Finally ...

Thanks. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it took me 54 hours to solo. Yeah, yeah, I know: everyone is different and learns at their own pace.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't sweat that. There is a big difference between doing it and not doing it. There is no difference after 100 hours whether you soloed at 10 or at 90.

People like to use hours to solo as a form of organ comparison. That's all it is.

I wouldn't sweat that. There is a big difference between doing it and not doing it. There is no difference after 100 hours whether you soloed at 10 or at 90.

People like to use hours to solo as a form of organ comparison. That's all it is.

:rofl: You're right about the organ comparison! And also that, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter when you solo. Two months ago, I was ready to give up flying. It seemed like that first solo would never happen, and that I was just wasting tons of money by chasing after it. But I'm glad I didn't give up the dream, changed flight schools, and did it! I did my second solo last weekend, which went much better than the first (a lot less shaking of the knees and other body parts!), and now I know there's no turning back. OK, I'll admit it: I have the addiction bad! What can I say, I just love to fly!:yes:

....For my first four lessons (and this was in a Warrior), my instructor would handle ALL the takeoff and landing duties, including the radio. After climbing out, he would then hand over the controls and we'd go maneuver around the practice area for a bit. And I thought this was normal, because I didn't know any better.....

can I just ask, why is this a bad thing? I've had 2 lessons and in both, the CFI handled 100% of the takeoff/landings, and I wouldn't have expected to do any part of that my first and 2nd time in....am I missing something? I did make a few announcements over the CTAF on lesson 2, and I completely botched them all, but u gotta learn somehow I guess!

can I just ask, why is this a bad thing? I've had 2 lessons and in both, the CFI handled 100% of the takeoff/landings, and I wouldn't have expected to do any part of that my first and 2nd time in....am I missing something? I did make a few announcements over the CTAF on lesson 2, and I completely botched them all, but u gotta learn somehow I guess!

I guess I didn't think anything of it either at the time -- I thought it was normal -- until I started reading here about people's experiences, and they seemed so different from mine. Many students seemed to have a hands-on part in at least the takeoffs from their very first lesson. Some even reported having their CFI practice engine-outs with them by the third lesson (I didn't see any of that until about my 30th hour:rolleyes2:). Some claimed to have handled the entire first flight by themselves, but of course I wasn't buying that.:D It wasn't until I switched schools and suddenly my CFI let me do so much more that I realized the first one wasn't the norm. Just be aware as you continue of whether you feel like you're really flying the plane and are learning, or are merely along for the ride. Obviously your CFI can't let you learn by making mistakes to the point of endangering both of you, but I think some are a little too reluctant to relinquish control. Anyway, at least your CFI let you make some radio calls. It's a start!

Back