Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, all,

Has it been a week already?

I am at the "family homestead" (well one of them anyway) in Berkeley (a.k.a. Berzerkeley) California, where I finally have extended access to an internet connection. This is Destination #3 of the "crazy trip to the Lower 48". My attempts to explain this crazy trip to people at Gaston's (which was Destination #1) didn't really make any sense, even to me, so in a fit of boredom (and because my body still doesn't know what time zone it's in), I made this picture to illustrate (attached below).

It's strange how, when you live in Alaska, everything in the Lower 48 seems to far away that you figure it all must be close to each other. It's the only state of mind where a sentence like "well, since I'm going to be in Kansas anyway, I might as well stop by Arkansas, California, and Pennsylvania while I'm in the area" makes any sense at all. I wonder if the Hawaiians go through this too?

Anyhow, I want to join the chorus of people thanking everyone for a fantastic time. This was airplane nirvana. I got to ride in (and occasionally fly) not just one or two but six different kinds of supercool airplanes (thanks Lance for the ride in, Dave, Bill, Steve, Chip, and Greg for the ride out), and I just was amazed at how everyone opened their hearts and their cockpit doors to me and to so many others. During my ride with Chip I think I said something like that the day had "restored my faith". Not in the religious sense... I suppose you can take it to mean whatever you like, but keep in mind I'd just been upside-down and spinning, so who knows. :goofy:

This Sunday I'm hoping I'll get checked out at an FBO here in the east bay, and take my dad on the famous "Bay Tour" which I've been wanting to do for ages and ages.

To all the fine folks that I met at Gaston's... if you ever find yourself in the 49th state, drop me a line. We can go for a ride in a rental 150! Or, if you're really lucky, maybe even the "worst Cardinal in the world". (Don't worry, the scenery makes up for it.) :)

--Kath

Attachments

• usa_gastonstrip.gif
    usa_gastonstrip.gif
    48.2 KB · Views: 38
kath said:
Hi, all,

This Sunday I'm hoping I'll get checked out at an FBO here in the east bay, and take my dad on the famous "Bay Tour" which I've been wanting to do for ages and ages.

Stop by www.california-airways.com and get the plane from them. Kareem Fahmi from the Red Board is the chief pilot over there in Hayward.

I'm sorry I didn't get more of a chance to talk with you at Gaston's. There were so many neat people to meet that I didn't get a chance to spend as much time with most as I would have liked!

kath said:
It's strange how, when you live in Alaska, everything in the Lower 48 seems to far away that you figure it all must be close to each other. It's the only state of mind where a sentence like "well, since I'm going to be in Kansas anyway, I might as well stop by Arkansas, California, and Pennsylvania while I'm in the area" makes any sense at all. I wonder if the Hawaiians go through this too?

:rofl: :rofl:
I get the same thing when I go on roadtrips and visit people. "What do you mean it's too far? The coast is only what? 250 maybe 300 miles from here. Let's go."

The things we do in life just for fun that make no sense are the best. Good for you Kath! :)

Last edited:
Anthony said:
The things we do in life just for fun that make no sense

You mean like.........hmmm........own a Grumman? :goofy: :rofl:

N2212R said:
You mean like.........hmmm........own a Grumman? :goofy: :rofl:

Ha!!!! Yes, absolutely or any airplane for that matter, but especially a Grumman.

I just don't understand how someone can be so insensitive as to own a plane named after a Native American. I find it offensive! I'm calling Jay Silverheels!

:D

kath said:

--Kath

Let us know how the bay tour goes Kath!

One of the most rewarding things I did while my Dad was still around was take him flying. He really enjoyed it and I can still see him smiling in my mind after the last flight!

Hope your flight goes well.

Best,

Dave

I'll say it again Kath...you were a blast to get to meet. If your journey somehow takes you to Albuquerque, hit me up. We'll find something fun to do.

kath said:

To all the fine folks that I met at Gaston's... if you ever find yourself in the 49th state, drop me a line. We can go for a ride in a rental 150! Or, if you're really lucky, maybe even the "worst Cardinal in the world". (Don't worry, the scenery makes up for it.) :)

I flew the Bay Tour with Ahart at Livermore. At the time, several years ago, they nervously let me fly (dual!) a brand new Warrior.

http://airnav.com/airport/KLVK/AHART
http://www.ahart.com

THIS Warrior! It must have been in 1999 or 2000.
http://www.ahart.com/newWeb/aircraft/singleEngine/4126n.htm

Last edited:
kath said:
I am at the "family homestead" (well one of them anyway) in Berkeley (a.k.a. Berzerkeley) California
I learned to fly at the UC Bezerkeley flying club. After I got my private I took a number of relatives and friends on Bay Area tours which they always enjoyed (and so did I). It amazes me now that some of them would get in an airplane with a 20-year-old new pilot. :eek:

Back