese food or a Taco Bell burrito just before flight is not a good idea. :D That would make one sick on the ground, let alone in the air!

:D

Theme song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GeZZr_p6vB8

My wife threw up years ago in a 172. It was hot and bumpy. She did grab a Sic Sac which unfortunately had been in the plane for soo long that is was rotten and the bottom fell out of it. It made an excellent funnel, right in her lap. All this while I am on final and doing my best not to join her. A few years later my brother and his wife and my wife and I were about a half hour into a three hour flight home and while sitting behind me my wife announced " IT'S REALLY HOT IN HERE ". Big red flag ! She then announced as I opened the windows that she had to get cooled of she was going to throw up " WHILE SITTING BEHIND ME ". Next thing I know she is down to her bra and underwear! She made the rest of the trip home just fine much to my relief. She did have a lot of guys offer to take her flying after that. But the best one was a couple of years ago when on a commercial sardine can she announced " IT'S HOT IN HERE ". And then proceeded with no warning to projectile vomit all over the bald headed guy in the seat in front of her. HE WAS NOT AMUSED . I offered to pay for his suit , dry cleaning , or whatever I could do to make amends. To his credit he declined and never said another word except to request a seat change from the flight attendant. Take warning if you here the words IT'S HOT IN HERE !!!!!!!!

Even if the window is big enough for the passanger to stick his/her/its head out all the way - it's not a good idea.

Had a few people loose their cookies over the years.

One was a new student in an older 172, as I recall the windows had the brace part disconnected for occasional photography.

The guy said he was about to barf, I had him stick his head out the window, worked great, got all over the outside but the only thing inside that took some cleaning was the students mic muff lol

Landed and had the student shoot the plane with the hose and all was well.

Airsick passengers happen. Most of the time, it's not your fault, it's just what happens. I have one passenger who I fly every year, and she gets sick every year. Other than her, I've had two airsick passengers that I can recall. One was a kid who just wasn't feeling good that day, but didn't tell anybody about it until he threw up all over the Aztec, and one was actually on a really rotten day to fly.

I'd recommend prescription scopolamine patches for her. They are incredibly effective but, unfortunately for the OP, only approved for adults AFAIK. My entire extended family has used these and I've never seen them fail. Side effect is mainly dry mouth. My mother has horrible motion sickness. She can't even ride as pax in a car - she has to drive. With scop she was able not only to ride in the *back seat* but actually able to sleep! She was amazed.

I have a lot of experience as an airsick passenger. I was a C172 owner for about 5 years (never got sick) then sold it and I was out of PICing for about 10 years. In that time I volunteered with the Colorado Wing of the Civil Air Patrol. SAR in Colorado = mountain flying and mountain flying = bumps. I thought it was just the back seat that made me sick until I flew right seat and got sick there too.

But the lesson I learned from my time in the mile-high barf club was to forget about sic sacs and carry hefty bags.

30 gal Hefty bags as sic sacs:
  • they fold up small.
  • you'll never fill one up unless you are inhuman
  • you can tie the whole thing in a knot when done and never worry about spillage or smell, and
  • you can stick your whole head inside the bag if you have to and never worry about missing!
  • They are much tougher than sic sacs
  • They can double as... well... garbage bags :D

Last edited:
My wife is a trooper. She doesn't give a fig for the airplane, but does have me drop her off once in a while. Launched into a pretty good aimet for moderate turbulence that was supposed to be ending... It didn't... She complained that she couldn't read her kindle...

I do keep a trash bag in back.. Just in case..

I've made myself (almost) airsick twice. I guess, I WAS airsick, but I didn't throw up. But man, it was close.

first time... Shooting video through an old style VCR type camera, looking through the electronic view finder as we circled (and circled). That was fast. Like, insta-sick.

second time... two weeks ago. Played Portal all morning long, felt a little weird. Went to airport, got in plane, started flight to missouri. Yikes, the motion sickness just came outta nowhere. I put it on autopilot and just stared at the horizon for 5-10 minutes.

Someone on here suggested gallon zip lock bags for airsick bags. There are now some in the plane. :)

The only time I myself felt sick in an airplane was in my friend's T-6 when he took me on his aerobatic practice run. 4 Gs and an upside down position don't help much. But he let me do a few maneuvers too which definitely helped (due to the old "truth" that you don't get sick from your own driving :) ).
A few times, I had to really concentrate hard on repressing the sick feeling because I really wanted to enjoy the ride, it was pretty d*mn great.

Next time he asks, I will be chewing ginger candy like nobody's business on the drive to the airport. :)

I've had a few pax barf next to me. One did it in his camera bag, the other filled a gallon ziplock. I always carry multiple ziplocks with some cut up diapers or feminine pads inside. Good for absorbing #1 in an emergency.

But the lesson I learned from my time in the mile-high barf club was to forget about sic sacs and carry hefty bags.

30 gal Hefty bags as sic sacs:
  • they fold up small.
  • you'll never fill one up unless you are inhuman
  • you can tie the whole thing in a knot when done and never worry about spillage or smell, and
  • you can stick your whole head inside the bag if you have to and never worry about missing!
  • They are much tougher than sic sacs
  • They can double as... well... garbage bags :D

+1.

And they aren't transparent like ziplocks. I can't even look at someone else's sick much less smell it.

Empty peanut butter jar. Wide mouth can't miss and seals nice to minimize the odor.

I had a flight instructor that I really didn't like. On our second and last flight together I kept acting like I was going to barf. I faked the dry heaves a few times in his direction just to amuse myself. Then I let out a good fake heave and he almost departed the airplane.

Little things amuse me so.....:vomit: :lol: :lol:

Back