Firefighting

JamesRTomas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JamesR
Greetings everyone,

I just started my flight school and have been progressing in my training. I am interested in aerial firefighting and have a few questions for those of you who may take part in this. First off what is the life of an aerial firefighter like? Second what training would I need to complete to get involved in this? Third what aircraft is normally used? Nothing against rotor wing pilots but this is more directed at fixed wing pilots. Any information that can be given would be fantastic.

Thank you

Greetings everyone,

I just started my flight school and have been progressing in my training. I am interested in aerial firefighting and have a few questions for those of you who may take part in this. First off what is the life of an aerial firefighter like? Second what training would I need to complete to get involved in this? Third what aircraft is normally used? Nothing against rotor wing pilots but this is more directed at fixed wing pilots. Any information that can be given would be fantastic.

Thank you

Welcome to POA.....

Ps.. I don't have big enough testicles to fly fixed wing firefighting aircraft..:no:

Check back when you have a few thousand hours of multi-engine time. And most companies are moving to turbojet A/C as the round engine fleet retires. A quick Google search can put you in touch with the operations you are interested in.

Just a comment on aircraft type: lots of SEAT around since the many of the multi-engined aircraft have been retired. The SEAT are basically ag aircraft adapted to the firefighting role.

Other than the work is seasonal and transient in nature I know little about it.

Just a comment on aircraft type: lots of SEAT around since the many of the multi-engined aircraft have been retired. The SEAT are basically ag aircraft adapted to the firefighting role.

Other than the work is seasonal and transient in nature I know little about it.

I think Eric used to fly point for the firefighters. Lead airplane that checked the area, winds, made sure the area was clear, etc.

I think Eric used to fly point for the firefighters. Lead airplane that checked the area, winds, made sure the area was clear, etc.

Lead planes are usually USFS or CalFire or BLM, (depending on agency involved of course) and are crewed by a VERY experienced pilot, an observer, (and the incident commander in some cases). It is NOT an entry level position. Several years firefighting experience is required. I have family members who have flown USFS lead, (Barons), and DC-6s for private contractors. The work is seasonal of course, and consists of a lot of sitting around waiting for a call.

Lead planes are usually USFS or CalFire or BLM, (depending on agency involved of course) and are crewed by a VERY experienced pilot, an observer, (and the incident commander in some cases). It is NOT an entry level position. Several years firefighting experience is required. I have family members who have flown USFS lead, (Barons), and DC-6s for private contractors. The work is seasonal of course, and consists of a lot of sitting around waiting for a call.

Sorry, I should have added the sentence...."Eric could provide more info". I think he worked for BLM or USFS.

Back in the day I wanted a job with the USFS flying lead plane, which at the time was a Baron. By the time I had the required multi time they weren't doing too much hiring. Then I got too old (no new hires over 40). I do remember going out to KBJC and talking with someone about the job, though.

Contact Patty Wagstaff. She does firefighting flights during the off season. I think she has an email at Flying Magazine.

Or Henning. Henning does everything! :)

I flew Smoke Jumpers for four seasons in Alaska. Got into it by pure luck and being in the right place at the right time. For the most part, other than the who you know part, you'll probably need at least a couple thousand hours. Turbine time is almost a must as well.

Specifically for Smoke Jumpers, there are only two organizations that I know of that fly them. One is Uncle Sam, the other is Big Horn, out of Sheridan, WY.

From what I've seen, air attack is typically government planes with government pilots (State and Fed).

Bombers/tankers tend to be contracted, but occasionally the Guard or big Air Force will help out. I don't know any company names off the top of my head unfortunately, since most of the big bomber companies lost the use of their aging planes. If you want to fly SEATS, you'll need to build up several hundred hours of tail wheel time.

For all of the above, certifiable low level (under 500 AGL) time will be needed. Certifiable low level time includes pipeline patrol, wild life survey, etc. It does not include scud running and buzzing Aunt Mable's farm.

Caveat: I haven't been involved in the industry for over eight years. Things may have changed, included my memory.

#1 Do you like camping ?
#2 Do you have several ex-wives chasing you for child support and alimony ?

If yes, the firefighting lifestyle may be for you :D

It is the same itinerant lifestyle tat pipeline welders, custom harvesters and some ag pilots live. I guess it can be fun and good money for a couple of years, it doesn't sound like a great long-term career.

Not a fire pilot, but I do know that Cal Fire's fixed wings are flown by Dyncorp pilots on contract. They fly S-2T tankers and OV-10 air attacks. Air attack is a pilot and a battalion chief orbiting over the tankers and helos, directing the attack on the fire. Cal Fire does not use lead planes. The S-2s are flown single pilot. Their helos are flown by firefighters.

They are excellent pilots, no doubt, and they do incredible work. Sometimes I wish I had taken a different path so I could have a shot at flying fires.

USFS - I flew right seat air patrol (fire spotter) for around 20 years. These were contact single and some twins to spot fire after lighting busts or high human risk weekend. Spot one and then work with ground crews, tankers, or lead; whoever dispatch decided was needed. Barons were the staple for years as lead. Then they timed out (also cracked a spar in rough air). They were headed toward King Airs when I retired. Also looking at contract lead instead of FS owned. I haven't kept up the since I left. The States are using SEAT and the BLM. Not sure if the FS ever accepted them. SEAT are good for close by initial attack but speed limits their range. The 747/DC10s are limited to by altitude and terrain. C130s were about the best but getting the later models into private hands was a problem. Air Attack Boss did require substantial ground qualifications before flying. They are the ATC and more of fire aircraft.

Eric

Back