Firefox trick

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, I know we have a lot of Firefox users. Here's something cool I just learned about. Type about:config in your browser address bar and press enter. There are tons of settings you can change to tweak your environment (such as turning off the sound when you do a type-ahead-find. Anything in bold is stuff you've changed from defaults.

You ever get the "Find" box popping up at the bottom of the screen when you press the apostrophe key? Nothing frustrates me more... you can turn it off by pressing the apostrophe key again, by itself. It turns off that mode.

Thanks Troy!

Just scanned the list and learned that adblock was not enabled... I'd been wondering why I couldn't get it to hide ads that I'd explicitly asked it to; guess somewhere along the way they added a checkbox to enable/disable and I missed it. Doh!

Is there a spell checker that is updated to the latest version of Firefox? I'm in desparate need!

mikea said:
Is there a spell checker that is updated to the latest version of Firefox? I'm in desparate need!
What version are you using, and what spell checker were you using?

I have the latest version of Firefox (1.5.0.6) and my Google Toolbar spellchecker works fine, but I guess many folks don't like the Google toolbar. Even those with needs that are widely disparate.

alaskaflyer said:
What version are you using, and what spell checker were you using?

I have the latest version of Firefox (1.5.0.6) and my Google Toolbar spellchecker works fine, but I guess many folks don't like the Google toolbar. Even those with needs that are widely disparate.
1.5.0.6 on Mac OS X 10.4.7

I know Diana was looking for an update because Firefox will disable the extensions at every version change if the extension doesn't say it'll work...so extension authors have to have psychic powers. They gotta fix that.

Spellbound hasn't been updated since 2005.
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

I think I had to reinstall the Google toolbar when I updated to the latest version of Firefox, but once reinstalled it works fine. I disable the functions I don't want, opt out of the data reporting for privacy, and use the spellchecker. Works fine for me.

alaskaflyer said:
I think I had to reinstall the Google toolbar when I updated to the latest version of Firefox, but once reinstalled it works fine. I disable the functions I don't want, opt out of the data reporting for privacy, and use the spellchecker. Works fine for me.
OK, I surrender. I installed the Google toolbar.

Thanks!

mikea said:
I know Diana was looking for an update because Firefox will disable the extensions at every version change if the extension doesn't say it'll work...so extension authors have to have psychic powers. They gotta fix that.
Hey, Mike, I finally got mine to work after fussing with it for several days. Now, I just have to remember what I did! I'll work on it after dinner and let you know. :)

Except for IE, I've found that this works in other browsers also. Depending on the browser, you either right click to change the entry or click on the entry and enter the appropriate data.
The downside is I'm not sure what is the right value. I guess tinkering is the only choice.

mikea said:

Spellbound hasn't been updated since 2005.
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/
Mike, I finally found it. Last time I got on here I didn't have to register, but this time I did. This is where I got the updated version of Spellbound as of Dec. 2005 and it works with my updated Firefox (1.5.0.6):

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=351130&sid=09d459f8364e53ca40b4b924240246d0

Back