Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
Today the Nebraska legislature voted in favor of allowing their
citizens to defend themselves. Concealed Carry permits were approved after
a couple decades of trying. Finally we have our 2nd Amendment rights
validated here. Wooo hoooo.

We were one of a very few states not allowing it.

RT

Congratulations. I see the Kansas legislature overrode the gov's veto of their concealed carry legislation. I am really surprised at how many mid west states still do not have concealed carry laws.

NC Pilot said:
I see the Kansas legislature overrode the gov's veto of their concealed carry legislation. I am really surprised at how many mid west states still do not have concealed carry laws.

Yeah that surprised me too. A lot of them do not have reciprocity with CO nor are "shall issue". What demography is causing that?

W00t! for Nebraska!

RogerT said:

RT
That's one of the reasons I moved to PA! In New Jersey it was (and still is) damn near impossible to get a carry permit... You have to get a permit just to BUY a handgun, and then you can't carry it...

RotaryWingBob said:
That's one of the reasons I moved to PA! In New Jersey it was (and still is) damn near impossible to get a carry permit... You have to get a permit just to BUY a handgun, and then you can't carry it...

Well we have to have a permit to buy one. I let mine expire since I
wasn't planning on buying any more right away. Funny thing is you
can carry a gun in the open if you want .. just not concealed until
now.

We'll have to see how it all shakes out. The State Patrol will
administer the training, background checks, etc. So theoretically
they could sand bag the thing I suppose until there is enough
uproar. I don't know how likely that is. My guess is it'll take a long
time to get one given the number that are likely to apply.

RT

RogerT said:

RT
Congrats and a hand salute to my neighbor to the east!

Do you have to be a resident of a particular state to get a permit for that state?

I don't know for certain, but I would be surprised if a state can or would issue a CCW for a non-resident. However, there's info on reciprocity between states on the web - I googled concealed weapon permit interstate reciprocity and found a number of hits... varies from state to state considerably, it seems.

edit(1): verification at least from Colorado statute regarding CCW

exerpted from http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/Statutes/18-12-203.asp

1) Beginning May 17, 2003, except as otherwise provided in this section, a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant who:

(a) Is a legal resident of the state of Colorado. For purposes of this part 2, a person who is a member of the armed forces and is stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation in this state, and a member of the person's immediate family living in Colorado, shall be deemed to be a legal resident of the state of Colorado.

edit(2): Chris, I just saw you're in California... here's some CCW info
http://www.packing.org/state/california/

Last edited:
RogerT said:
Funny thing is you
can carry a gun in the open if you want .. just not concealed until
now.
RT

Legally true in some states but be careful with that one. Sometimes they'll book you for, I forget the legal term, -it's not really disturbing the peace but something close to that. It depends mostly on the citizens around you that see the gun, what they may say to 911, and what the individual police interpret is going on when they get to you.

RogerT said:

RT

Congrats Roger,

Aother state holding up the 2nd Amendment. (with hoops attached however.)

Regards,
Joe

My sincere congratulations to Nebraska.

Sadly, I still live in the People's Republic of Maryland, which is run by legislators who believe that only the elite (mostly them) have the right to protect themselves, and that the common masses shouldn't be allowed to carry protection because we can't be trusted with it.

Funny how we have kids getting shot by stray bullets on the streets when all these law abiding citizens wouldn't dream of breaking the law and owning guns and carrying them hidden on their persons.

AirBaker said:
Do you have to be a resident of a particular state to get a permit for that state?
It depends on the state. Michigan will not issue a permit to a non resident but I think Florida will.

Reciprocity is another thing all together involving one state honoring the carry permits from another state and visa versa. Reciprocity is set up with other states by the states Attorneys General. When Michigan first passed the "shall issue" law Jennifer Granholm was our Attorney General and she was against the "shall issue" law. It's my understanding that she would not write the letters necessary for reciprocity with other states. After some years of experience with our law being in place and seeing that it did not lead to any problems she has changed her stance on the issue. When she was elected Governor, the new Attorney General started writing letters and now we have reciprocity with many other states.

Jeannie ~ Sometimes carries a Glock model 26

Back