Filing IFR

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
When filing a VFR flight plan, I know that if you don't open the flight plan, it just gets discarded from the computer after a certain amount of time. Does the same thing happen when filing an IFR plan? Do they hold the airspace for you at your estimated time of departure, or does all that happen only when you call for your clearance?

IOW, is it OK to file IFR if you think you might be flying there, or should you only file an IFR plan that you know you're sure to open?

Matt

mattaxelrod said:
When filing a VFR flight plan, I know that if you don't open the flight plan, it just gets discarded from the computer after a certain amount of time. Does the same thing happen when filing an IFR plan?
Yes.

mattaxelrod said:
Do they hold the airspace for you at your estimated time of departure, or does all that happen only when you call for your clearance?
They don't hold the airspace until you get your clearance.

mattaxelrod said:
IOW, is it OK to file IFR if you think you might be flying there, or should you only file an IFR plan that you know you're sure to open?

Matt
You really only should file when you intend to fly, but they'll just cancel it if you don't call.

It is better to cancel the IFR when you know it won't be used. If there are a lot of IFR flight plans on file, approach/departure will be trying to anticipate how to get all the traffic to flow. IIRC, there is a priority if several planes call for clearance around the same time. It just helps everyone, if it's busy, if you lighten up the load. If it's not busy or you're in a remote area, probably no big deal. Several of the local controller here say it is helpful for you to cancel if you know you're not going to depart.

Best,

Dave

Sometimes we are told the destination is either X, Y or Z so I file all three until they board and we get the word. There is a moment of confusion if you don't tell CD that you filed several and which you want. But it does not tie up airspace.

>

>

mattaxelrod said:
Thanks for the info everyone!
Matt
If you file it and then don't open it, a towered airport will usually query if you wanted to open the strip in their lap...

Let'sgoflying! said:
But it does not tie up airspace.
>

I've heard it does tie up arrival slots when metering in in effect. Claim is that fractionals and other biz jets tie up many of the Aspen arrivals in bad weather by filing multiple requests.

ejensen said:
I've heard it does tie up arrival slots when metering in in effect. Claim is that fractionals and other biz jets tie up many of the Aspen arrivals in bad weather by filing multiple requests.

We avoid busy places like that, but I see how it could.

ejensen said:

It isn't the IFR flight plan on file that ties up the arrival slot it is the arrival slot reservation. Two separate systems.

Dave Siciliano said:
It is better to cancel the IFR when you know it won't be used. If there are a lot of IFR flight plans on file, approach/departure will be trying to anticipate how to get all the traffic to flow. IIRC, there is a priority if several planes call for clearance around the same time. It just helps everyone, if it's busy, if you lighten up the load. If it's not busy or you're in a remote area, probably no big deal. Several of the local controller here say it is helpful for you to cancel if you know you're not going to depart.

I suspect the reason is more that you reduce the clutter on the controller's desk rather than you clear arrival/departure capacity. AFAIK, a flight doesn't enter the priority cue until clearance is requested versus flight plan is filed.

mattaxelrod said:
When filing a VFR flight plan, I know that if you don't open the flight plan, it just gets discarded from the computer after a certain amount of time. Does the same thing happen when filing an IFR plan? Do they hold the airspace for you at your estimated time of departure, or does all that happen only when you call for your clearance?

In general, an IFR flight plan "strip" appears at the originating controller's station 1 hour prior to ETD and drops out of the system 2 hours post ETD. Those times may vary depending on the location. For example, busy places like SFO may drop the IFR flight plan a bit earlier or perhaps the IFR flight plan may appear a bit later, but that's the general pattern. When planning multiple IFR flights in a series where the intermediate leg departure times are weather and/or passenger dependent I often will use the -1/+2 hour window to my advantage by filing an ETD ~1 hour beyond the earliest time I believe I could possibly depart. This gives me the broadest window for the IFR flight plan to be available.

Your flight plan "strip" will appear at the controller's station 30 minutes before your ETD although they can retrieve it earlier. That's when they'll say "clearance on request" while they go look for it. The time when it will drop out of the system depends on the Center, I think. For example, flight plans last for 2 hours at Denver Center but in Los Angeles only for 1 1/2 hours (found this out the hard way). I wouldn't worry about picking up your clearance any time within these time frames. You're not tying up the airspace until you are released.

For the ATC hounds...

When does the transponder code get assigned -- when the controller asks for it or when the strip pops up 30 prior to ETD?

Reason I ask is that on really nice VFR weekend days, ATC sometimes runs out of transponder codes due to the increased demand for codes due to VFR ADIZ ops, and everybody has to wait until a code is freed up. If the code is assigned when the strip pops up on a flight the pilot will not make, or will make VFR rather than IFR, that would mean codes are being "hogged" by those who will not use them.

Ron Levy said:
When does the transponder code get assigned -- when the controller asks for it or when the strip pops up 30 prior to ETD?
I don't claim to know much about the inner workings of ATC, but I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the individual facility. Some towers, Santa Fe comes to mind, don't give you a transponder code until you are taxiing out even if you have picked up your clearance in advance. Also, sometimes ATC will change your transponder code either before departure or somewhere enroute. I always figured that was because someone else in your area was assigned the same code but I could be way off.

I can't remember ever having to wait for a transponder code to be freed up before departure. But I don't fly in the ADIZ very much and when I do it's always IFR.

It would be interesting to get an answer from ATC, though.

Everskyward said:
Your flight plan "strip" will appear at the controller's station 30 minutes before your ETD although they can retrieve it earlier. That's when they'll say "clearance on request" while they go look for it.

Is the quoted statement accurate? I don't think the controller is looking for your printed flight plan strip.

I always was taught that the local controller telling me that my "clearance [is] on request" meant he's called (or is calling) ATC (departure control, center, whatever controlling agency there is for his airspace) and has asked them to relay the actual clearance to him so he can give it to you... and he's waiting for the reply.

Have I misunderstood that?

Troy Whistman said:
Is the quoted statement accurate? I don't think the controller is looking for your printed flight plan strip.
I didn't mean looking for it in the physical sense. I meant looking on the computer, calling Center, or however they look for it.

Back