Finding tower phone numbers?

deyoung

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Hypothetically, you're out on a XC somewhere not too near your familiar home base. You have a radio failure, but you think "hey, my cell phone works just fine (FCC rules notwithstanding), I'll use it to call Podunk Tower over there to coordinate my landing."

But... how would you go about finding the number? The AFD usually has a number for the airport manager, but I'm sure that's not the tower... are these published anywhere?

Hypothetically, you're out on a XC somewhere not too near your familiar home base. You have a radio failure, but you think "hey, my cell phone works just fine (FCC rules notwithstanding), I'll use it to call Podunk Tower over there to coordinate my landing."

But... how would you go about finding the number? The AFD usually has a number for the airport manager, but I'm sure that's not the tower... are these published anywhere?

I'd bet you could get it from 1(800) WX-BRIEF.

Or print this out and carry it with you.

http://www.csobeech.com/files/ATC-Phone-Numbers.pdf

At a fly in, there was a tower controller from the nearby Class C airport, answering pilot questions. I asked about their landline, and in particular whether tower controllers are bothered by their phone ringing often with robocalls. Like "Heather from cardholder services", and "it is urgent that you ..." and so on.

He said they received no robocalls at all, and he explained that their phone doesn't ring like a typical landline. It functions more like an intercom. I still don't know what that's all about.

He wasn't talking about a typical landline. He was talking about the lines to other ATC facilities which do indeed function more like an intercom. All towers have a typical landline and it is just a regular phone usually at the watch supervisor's desk and it rings all the time. I take it off the hook pretty often.

Tim why are there AD and DOD controllers there? Because of the boneyard?

Civilians (DoD) are there because of continuity and deployments required of the AD controllers. Most AF facilities have at least a few DoD civilians working there. We have four with around 15 AD with another 15 trainees. Some are ALL civilian such as Edwards AFB. I don't know why, nobody invited me to that particular committee. Boneyard has nothing to do with our manning.

Never had any DOD where I served, guess all these wars have caused it. Was there some at CAFB when you were there?

I remember back during VN era Moody had FAA controllers as the AF guys were over there. Had a higher traffic count than ORD due to all the pilot training going on at the time.

Back