Filed plan question

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
How long after the filed departure time does a flight plan remain in the system?

I routinely file, get FF then don't activate.

IFR flight plans remain in the system for two hours after the proposed departure time. IIRC, it's the same for VFR, but I don't know that for sure.

How long after the filed departure time does a flight plan remain in the system?

I routinely file, get FF then don't activate.

A assume you mean you file IFR but get just flight following instead of going IFR and want to know how long your original filed IFR flight plan is available. The standard is two hours, but it's sent to just the departure point.

A assume you mean you file IFR but get just flight following instead of going IFR and want to know how long your original filed IFR flight plan is available. The standard is two hours, but it's sent to just the departure point.

So, say 3 hand offs/ 1hr down the way on my flight I finally run into that forecast IMC, will that controller be able to access it to open or would one have refile in the air?

So, say 3 hand offs/ 1hr down the way on my flight I finally run into that forecast IMC, will that controller be able to access it to open or would one have refile in the air?

If you haven't crossed an ARTCC boundary, and you're now communicating with the center, the controller should be able to access and modify the original flight plan. If you've crossed an ARTCC boundary but your departure point was near the boundary the controller can probably view your filed flight plan but wont be able to amend it or activate it. If you're with a terminal facility and your flight originated outside that facility's delegated airspace, even if it's hosted by the same ARTCC as your departure point, the controller can likely do nothing more than look at your proposed flight plan.

If you had told ATC at departure that you had filed IFR but decided to go VFR instead, the controller could have amended the requested altitude on your flight plan to "VFR" and used it to relay your flight data. All facilities/sectors along your route would then have it and if at any time you decided to go IFR the controller would just have to issue the clearance and amend the "VFR" altitude in the computer to an appropriate IFR altitude.

If you haven't crossed an ARTCC boundary, and you're now communicating with the center, the controller should be able to access and modify the original flight plan. If you've crossed an ARTCC boundary but your departure point was near the boundary the controller can probably view your filed flight plan but wont be able to amend it or activate it. If you're with a terminal facility and your flight originated outside that facility's delegated airspace, even if it's hosted by the same ARTCC as your departure point, the controller can likely do nothing more than look at your proposed flight plan.

If you had told ATC at departure that you had filed IFR but decided to go VFR instead, the controller could have amended the requested altitude on your flight plan to "VFR" and used it to relay your flight data. All facilities/sectors along your route would then have it and if at any time you decided to go IFR the controller would just have to issue the clearance and amend the "VFR" altitude in the computer to an appropriate IFR altitude.

So...If I'm departing VFR and want to maintain the easy option call CD on departure, tell them I filed but will depart VFR they'll tag the flight plan to me to open later... Good, thanks, seems the simple way since I'm typically on FF anyway.

So...If I'm departing VFR and want to maintain the easy option call CD on departure, tell them I filed but will depart VFR they'll tag the flight plan to me to open later...

They can do that, they might just remove the flight plan instead. Best to be specific, ask them to amend the altitude to "VFR".

Be careful in Canada. If you file a flight plan you must call to cancel the flight plan even if you never took off. They launch SAR if you file and then change your mind and never go and forget to call to cancel.

Along those same lines be careful in Canada also when flying a STAR. They recently changed to rules to make the crossing altitudes mandatory without specific ATC clearance. The rule change to to better align with ICAO.

So, if the next fix says to cross at 5,000 and ATC says, "descend to 8,000" they expect you to descend to 8,000 now AND cross the fix at 5,000 without another word.

Interesting thing happened today. I departed 1.5hrs after my filed time. By the time I called Potomac approach they didn't have my plan to enter the SFRA and I had to call FSS in the air (first for me :))

Maybe it means little as there was another pilot in same situation on the freq and I heard him being given the same speech.

I had a weird one last week. I filed and afterwards noticed my alternat wasnt legal. No problem, I just changed the alternate and also changed the departure time to five minutes after the hour to keep them straight. The original was for the top of the hour.

When I got out to the plane the FO had already picked up the clearance so he didn't know about the change. No problem, I key the mike and call clearance delivery and ask for the flight plan for five after. Clearance informs me he saw it come up and deleted it.

Why the heck would you do that, I think to myself. We just departed on the old one with the bad alt. The only way it could be an issue is lost comms. I had a legal alt and fuel to get there, good enough in my book. It was just odd the guy deleted my flight plan simply because a new one popped up.

Interesting thing happened today. I departed 1.5hrs after my filed time. By the time I called Potomac approach they didn't have my plan to enter the SFRA and I had to call FSS in the air (first for me :))

Maybe it means little as there was another pilot in same situation on the freq and I heard him being given the same speech.

I've had flight plans "lost" between FSS and Potomac on numerous occasions. In all my flying, I've had more "lost" flight plans in and around DC than I have had in other areas (DFW area is second for lost IFR plans). Within the last 2 years, I've had 3 or 4 SFRA plans lost either departing HEF or returning. On one occasion, Potomac entered it instead of having me air-file.

Today, Potomac assigned a squawk inbound to the SFRA and advised me to proceed on-course before I even entered the squawk. Before entering the SFRA, I called to get his acknowledgement that my squawk was received - in a very annoyed voice he indicated that it was and he had told me to proceed on-course. The consequences are greater for me than him.... Perhaps he was following me on Mode S before assigning squawk (which would have been OK, but an acknowledgement is usually given). And then there was the ground controller at HEF that assigned me a taxi to 16L, hold short of 16R, then was expecting me to call tower when ready for TO on 16R. Definitely the "B" team today.

With the mid-air under FLUKY today, you gotta really stay on your toes around the west side of DC. This SFRA is going to get someone killed.

I haven't checked, but I was thinking for VFR the Plan only stays in the system an hour. But, I don't understand why you would routinely file then not activate. Why mess with it??

I've had flight plans "lost" between FSS and Potomac on numerous occasions. In all my flying, I've had more "lost" flight plans in and around DC than I have had in other areas (DFW area is second for lost IFR plans). Within the last 2 years, I've had 3 or 4 SFRA plans lost either departing HEF or returning. On one occasion, Potomac entered it instead of having me air-file.

Today, Potomac assigned a squawk inbound to the SFRA and advised me to proceed on-course before I even entered the squawk. Before entering the SFRA, I called to get his acknowledgement that my squawk was received - in a very annoyed voice he indicated that it was and he had told me to proceed on-course. The consequences are greater for me than him.... Perhaps he was following me on Mode S before assigning squawk (which would have been OK, but an acknowledgement is usually given). And then there was the ground controller at HEF that assigned me a taxi to 16L, hold short of 16R, then was expecting me to call tower when ready for TO on 16R. Definitely the "B" team today.

With the mid-air under FLUKY today, you gotta really stay on your toes around the west side of DC. This SFRA is going to get someone killed.

I was on FF a few days back over the Eastern Shore and Washington Center lost some poor guy's IFR plan plan coming out of Ocean City. Nobody had any idea what was going on, but Center handed him over to another sector, I guess, of Washington Center, saying, "They'll get you all sorted out." Whatever that meant, I'm not sure.

Back