Finding out names

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Didn't we decide we should know who we are addressing on this board? If someone uses a tail number or other moniker, is there a place to find out their proper name rather than just replying to a post from Whirly Guy for instance?

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Didn't we decide we should know who we are addressing on this board? If someone uses a tail number or other moniker, is there a place to find out their proper name rather than just replying to a post from Whirly Guy for instance?

Best,

Dave
I think you're referring to "Display Name", which doesn't have to match Userid.

The decision was to give users flexibility on what was put in "Display Name". We're not requiring real names, however.

Dave Siciliano said:
Didn't we decide we should know who we are addressing on this board?
I don't know who you mean by "we". We the Management Team, however, did not.

Anonymity is a feature of the internet, and I could post as Sally Struthers, and you'ld only know it wasn't me - er - her - if I let it slip that it wasn't me - er - her. Attempting to mandate real name validation on an internet forum is futile. (This is 20+ years personal netizen experience talking on this one.)

If someone uses a tail number or other moniker, is there a place to find out their proper name rather than just replying to a post from Whirly Guy for instance?
We allow the use of handles/monikers/tail numbers, and we allow you to change your "display name" in much the same way the "other" forums did. However, every post you make is tied to your user ID (username, like for me, Greebo), and your IP (your computer's address on the internet).

We do *not* allow the creation of user accounts for the purpose of posting troll posts or baiting posts, a problem that was seen on the other forums. We also only allow unregistered posting in two forums, and watch those posts carefully.

Because we can track by IP, we can tie anonymous posts that violate our policies to user identites of registered users, and we can also block IPs, permanently if necessary, from accessing our site.

Because we have teeth in our rules of conduct, we are quite content to be satisfied with tying posts to registered users, and not concerned with the real name behind the post.

Hopefully this addresses any concerns you might have,

Sincerely,

Tony Randall

I liked the feature available in the past where we had the choice of emailing someone... I guess including an email address is optional now.. security probably.

It is a matter of individual choice whether users wish to allow other members to send them email. The option can be changed under the User CP - Edit Options - Receive Email from Other Members

Greebo said:
I don't know who you mean by "we". We the Management Team, however, did not.

Anonymity is a feature of the internet, and I could post as Sally Struthers, and you'ld only know it wasn't me - er - her - if I let it slip that it wasn't me - er - her. Attempting to mandate real name validation on an internet forum is futile. (This is 20+ years personal netizen experience talking on this one.)

We allow the use of handles/monikers/tail numbers, and we allow you to change your "display name" in much the same way the "other" forums did. However, every post you make is tied to your user ID (username, like for me, Greebo), and your IP (your computer's address on the internet).

I too, would prefer to be able to see a "real" name on each post, or at least have a way to reference one for each poster. Granted that name may still be fictitous, but only in the case of a deliberate deception.

Right now I think that many members have registered with something other than their name and then chosen a "handle" that's different from either their user ID and their name. And as I understand it, it's difficult to change one's user ID (requires sysop intervention), so anyone who registered with a "handle" for the user ID and then decided to add a different moniker cannot display an actual name on their own.

Personally I'd like to see you to at least encourage users to put their name in one or the other (ID or moniker) and offer an easy means to change the ID to a "real" name if that's the preference.

An alternative would be to provide a way to display a "real" name along with the location and join date, and leave everything else as is.

lancefisher said:
Right now I think that many members have registered with something other than their name and then chosen a "handle" that's different from either their user ID and their name. And as I understand it, it's difficult to change one's user ID (requires sysop intervention), so anyone who registered with a "handle" for the user ID and then decided to add a different moniker cannot display an actual name on their own.
Display name should be revisable at the user level (User CP, Edit Profile). Userid and display name do not need to match.

While your userid is "lancefisher", your display name is "Lance Fisher". Your userid could be "beechbaron" and you could still have "Lance Fisher" as your display name.

Personally, I like to see real names but it's not a requirement here.

If I used my "real" name would anyone know who the heck they were talking to anyway?

Interestingly, my "callsign" has turned into my alternate "real" name over the years..... kinda like common-law marriage. It's the rare friend that I've met online that calls me Barbara, or can even remember what my birthname is.

It's all about being consistant.

Interestingly, my "callsign" has turned into my alternate "real" name over the years..... kinda like common-law marriage. It's the rare friend that I've met online that calls me Barbara, or can even remember what my birthname is.
===============================================

We don't mind addressing you as Moxie :D.

I do feel a little bit funny responding to someone I don't know with: Hey Fuzzynaval136907, I really liked your post. Or, gee Whirllygiggle, I'd really like more information on AIM section.... :confused:

It would be nice to have more than a tail number or moniker other than "buttforface good lookin guy". :zap!:

Heck: if I did reply, how do I know he won't call me something back!! Then, I might just as well go back to that OTHER BOARD. :target:

Guess I'll just not reply to someone I can't reasonably address. :rolleyes:

Best,

Dave

My User ID is Maverick but my display name is Jean which is my real name. When I registered here I chose Maverick as my User ID because it's my ID on another site. I always sign my posts with my name as well.

Complete anonymity can put some people off but we have to also realize that the internet can be a dangerous place as well. That's why I never use my tail number or post pictures with my tail number. It's just too easy to look up and get the owners address.

Jean

Back