File encryption suggestions

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
I've got about a dozen encrypted files on my home computer using whatever encryption WinXP uses. I'm currently running Win7 (x64)and realized I had to boot into XP (still have old HD w/ XP as slave) to access the files.

I'm probably going to decrypt them for now, but what suggestions do you guys have for encrypting a few files (no volume encryption)? I don't need to prevent the CIA or FBI from breaking anything as I'm sure they've already got access to a copy of this data. I just something strong enough to slow down your random thief for several years should my desktop get stolen.

Also, I only access these files about once a year, so integration with the shell is not a requirement nor does it need to be extremely fast as the files are not huge either.

Thanks in advance

PGP?

If I really want to stop people dead in their tracks, I use an old DOS data encryption program I have from the 80's that everyone has long forgotten - assuming they knew it existed in the first place. They're not getting into anything if they don't have the program, have no clue what it is to start with and then, assuming they manage to figure that out which is not likely, they still have to come up with the password.
(I don't do this but if I really wanted to get mean, I could put it on an old 486 laptop I have and use a sector editor to change a few characters in the encrypted file that will stop the DOS program from recognizing it's own work)

I have one file that if lost or accessed will cause me lots of grief - it's 8 pages of serial numbers of equipment, credit card info, username/passwords to every place I visit on the web - including my bank and so on. I do NOT keep any of this on a computer - it's on 2 flash drives (one in the bank box and the second in the fire resistant box in the house). When I need to get to one of the accounts that I don't remember the info, I go get the flash drive. This way I don't have any fear of traveling with the laptop.

I agree with Frank that PGP is the way to go. I also have my PGP keys on that flash drive also.

Yes, I'm paranoid. There was a time....being paranoid was on my job description.

The other choice is an IronKey USB flash drive...

I used a tool called abicoder. It was a fellows high school science project. It will do ADES and Blowfish encryption so it will flag the entropy sifters at your ISP nicely and be decrypted hours after you send anything with it -- however it will thwart the nerd who cops your PC.

It will make a self-decrypting executable which I use to pack up the "in case I die" web page with our finance stuff on it for my wife.

Don't use WINZIP passwords as has been suggested. They take minutes to crack.

Todd

WINZIP 11+ with AES encryption is quite strong, assuming you use a good password. My government client uses it regularly when they need to send sensitive but unclassified stuff via e-mail.

Their legacy encryption is, as mentioned, not strong.

WINZIP 11+ with AES encryption is quite strong.

I stand corrected. The modern winzip from 9 on uses the Rijndael encryption which is generally held to be secure. The zip file does contain the name of the file and other metadata in un-encrypted format.

Older versions of zip were only intended to thwart the casual thief.

Back