Finding an AP/IA

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
How do you find an AP/IA? Other than word of mouth, is there an official list somewhere? Through the FAA maybe?

You can download a complete list of all IAs from the FAA data base that covers each state off of the FAA web site. This list will provide name and address only.

However, as a former FAA inspector I would contact the local FSDO and ask a maintenance inspector for a list of A&P/IA in your area. The FAA can not recommend one mechanic over another, but they can point you in the right direction or to a shop that may assist you. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.

The local FBOs is a good source to start with. There are many private A&Ps working for themselves, but you need to have good references when picking one to use. You will need to interview the A&P to see what kind of tools and equipment they have, type of aircraft they work on, and if they have the current and proper maintance manuals.

The above also goes for the IA you select to inspect your aircraft. Your aircraft only gets looked at once a year for the annual inspection. You want an IA that really opens up the aircraft and takes a look and not a quicky inspection for a few hundered dollars. IAs are required to follow a checklist ask for their checklist. I have one for free to download on my web site that meets part 43 appendix D, you might want to take a look at it. This will give you an idea what a mechanic or IA should be look at when they inspect your aircraft.

Just one man's opinion.

Back