Financial Aid?

Botskys

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Botskys
I visited my flight school in over a year and a half since the last time I last took a lesson. I stopped b/c my wife and I were expecting our first child. I am a truck driver but all I think about is flying. I would like to finance the rest of my training they told me it would cost about $13,000 to finish. Does anyone know any company's that offer good rates? I know about pilot finance but they cost too much. Any help or advice would be great.

Hi,

First solo in a powered aircraft was only achieved at 50 years old in my case.

Had to first get the kids educated etc. .... !!

What return are you expecting - instruction ?

Priorities are up to each individual.

Regards
John

Drive as many miles as you can and pinch pennies to save what you need. There is zero reason to go into debt for a hobby.

never finance a hobby. set up a savings plan. Work additional jobs (short term and long term). Find less expensive sources for training.

$13k for private license?? Someone must be making PT Barnum happy. Keep digging. There are much less expensive opportunities (such as clubs) where you can get the budget down to $8000.

Again, avoid financing a hobby. Save until you have a about 2/3's the budget saved, and continue to save while you start the flying.

Concur on the above.

There might be reason to borrow for a career...however, look long and hard at aviation return on investment before you go down that road.

never finance a hobby. set up a savings plan. Work additional jobs (short term and long term). Find less expensive sources for training.

$13k for private license?? Someone must be making PT Barnum happy. Keep digging. There are much less expensive opportunities (such as clubs) where you can get the budget down to $8000.

Again, avoid financing a hobby. Save until you have a about 2/3's the budget saved, and continue to save while you start the flying.

Thanks for the advice, I think that is all I needed to hear. It's not what I wanted to hear but your right, I guess it's more saving.

Is their a sit to find a club?

www.aopa.org google "flying club ____ " where ____ = the major city close to you.

The other financial suggestions are 1) have all other debts zeroed out first to reduce that money distraction and 2) have complete support from your wife to spend all this money on a hoppy to reduce that money distraction. She might have a completely different use (kid) for that money (expensive kid). So having talk (sending kid to expensive east cost college somday) with her might be a smart idea (proud mom and dad at kid's Ivy League graduation).

Last edited:
Gliders might be an alternative for the OP, if he can find a club.

What fraction of a private pilot certificate does a gliding certificate cost? Half? Or even less?

Visit every airport with driveable range, look for bulletin boards at FBOs, pilot lounges, etc. you'll find most clubs and partnership opportunities listed there. A good club would be much less expensive, even with the buy-in. It's a critical part of the future of general aviation.

Thanks for the advice, I think that is all I needed to hear. It's not what I wanted to hear but your right, I guess it's more saving.

I hope you take the good advice you have been offered. Think about it. If you have to borrow to get your license, once you do get your license, your expenses will at best continue; but more likely increase if you plan to actually fly. So after you get your license you will not only be trying to pay for your flying, but you will be paying off your loans, with interest.

Look at Ultralights, fun as heck flying affordable on burger flipping wages, no licensing involved.

I visited my flight school in over a year and a half since the last time I last took a lesson. I stopped b/c my wife and I were expecting our first child. I am a truck driver but all I think about is flying. I would like to finance the rest of my training they told me it would cost about $13,000 to finish. Does anyone know any company's that offer good rates? I know about pilot finance but they cost too much. Any help or advice would be great.

Ditch the cell phone. Ditch cable TV. Ditch internet. Finance it yourself at 0% interest.

"But all the shows I like are on cable!"

"You don't want to fly bad enough."

Ditch the cell phone. Ditch cable TV. Ditch internet. Finance it yourself at 0% interest.

I came here to learn about flying possibilities. Now I'm just depressed. :thumbsup:

Dude has a family, I doubt ditching cable is an option unless he want's to start the AIDS path so soon.

I'm just going to save, save, save. I never thought financing was a bad idea because i didn't think of it as a hobby instead a dream. It is eye opening hearing all of this.

Not sure if you have any Mil background but if so GI Bill will cover 100% under certain scenarios.

Last edited:
I'm just going to save, save, save. I never thought financing was a bad idea because i didn't think of it as a hobby instead a dream. It is eye opening hearing all of this.

During this saving phase, no harm in going to the local airports and making some friends with pilots and airplane owners. This will start getting you plugged into the community, getting a few rides, finding out who are the better instructors and more. Essentially a low cost way to keep your toe in while you fill up the flying piggy jar.

Dude has a family, I doubt ditching cable is an option unless he want's to start the AIDS path so soon.

"But, I have a family!"

:rofl::rofl:

Back