Fired Pilot awarded $500K

gkaiser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gkaiser
This was in my local newspaper, regarding a flight center at my local airport Lake in the Hills/3CK... Thought it was interesting...
Article can be read here at

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/11/07/fired-lith-pilot-awarded-500k/a4udogf/

But, basically in 2009 this flight center fired a pilot after he complained to the FSDO that they were asking him to sign a back-dated/incorrect form and and falsify a pilot certification form he performed for another pilot. He complained to the FAA in March, and was fired in April coincidentally.

OSHA did their investigation and required the company re-hire him back immediately and give him $500,000 back pay.

Very interesting story..curious of the real story...the news article just mentions the flight center said it was a disgruntled ex-employee....gotta be more to it though..

Howard Seedorf, the owner of the company, has said he plans to continue to fight this. I think Howard doth protest too much. There is a lot of palace intrigue surrounding Howard and NIFC. A prior serious accident in which a couple of pilots were killed also shows that there may be a pattern here.

Every company has to post federal and local rights posters. They clearly say that it's illegal to penalize whistleblowers. I don't understand how the owner thought he could get away with this.

Howard Seedorf, the owner of the company, has said he plans to continue to fight this. I think Howard doth protest too much. There is a lot of palace intrigue surrounding Howard and NIFC. A prior serious accident in which a couple of pilots were killed also shows that there may be a pattern here.

Very interesting. So perhaps this isn't the end of reading about NIFC in the paper/FAA articles? Nice FBO/friendly people...in matter of fact I'll be there in the morning departing out of 3CK...

I don't agree with what he did when he went to the FAA but I also don't agree with the company asking him to sign past records an and then firing him when he didn't. In aviation we don't need people to go to the governing body when they see something that they don't like!!! But I can say that his career in aviation is done! Oh well we don't need people in the industry like that anyways!

Assuming that this individual is speaking the truth...from the article...question is IF..

Then good on him by having the integrity to step up. Some may not like the "rat to the feds" mentality, but integrity is the one thing the aviation community can no lack. I have seen, heard, and read about operators trying to skirt safety for the almighty dollar or reputation. The status quo of cheating the system does not have to be tolerated, it needs to go.

I'd prefer my mechanics, fellow instructors, and fellow pilots to be a role model for integrity on to our future generation.

Cheating is endemic and unlikely to change. When you encounter it first- hand, you'll have a choice to make. Many cheaters have long careers, whistleblowers or those who confront the cheaters don't. Good luck.

Assuming that this individual is speaking the truth...from the article...question is IF..

Then good on him by having the integrity to step up. Some may not like the "rat to the feds" mentality, but integrity is the one thing the aviation community can no lack. I have seen, heard, and read about operators trying to skirt safety for the almighty dollar or reputation. The status quo of cheating the system does not have to be tolerated, it needs to go.

I'd prefer my mechanics, fellow instructors, and fellow pilots to be a role model for integrity on to our future generation.

IF they really asked him to backdate stuff/ falsify a record, they deserve to be squashed. There are numerous other operators who are legit, and suffer from an operator who does this stuff. IF THEY REALLY asked him to do this stuff.....500 K is not enough. That's 5-10 year's wages and this guy will not fly agailn.

Cheating is endemic and unlikely to change. When you encounter it first- hand, you'll have a choice to make. Many cheaters have long careers, whistle-blowers or those who confront the cheaters don't. Good luck.

True...its sad that this is the case. I have aviation as a hobby and as a business... I luckily got a start to my adult career in the Air Force, and I learned this is so much more than accepting mediocrity.

But I've been in aviation long enough to know what you say is just as much the truth, whether or not I choose to accept it myself.

Yep, Jerry MacGuire's mantra doesn't stop with organized sports.

True...its sad that this is the case. I have aviation as a hobby and as a business... I luckily got a start to my adult career in the Air Force, and I learned this is so much more than accepting mediocrity.

But I've been in aviation long enough to know what you say is just as much the truth, whether or not I choose to accept it myself.

Back