Finding/Starting an Aircraft Partnership

Sykes

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sykes
Hi all,

Recent refugee from the red board there (wow, it's empty these days). I am curious if any of you know of any particularly good resources for where to find likeminded pilots with either existing partnerships or who are interested in starting a new partnership for an plane. The APA used to work reasonably well, but AOPA managed to completely destroy it after they acquired it. ASO has a pretty anemic partnership sections. Any other thoughts about where to look?

I currently co-own a C182 and am looking to move up to something faster and with a bit more payload ... perhaps a C310. 50% or 33% ownership seems ideal. Part of the problem is that I currently fly out of KSQL, but I'd like to find a partnership at KOAK, and I don't actually know anyone that flies out of that airport (nor do I hang out much there since my current plane is based at KSQL).

Any advice you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Are there any cork boards at your preferred airport where you can just post a flyer indicating that you're looking for partners? Are there any email lists or daily/weekly email newsletters for California aviators? In Louisiana we have the LA Aviator newsletter that details local events and people looking for planes, etc...

Welcome to Pilots of America! I'm not sure if you checked recently but AOPA actually revised the APA site from when they first aquired it. Its now free and I find it works pretty well, certainly better than it did.

I had great success on Craigslist. Found 2 of my 3 partners that way.

Every co-own situation starts in one of two ways. It's either an airplane looking for a group of owners or a group of owners looking for an airplane. The strategy will depend on the situation, but is similar to police work. The first task is to identify the likely suspects, then round them up for questioning.

If you do decide on a 310, we have a decent number of local owners/pilots of them. I fly and manage a Colemill 310N for my non-profit.

I saw today that AOPA is dropping their Aircraft Partnership during January. Said the benefit didn't justify the cost.

I ran across a site called AircraftPartnership.com. Registration is currently free. I don't know how much traffic they get.

This does seem to be an unmet need. I'm considering looking for a partner for my twin at STS.

Back