First "actual" XC today

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
And today it was official - more than 50 miles and a landing at another airport.

I flew to CHO and a friend of mine who lives in Petersburg (professor at the War College there, darned if I can remember the full correct name though) drove up to meet me. We had lunch in CHO and then wandered around a little bit. I bought my Dad a really nice 360 photo of Appomattox in one of the art galleries there. (it was a panorama - pretty long - but it fit in the plane).

The flight in was uneventful - great viz and just a good day to fly. I asked for flight following (practice) even though I didn't really need it, it's an easy flight down. What a pretty day it was for flying.

When I had landed I told the tower "this was my first long XC" and he said "well you did great" and then the pilot of the Citation Jet they parked me next to came over clapping for me. That made me feel pretty darn good! (the tower there is usually pretty quiet, it wasn't like I was stepping all over other traffic).

The ride back was equally peaceful. My Culpeper landing was "OK" but a little bit of a bounce (doh!) and I did a full stop and came back around again for takeoff.

I stayed on course really well, didn't screw up entering the ADIZ, stayed under the Class B, and had decent if not perfect landings each time.

Good job, Beth! Now keep the momentum going! :yes:

Congratulations!!! One giant step closer to that coveted ticket.

CHO is a pretty nice operation, isn't it?

It really is. Everyone is so friendly and it just felt nice and laid back.

Now I'm finally reaping the rewards of all this effort - I can meet up with a friend for lunch! I did that drive last year (same friend) and it took nearly two hours each way.

Wait till you fly down to your place at Myrtle Beach (?). You'll never want to drive again! Or fly commercial!!!

Congratulations. As a student pilot (myself) with a lot to learn and to experience, stories like yours are truly inspiring. Keep the good work and keep on trucking (oops, meant flying).

Aurea

Excellent, Elizabeth! Keep it up--soon you'll be waiting for that piece of plastic in the mail from the FAA--the one with the portraits of Wilbur and Orville...

Jim

XCs, especially solo XCs, are when I finally felt like a 'real' pilot. Good job and keep up the progress!!

Cool place to fly to BTW. My favorite story about Appomattox is that the house where Lee surrendered to Grant was owned by Wilbur McClain. Mr. McClain had moved to Appomattox looking for a quiet place to escape from the ravages of war. he had previously lived in Mananas where one of the first battle of the Civil War took place. his house there had been used as the Union HQ.

In the years after the Civil War he would rightfully say, "The war started in my front yard and ended in my parlor"

:)

XCs, especially solo XCs, are when I finally felt like a 'real' pilot. Good job and keep up the progress!!

Cool place to fly to BTW. My favorite story about Appomattox is that the house where Lee surrendered to Grant was owned by Wilbur McClain. Mr. McClain had moved to Appomattox looking for a quiet place to escape from the ravages of war. he had previously lived in Mananas where one of the first battle of the Civil War took place. his house there had been used as the Union HQ.

In the years after the Civil War he would rightfully say, "The war started in my front yard and ended in my parlor"

:)

Haha! I'll have to tell my Dad that (although he probably already knows...)

Yes, I'm beginning to feel like a real pilot. finally.

Nice. You're almost there!

Congrats Elizabeth!

In no time at all you will be posting your checkride write up! Glad you enjoyed the great weather from the air!

Yay Beth!

Feels good doesn't it....

And it was a beautiful day for flying... high pressure and clear skies from Texas to the east coast.

The weather was just fabulous. Couldn't have asked for a prettier day. How did the rest of your day go Bill?

The weather was just fabulous. Couldn't have asked for a prettier day. How did the rest of your day go Bill?

It went great.

I flew my plane from San Antonio to Manassas yesterday, with one stop at Corinth, Mississippi (east of Memphis). The whole way VFR direct, with flight following the whole way. Bit of headwind until I got out of Texas, bit of tailwind from Corinth up to Manassas. 8.8 hours in the air. And max-gross on takeoff loaded with my email server (12 hours of downtime to move the server, not bad) and some other stuff from the house.

I usually file & fly IFR on long trips, but the weather looked so good that I decided to go VFR at 9500 feet. It was a real treat to go lower and have a great view.

The plane is now comfortably resting at Manassas while I find a home for it. I'm also looking for recommendations for instrument instructors in the general area.

I've got one more car/carload to bring to DC, then I'll be completely moved needing only to get someone to buy the old house.

Brava!! :)

Every time I hear about someone else's first XC, it takes me right back to my first. It's more thrilling, in a way, than the first solo hop in the pattern... it's when you really feel like a pilot!
Good job!!

Tom, stay tuned, a trip to Raleigh may be in the works this fall.

Bill, congrats! You weren't joking when you said you were leaving on a long flight when I called you.

"Rotty" - right on! That's how it felt.

You're right. When you start flying long cross country flights you really feel like you're a pilot. All that stuff you've been learning in bits and pieces starts to come together as a whole. You'll have that plastic card before you know it. Keep it up!

It went great.

I flew my plane from San Antonio to Manassas yesterday, with one stop at Corinth, Mississippi (east of Memphis). The whole way VFR direct, with flight following the whole way. Bit of headwind until I got out of Texas, bit of tailwind from Corinth up to Manassas. 8.8 hours in the air. And max-gross on takeoff loaded with my email server (12 hours of downtime to move the server, not bad) and some other stuff from the house.

Bill. Nice job! That's a lot of time in the air. I'll be doing that in a few months. I really enjoyed the long trips in the Tiger. Philly to Denver, then Denver to Lexington. GA travel is still pretty amazing when you think about it.

Great job Elizabeth! You're getting really close now!

Back