Finding people for a partnership through the internet?

German guy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Oliver
My wife and I are currently happy members of a flying club in which we are owner-operators of a fleet of well maintained and well equippers Archers and a fixed gear Saratoga. I would however really (I mean REALLY) like to have a faster (150+ kts) plane, for the longer weekend / vacation trips, what is however not a realistic option for our club. I was thinking of a Mooney M20J, Bonanza, Piper PA24 or (possibly) something bigger like a 210 or a Lance. Nice examples of these aircraft seem to be available for under $100k, what I would also see as our budget for the purchase.

Now, the problem is that my wife thinks that no matter whether the plane actually costs $50k or $100k, the required financial efforts for insurance, hangar, maintenance etc. are simply not justifiable with the amount of hours we fly. I have to admit that I agree with her to a point, as we fly only between 70 and 100 hours / year.

A partnership with somebody else might theoretically solve this issue, as most of the costs will be divided by two. I am however concerned that we might trade the higher expenses with difficulties on a personal level. Also, we would most likely have to find a partner through an internet ad, I however feel quite uncomfortable about starting something like this with somebody who I barely know: Personally and as a pilot.

So, I guess my question is whether somebody has actually met (potential) partners through the internet and what his / her experiences were? I read a number of partnership threads, it appears however that most partnerships are formed between people who already knew each other for quite some time.

Oliver

Last edited:
I'm in this same boat.. I could probably do a 3-4 way split in a cherokee 6 or an a-36, but sole ownership would eat my lunch

I'm in a similar boat. But I already own a Bonanza and would like to find a "suitable" partner to share hangar, maintenance and insurance expenses. But finding a suitable partner is probably as difficult as finding a suitable spouse. You have to be careful.

Even if you hear fifty stories of people successfully finding a good partner on the internet, there is no guarantee that if you advertise on the internet, you won't find some creep.

Does anyone know of any sort of standard application that you would have a prospective partner fill out? Would you run credit checks or background checks?Or a standard contract that you would both sign that would cover most contingencies?

I've been in a couple partnerships.

Rule #1: The right partner is far more important than the right airplane.

I'm fortunate that I've been asked to share an airplane with somebody that I'd known for years, pretty much my whole life. At that point, it's just a bonus that they had a really cool airplane. Handshake deal, no written agreement whatsoever. It has worked wonderfully.

Personally, I would never enter a partnership with a stranger.

Back