File Recovery Help

K

KennyFlys

I have a drive I pulled from one of my desktops. Apparently, the OS managed to corrupt itself while sitting idle for two weeks. Now, it won't load and I've not gotten a backup of it in some time.

I've seen several issues of recovery software on the web but no way to tell which one is more reliable over another. Does anyone have experience in any particular software package/download?

Price isn't bad for individual use as all I've seen are well under a $100. I'm more concerned with it causing damage while trying to access those data files as well as retrieving usable files. I don't care about saving the system on it. I only want the tons of pics and other aviation resources I've saved over the last couple years. I'll dump it afterward and get a new drive for the system.

Drives are so cheap now, I'd like to consider installing a dual drive RAID. It's an old 2Gb eMachine so it would need a PCI card for such if this is possible. I may be just stuck with doing an automated dump to an external drive as is done on my laptop.

Ideirs? :dunno:

A few years ago ( 5 or 6 years back), something similar happened to me. I bought a new drive, loaded the OS and made it bootable (changed a jumper). I treated the old drive as a second hard drive and found I could just copy most of the data to the new one. It made me more careful about backing stuff up.

I don't know if this would work for oyu.

A few years ago ( 5 or 6 years back), something similar happened to me. I bought a new drive, loaded the OS and made it bootable (changed a jumper). I treated the old drive as a second hard drive and found I could just copy most of the data to the new one. It made me more careful about backing stuff up.

I don't know if this would work for you.
From what I can tell thus far, some kind of directory file is corrupt. I get some kind of page error when I attempt to read it just as stand alone drive.

Ontrack

Easy Recovery Professional

Back