Fire on Take Off!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
As I started my take off roll yesterday, a few minutes after another plane had taken off, I notice a large plum of black smoke. It was off the end of the runway and I started to think the worst as I searched the sky for the plane that had left in front of me.

But once I got about 400 feet AGL I could tell it was a humdinger of a barn fire. I quick grabbed my camera and shot a couple of pics.

Last edited:
WOW what a site indeed Scott!
Glad to hear it wasn't plane related.

As I started my take off roll yesterday, a few minutes after another plane had taken off, I notice a large plum of black smoke. It was off the end of the runway and I started to think the worst as I searched the sky for the plane that had left in front of me.

But once I got about 400 feet AGL I could tell it was a humdinger of a barn fire. I quick grabbed my camera and shot a couple of pics.

Nice shots! I'm reminded of a flight to Cape May when I was still living in NJ. I saw the plume from about 50 nm out...

The Coast Guard just let it burn out because the boat was so fully involved. There were no injuries BTW and the people on the boat were rescued by another boat.

Attachments

• 4885.jpg
    4885.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 4895.jpg
    4895.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 39
Wow.. What a bad time of year to loose the equipment shed! (As if there is a 'good' time to lose it.)

Of course, Tony sees this as a gold mine full of good thermal action. ha!

I was getting some dual and coming back on the 45 to downwind when we saw smoke raising from behind the airport. I said, "There's a fire near the airport." There are sometimes big fires with farmers burning leaves and such. Then, "No! It IS THE AIRPORT!" The big hangar with the FBO was on fire.

We landed and taxied to a tie down far away to stay clear of the fire fighters.

Carefull, some of those big fires can turn into IFR weather. I had to divert around some in florida when they're doing those darn forest burns. Talk about a nessesary evil. Glad no one was hurt in those fires btw.

Back