Finding nearest frequency in Foreflight

SkyVoyager

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SkyVoyager
I'm sure this should be obvious, but is there a way to quickly find the nearest frequencies in Foreflight (i.e. approach, departure, center) without having to search for an airport, first?

Thanks!

you can hold your finger down on the map where you are, and it will give you a list of waypoints ordered my distance. Pick the first airport on the list, and you should be good to go.

But I don't think that will get you ARTCC numbers...one of the nice things about Garmin GPSes.

True, but can't you just look on the IFR chart? Doesn't that have those numbers listed?

Last edited:
Center freqs are listed for some airports. Most do list nearest FSS, which is a good source for center freqs. G430W or 496 are accurate about 50% of the time. I don't download ifr low charts because I have a slow download speed, but do use them during flight planning for getting center freqs.

But I don't think that will get you ARTCC numbers...one of the nice things about Garmin GPSes.

Pull up the closest airport's approach plate. It'll have the Center or TRACON freq and they'll move ya to the right one if you explain you're not sure if you have the right one.

I've generally found nearest ARTCC to be a useless feature. I'm typically never flying that high VFR. I just call the ATC facility listed at the nearest airport with an approach. This is almost always the most appropriate. frequency.

Thanks Nate and Ron, both great ideas.

During flt trng all of this was not made clear and now we discuss it often on here. I sure wish I knew about POA 260 hrs ago.

This post cleared things up for me when I had the same question.

"Siri, what is the nearest center frequency?"

Am I the only person alive who still writes out a nav/freq log??? On a pad of paper I write down the freqs I will encounter, (comm and nav) in the order I will encounter them based on my flight plan. On the flip side are the freqs for alternates in the order I will encounter them if going IFR. It lives on my kneeboard. Sure I have GPS, (530/430 in the panel and a 496 backup) but paper never fails.

eg: ATIS, clearance delivery, ground, tower, departure, ARTCC, ATIS, approach, tower, ground.

It's a bad habit I picked up in the USCG. :dunno:

I do it as well Jack - again bad habits picked up from the brown shoe brigade.

Every airport get A/T/G/CD freqs written down -

the destination gets the Approach freq written down.

I don't always write down the list of the last freq I have but then I have flip flop radio on the 530 and the kX-165 that do the same thing.

I've had other pilots, especially instructors look at me funny and then realize that I"m never hunting for a frequency - plan the flight, fly the plan.

I do it as well Jack - again bad habits picked up from the brown shoe brigade.

Every airport get A/T/G/CD freqs written down -

the destination gets the Approach freq written down.

I don't always write down the list of the last freq I have but then I have flip flop radio on the 530 and the kX-165 that do the same thing.

I've had other pilots, especially instructors look at me funny and then realize that I"m never hunting for a frequency - plan the flight, fly the plan.

You and I must be the pterodactyls of POA.... :yes: :D

Not the only ones. I write the nav and comm freqs down on my nav log for any cross country flight. I was trained that way and I like it. And I've never been in the Coast Guard (or any other service branch).

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back