Finally - Checkride is scheduled!

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Hope to post good news on Saturday evening. After over 100 hours of flight training got the sign off to go with the DPE. :) Not 100% confident but I think it's more nerves then anything else. Sure is alot to know. Unfortunately the DPE was available on Saturday. My friends are having a 4th of July party on Friday that I've been looking forward to for weeks! Guess I'll just be having soft drinks. :(

Only positive feedback please!

Your CFI signed you off because you're ready.

Go get 'em.

Then throw back some drinks on Saturday evening.

Sara, if you haven't already read it take some time and read "Capt. Levy's checkride advice" posted at the top of this forum.... and then go have fun.

As Capt. Levy's write up says, just relax and enjoy the experience.

Do be mindful of your answer phrasing and when your brain wants to go into "knowledge show off mode". I made that mistake a few times and my DPE rightly let me stuff myself into a bad corner.

Have a family member act as Quizmaster and ask questions out of the PTS, especially on key (and challenging items) like airspaces.

Know how to interpret and answer, "If we took off from here in good weather and flew to here (points to chart) and ceilings were X and the vis Y, can we enter that space?"

And other key items from the PTS.

Get a good nights rest. Take your time, and have fun.

Good luck Sara. Watch the wx, and don't be afraid to scrub if you don't like what you see, or if it is in any way questionable. Better to scrub questionable than to try and fly bad.

Like the others said, relax. If you can get your husband to quiz you like that other fellow said, do so. It is a good last minute learning exercise. I once posted that my checkride for the private felt more like a lesson. I had several other pilots reflect on having a similar experience.

You've got a bunch of people pulling for you, he who is Steingar among them.

Positive feedback I like it. Not sure my CFI is confident. He's willing to let me try it. I re read Capt Levy's write up, thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to the experience. Kind of hoping for crappy wx so that I don't have to do the Oral/flight in one day.

If you think that you might be too tired or whatever to complete the oral and flight portion in one day you can get a discontinuance but most DPEs like to try to get it all done at once. And, frankly, once you get going you'll probably be very glad that you hang in there with it and try to finish it up.
However, no kidding, if you do feel fatigued or unwell then it's better to be honest about that than to fly when you aren't functioning on all cylinders. Make sure you are plenty hydrated - start drinking water more than usual for a couple days before your ride - and eat well that morning. Take some small snacks w/ you to eat after the oral and before the flight part, like a banana and maybe a couple crackers and cheese type things. I have found that when my blood sugar is waning I have trouble and that it sneaks up on me...
Just some thoughts

2010-07-06-cw2L0049.jpg

Ripped off from:

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/?tag=checkride

Last edited:
Back