Firefox 3.5

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
When I purchased the netbook, I downloaded FF 3.5. All works well except for it not remembering passwords. At one point I was able to go into "tools", "options", "security" and made sure the 'remember password' box was checked. But when I came to a site, the pop up at the top of the page would not show up asking if I wanted to remember the password.

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled FF last night. Now I can't even get the "security" tab to open the dialog box. And, it still won't remember passwords.

Can somebody throw me a bone to resolve this problem? Keep in mind that I'm a technotard so use small words. :D

Thanks!!

Have you tried to create a new profile?

Remember the "technotard" comment? lol

Not sure what you're asking me, Bob. I understand profiles but am not aware them wrt FF.

hmmm, it appears to be more awkward then I thought... anyway, from
the firefox online help (I'm guessing you are on windoze of some flavor):
Windows Vista

1. Exit Firefox. To close Firefox, at the top of the Firefox window, select the File menu, and then select Exit.
  2. Open the Windows Start menu. In the Start Search box in the bottom left, type
    firefox.exe -ProfileManager and press Enter.
Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP

1. Exit Firefox. To close Firefox, at the top of the Firefox window, select the File menu, and then select Exit.
  2. Select the START menu in the Windows Taskbar. Then, select Run.
  3. In the Run dialog, enter the following:firefox.exe -ProfileManager

Alright, the profile routine allowed me to go into the security tab. "Remember passwords" was checked. I unchecked and rechecked, then selected ok.

Relaunched and opened POA, entered username and passord making sure the "remember password" box was checked. Closed FF, relaunched, opened POA but the u/n and p/w were not there. Argh.

Thanks for getting me this far Bob.

Any other advice???

Last edited:
Interested in knowing whether it's saved any passwords. Go into the same security screen where you tell it to save passwords, and click "Saved passwords". Anything there? Maybe more than one for PoA? If there is more than one, delete them and see if that works.

Interested in knowing whether it's saved any passwords. Go into the same security screen where you tell it to save passwords, and click "Saved passwords". Anything there? Maybe more than one for PoA? If there is more than one, delete them and see if that works.

It shows no saved p/w's, Grant. :dunno:

Do you have the "Clear History" option enabled? If so, make sure "Passwords" isn't checked.

Do you have the "Always Save Password" extension installed? If so, uninstall it.

Are you automatically starting FF in Private Browsing mode? If so, uncheck that option.

-Rich

Do you have the "Clear History" option enabled? If so, make sure "Passwords" isn't checked.

Do you have the "Always Save Password" extension installed? If so, uninstall it.

Are you automatically starting FF in Private Browsing mode? If so, uncheck that option.

-Rich

Rich - can you provide some guidance as to where to locate these items so they can be verified?

Thanks!

Rich - can you provide some guidance as to where to locate these items so they can be verified?

Thanks!

"Clear History" option: Tools -> Options -> Privacy

"Always Save Password" extension: Tools: -> Add-Ons -> Extensions

"Private Browsing mode:" Tools -> Options -> Privacy

-Rich

I'm not sure I get what the problem is.

When you go to PoA does it not fill in your username and password?

Or when you check the remember password box on the PoA log in page does it make you do it again next time?

If it's the second one it might be a cookie saving issue. Check Tools/Options/Privacy and see if you are saving cookies. If you are you may have marked them session only. On the same page go to "show cookies" and delete the pilotsofamerica.com folder of cookies and if it asks if you want to save them say "allow" not "allow for session".

that was a lot of typing for not knowing if it was the problem, oh well.

Joe

I'm not sure I get what the problem is.

When you go to PoA does it not fill in your username and password?

Or when you check the remember password box on the PoA log in page does it make you do it again next time?

If it's the second one it might be a cookie saving issue. Check Tools/Options/Privacy and see if you are saving cookies. If you are you may have marked them session only. On the same page go to "show cookies" and delete the pilotsofamerica.com folder of cookies and if it asks if you want to save them say "allow" not "allow for session".

that was a lot of typing for not knowing if it was the problem, oh well.

Joe

Thanks, Joe!

Back