firefox crashing

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
this morning i turned off my computer, which is unusual for me. after turning it on this afternoon firefox will not open. occasionally i get a glimpse at a tab that says something like "well this is embarassing" and then i get a crash thing. it says it can send a report so i click that and click quit firefox but then it says there was a problem sending the report.

so first time through this i tried opening IE and got the blue screen of death and the computer restarted. then i reset my interweb connection by unplugging/replugging the router. now IE is working, but when i tried to download the latest version of firefox it told me there was something wrong with the page and would have to close.

any ideas?

here is what it says:

Add-ons: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.07,moveplayer@movenetworks.com:1.0.0.071101000055,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.5.3
BuildID: 20090824101458
CrashTime: 1252966513
InstallTime: 1252812902
ProductName: Firefox
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 253
StartupTime: 1252966512
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
URL:
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 3.5.3
This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

My Firefox has not been happy the last day or two since I installed the update. It works OK for a while then it freezes up.

Try renaming your AppData/Mozilla directory (I think that is the path)
That gets rid of all the plugins and bookmarks. I have to do that from time to time when my firefox gets messed up. Probably due to conflicting plugins.

If that works you will need to reinstall all your plugins, but you should be able to restore your bookmarks.

Another possibility is check your event viewer ( assuming windows) and make sure you are not getting ready to have drive failure.

im pretty sure i am not running anything other than stock firefox. no plugins that i know of.

Try running Firefox in Safe Mode. By default when you install it there are two icons in the All Programs under Firefox; one of them is Safe Mode. It should open with a blank home page and no extensions active.

Also, the "This is embarrassing" screen is probably saying that it cannot open the pages that were open when it shut down.

I think i remember trying to run firefox in safe mode but it didnt help. can try it again when i get home.

curious, what would cause my profile to go bad? i did remember that i recently updated to Adobe Flash Player 10 or something like that so youtube videos would work again...

I'm no techie but what about this line?

Add-ons: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.07,moveplayer@movenetworks.com:1 .0.0.071101000055,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.5.3

I'd start looking for this moveplayer? addon/app and remove it and see what happens...
unless that is your email address.....just out of curiosity i copied that email and pasted it in a new tab and got this pop-up msg

You are about to log in to the site "movenetworks.com" with the username "moveplayer", but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.

Is "movenetworks.com" the site you want to visit?

so if you have nothing to do with movenetworks i'd say thats the trouble...

Back