Finally restarted my flying lessons.

Here's a quick recap of my 3 most recent lessons at Aerodynamic Aviation. The first lesson was stage 2 air work. Did a couple of steep turns. It was bumpy so it was hard to hold altitude, airspeed and bank angle but I wasn't far off. Next were slow flight and stalls with 20 and 30 degrees of flaps. It was a good introduction; except I use flaps most of the time when I land.

The next lesson was at San Martin. I only got three landings there in, plus the landing back at KRHV. I mostly worked on bringing the nose up high enough when I flare. I did a no-flap landing at the home drome. I was a little high on very short final, so I did a forward slip to get on the glide path and made a good landing. I'd been told before that the airplane will be more sensitive in pitch with no flaps, and it was. I was able to adjust my inputs enough to make a good landing but offset from the center line.

The most recent lesson was closed traffic at KRHV. I got 9 landings in. We started with normal landings, and it took me a while to get used to pitching enough on the flare, again. One landing I bounced pretty good (but not dangerously). I had a good pitch attitude, so I just let the plane settle back to the runway and flared. Noah said that that second landing qualified for a landing all by itself. I don't know if my nine landings included the second landing.

After that, I worked on no flap landings, and short approaches. Those are commercial requirements, but Aerodynamic Aviation requires them for solo. Noah didn't say anything about landing on the numbers, but that will come in time.

We were taxiing down Yankee for the last takeoff and landing of the day and there was a plane stopped on Yankee facing us. It seemed like we waited 15 minutes until the pilot got his radio working. ATC had us turn around on Yankee and hold short of 31L on Bravo. Eventually, he cleared us to back taxi on 31L and to take off. That got us ahead of a long line of planes wanting to take off.

I had my choice of short approach or no-flap for the final landing, so I chose no flap. That was what I needed the most work on, mostly because recently I've pretty much mostly been attempting to do short approaches ever since I passed stage 1. Anyway, everything clicked. I flared at the right time, and enough. I kept the plane over the center line and pointed down the runway. As I flared, the stall horn started mewing, as Sergey (another CFI) would say. I felt a few small bumps as the plane touched down. As the nose went down on its own, I couldn't help myself and I said "And that's how it's done!" Noah said it was a very good landing.

That was a great landing to end the lesson, and lessons at Aerodynamic Aviation, at least for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Why not solo here? Then when in CO, it’ll be easier not to restart from scratch.
If life were ideal, I would, but its not. There's a hangar mansion on the market in Erie, CO and I need to get the best price possible for my house. The silly selling season ends around Memorial Day and the prices slump until Labor Day. The Silicon Valley housing market is in a bubble, which will burst, and I want to get out before that happens. I also want to make an offer before it goes under contract. Right now, I'm taking a giant leap of faith.

(My in-laws didn't sell when the housing market hit its peak in Las Vegas years ago, and the house eventually went underwater. I don't think that will happen to me, but it can lose value.)

I won't be starting over. Two local CFIs have told me it will only take a few flights to solo at any other FBO. When I was getting ready for my stage 1 check, my first Aerodynamic Aviation CFI (Sergey) told me I should be getting ready to solo, and the CFI who gave me my stage 1 check asked why I wasn't doing my stage 2 check (so I could solo). He said my landing was good enough, and they're a lot better now. That was in March, and my fourth landing since before Christmas.

When I first flew with Sergey, in 2021, he couldn't believe it had been 12 years since I'd last flown. I dare say I have a good chance of retaining what I've learned.

But your new cfi, in CO, Will need to get to know you. And your current crew say you’re ready to solo.

Maybe some of the CFIs here will chime in, but my guess is you’ll spend less time and money if you start with your cfi in CO, having soloed already, rather than having to demonstrate what you’ve already learned (emergencies, stalk series, etc) again with a new cfi.

Either way, wish you the best.

I agree .. if you are that close to solo where you are just (as Larry would say) "Git-r-done."

Nobody should wonder why it’s taking so long for you. It’s crystal clear.

I agree .. if you are that close to solo where you are just (as Larry would say) "Git-r-done."
At Aerodynamic Dynamic aviation you have to pass a knowledge exam as well as demonstrate the ability to fly the plane well by yourself. I’m way behind on my aviation knowledge and we’re talking a few hundred $ extra for lessons vs. a few hundred thousand $ in home value.

And I need as much out of my house as I can get so I can upsize to the Hangar mansion I’m interested in.

Last edited:
At Aerodynamic Dynamic aviation you have to pass a knowledge exam as well as demonstrate the ability to fly the plane well by yourself. I’m way behind on my aviation knowledge and we’re talking a few hundred $ extra for lessons vs. a few hundred thousand $ in home value.

And I need as much out of my house as I can get so I can upsize to the Hangar mansion I’m interested in.

That’s right out of 14 CFR 61.87.
(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:

(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of—

(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;

(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and

(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.

(2) The student's authorized instructor must—

(i) Administer the test; and

(ii) At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight.

I guess I don't understand the problem as you appear to have been near to solo for a long time and now you're saying you don't yet have the basic knowledge to pass the aeronautical knowledge test needed before solo? Have you taken and passed the written exam?

I know that life sometimes gets in the way and you've had a mountain or two to move but being so close now and deciding to take two steps back and put yourself further in debt with more training seems to me, from my limited view in the cheap bleacher seats, to be not the way I would do it.

Either way I hope to see you amongst the pilot population soon ...

But your new cfi, in CO, Will need to get to know you. And your current crew say you’re ready to solo.

Maybe some of the CFIs here will chime in, but my guess is you’ll spend less time and money if you start with your cfi in CO, having soloed already, rather than having to demonstrate what you’ve already learned (emergencies, stalk series, etc) again with a new cfi.

Either way, wish you the best.

He/she could just relay the CFI to this journal for a get to know you read and flight recap.

I'm a student pilot out of KAPA (Centennial). Not sure if that is too far for you travel for your lessons but I've been very happy with the school I'm working out of. They also have a school up at KBJC (Broomfield).

Do they have a SIM?
What is their position on SIM training?

Do they have a SIM?

They have a couple SIMS, a TD2 and a Redbird FMX. I haven't used either or asked about them so don't know their position on SIM training.

He/she could just relay the CFI to this journal for a get to know you read and flight recap.
True. But who’s to know this isn’t the ultimate troll thread? (It isn’t, but experience trumps theory in aviation).

Do they have a SIM?
Aaron - I know you really like Aspen but consider the logistics between Erie and Centennial. The drive between Erie & KAPA is obscene - depending on the route, anywhere between 40 miles and 50 miles, and the longer route is the fastest. Welcome to Denver, Colorado and the Front Range Area. I'm more than casually familiar with most of the flight schools in the area, and just because Aspen is the largest doesn't always mean it needs to be the first choice. The instructor is more important that the flight school. Because he's got his own airplane, he's not locked into a specific flight school. I've sent Crashnburn details on independent CFIs in his area, CFIs I've know for many years and are highly recommended by many of the aviation organizations in the state. BTW, one of the CFIs I mentioned has access to a Redbird.

Crashnburn - You're better off (both physically and mentally) taking lessons in Erie or closer airports (Longmont LMO, Jeffco BJC) than spending over an hour (sometimes 2) each way (on a good day) just to use a sim. It will be considerably cheaper to use your own airplane. When you get around to it, I suggest you join Colorado Pilots Assoc - a great resource, offers the mountain flying class (you'll need next year after you take your checkride), calendar of everything aviation going on in the state, etc. Cheap, too.

I agree with you about selling the house first. It would be a great ego boost to solo before you leave but let's be practical about this. You have the airplane, you're going to have a hangar when you get here, those are the least of your priorities right now.

They have a couple SIMS, a TD2 and a Redbird FMX. I haven't used either or asked about them so don't know their position on SIM training.
As per FAA rules, you can book up to 10 hrs of SIM training on a certified sim (RedBird, Frasca, etc) WITH A CFI towards the Private. But it's not on your own time, you just can't rent time ($55 at Aspen) and have it count. Of course you can rent it and practice all you want but that doesn't count as hours in the logbook towards the private.

Aaron - I know you really like Aspen but consider the logistics between Erie and Centennial. The drive between Erie & KAPA is obscene - depending on the route, anywhere between 40 miles and 50 miles, and the longer route is the fastest. Welcome to Denver, Colorado and the Front Range Area. I'm more than casually familiar with most of the flight schools in the area, and just because Aspen is the largest doesn't always mean it needs to be the first choice. The instructor is more important that the flight school. Because he's got his own airplane, he's not locked into a specific flight school. I've sent Crashnburn details on independent CFIs in his area, CFIs I've know for many years and are highly recommended by many of the aviation organizations in the state. BTW, one of the CFIs I mentioned has access to a Redbird.

Crashnburn - You're better off (both physically and mentally) taking lessons in Erie or closer airports (Longmont LMO, Jeffco BJC) than spending over an hour (sometimes 2) each way (on a good day) just to use a sim. It will be considerably cheaper to use your own airplane. When you get around to it, I suggest you join Colorado Pilots Assoc - a great resource, offers the mountain flying class (you'll need next year after you take your checkride), calendar of everything aviation going on in the state, etc. Cheap, too.

I agree with you about selling the house first. It would be a great ego boost to solo before you leave but let's be practical about this. You have the airplane, you're going to have a hangar when you get here, those are the least of your priorities right now.
Thank you for the support and advice. The only thing is, I don't have an airplane, yet. There's too much going on now to even think about doing the research necessary before starting to look in earnest. And, it seems the market for the planes I'm interested in is weakening - more planes, lower prices.

I grew up around Wichita, The Air Capitol Of the World. The saying there was, when the economy gets a cold, the aviation industry gets pneumonia!

Moving is a lot like having a baby. It takes longer than you expect, it costs more, and is more work than you expected. The only difference is you spend your money at the hardware store instead of the drugstore.

Silly me. I thought one PackRat container, 6000 lb. useful load, 16 x 8 x 8 would be plenty. After 53 man hours of packing, not including my time, two containers are full and we’re starting on a 15’ U-Haul truck. I plan to make two trips to Colorado. The first, driving the truck and pulling my Firebird on a trailer.

The second, after I fly back, will be in the Lexus with Tuffy.

I got the truck because after the first day of packing, it didn’t look like everything would fit in the containers. I originally tried for a hitch and trailer for the Alexis by the first available hitch was the 29th.

This IS an endurance contest to beat all endurance contests I’ve ever had.

@Crashnburn - I don't know if I should tell you this, but it took my parents six trips (from Minnesota to Texas) with a 26' U-Haul truck plus a 10-passenger van loaded halfway to get their move done...plus another trip with a couple of extra loaded cars added to the fleet. Moving is not for the faint of heart, especially when you are doing all the driving!

Back