File this under stupid pilot tricks

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
So it's a gorgeous day here in the SF bay area - one of those that make people pay stupid money to live here.

I decide it's a perfect day for me to "fly and bike" to the office instead of driving. It's not any less time - comparable - but I get some exercise, I get to fly, I get to ride my bike for a few miles along the river. I mean, as a lifestyle option, it ain't half bad.

Weather? check.
TFRs? none.
Anything else? seriously, it's a 20m flight between two airports and along a route I know like the back of my hand.

So I get to the airport, load my folding bike and all the other gear in the plane, put on my new Aero Glass (which are pretty cool btw), taxi and take off, enjoying myself tremendously.

10nm out of Petaluma I get on common and let everyone know my position and that I am headed for a straight-in runway 29.

A guy comes on the radio.

"traffic just announcing inbound to Petaluma. The airport is closed until the 10th".

The stupid grin on my fact from this perfect, perfect day thus far is wiped instantly.

"did you say Petaluma airport is closed?"

"yes."

I guess I should have checked that, huh? :redface:

Turned back, put the plane back in the hangar, drove to the office, two hours late.

Did I mention it's audit week? and I'm leading the audit on our end?

A common mistake,I learned the hard way,almost took a friend to upstate NY for a lacrosse game .Last minute checked the notam,airport was being re paved.

Since you have the AeroGlass, please start a thread with a PIREP on it.

aeroglass didn't tell you the airport you are pointing at was closed?

"did you say Petaluma airport is closed?"

"yes."

I guess I should have checked that, huh? :redface:

Turned back, put the plane back in the hangar, drove to the office, two hours late.

Did I mention it's audit week? and I'm leading the audit on our end?
Ah Damn!

I landed at El Dorado Springs, MO due to wx diversion last week. Upon landing, the airport manager meets me at the plane, saying "don't you check notams? Airport is closed." Cue me feeling like an idiot. No x's on the runway, nothing. Wasn't planning on landing here, so I didn't check notams before I left...but I still felt stupid.

aeroglass didn't tell you the airport you are pointing at was closed?

EVERYTHING was trying to tell me that, I just didn't bother to listen. I refer you to the word "stupid" in the thread title :lol:

Been there done that!!
1.5 hour flight to an airport, I entered the downwind and notice the bulldozers had dug up all the runway. Turned around and headed back home.

Nah, that's not a stupid pilot trick. A stupid pilot trick would be landing at Petaluma NORDO, not noticing the X's, and barely missing a construction crew.

You still got some nice airborne time, more than I've had these past few weeks. It IS nice out.

You had the bike right? You coulda landed at Sonoma County or Sonoma Skypark and rode in to Petaluma. Would have been great exercise.

Nah, that's not a stupid pilot trick. A stupid pilot trick would be landing at Petaluma NORDO, not noticing the X's, and barely missing a construction crew.

You still got some nice airborne time, more than I've had these past few weeks. It IS nice out.

I fervently hope to never pull THAT kind of stupid trick :lol:

And yes, I can't really complain - 0.6 on the Hobbs in such a gorgeous weather over the SF bay is never something to complain about. The addition of the new technology (Aero Glass) made the flight more interesting, too.

Just felt kinda dumb :rofl:

You had the bike right? You coulda landed at Sonoma County or Sonoma Skypark and rode in to Petaluma. Would have been great exercise.

Ah, yes. I'd have made it in by... tomorrow.

Maybe. :goofy:

*cough* 132.325 *cough* :)

Try Gnoss. Right across 101 the road now goes all the way to Olompali and then a new bike path to the landfill to where San Antonio drops off. Sure its a little longer but you get better exercise!

Enphase?

*cough* 132.325 *cough* :)

Try Gnoss. Right across 101 the road now goes all the way to Olompali and then a new bike path to the landfill to where San Antonio drops off. Sure its a little longer but you get better exercise!

Enphase?

Interesting... I may want to try that some day. Sounds like fun.

MarketLive.

We had a brand-new pilot (like, three weeks since his ride) fly in with his gal a few days ago. He didn't figure out our airport was closed until he was on short final, and saw the "X"s!

Went back, landed at TP McCampbell, and TOOK A CAB out to the island! If he had only called, our courtesy car was parked at the airport. We would have told him all this, but he booked on Expedia.

We gave him a ride to pick up the car the next day, so at least he didn't have another $65 cab ride!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back