FIFTY INCHES!!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
The NWS says that since 1 Dec the Chicago area has gotten 50 inches of snow!! This is the first winter I cannot recall having a thaw and seeing the brown grass. We have had snow on the ground since about mid-December and there is more on the way!!!

WHY THE HECK DID I EVER MOVE HERE?? Oh yeah a job and money.

BUT WHY AM I STAYING??????????

Oh yeah a job and money.

Only 18 more years to retirement!!!

The NWS says that since 1 Dec the Chicago area has gotten 50 inches of snow!! This is the first winter I cannot recall having a thaw and seeing the brown grass. We have had snow on the ground since about mid-December and there is more on the way!!!
We've had a couple of thaws down here in Romeoville, but at work in Palateine I concur.

whereisyour128486839870781250.jpg

Oh yeah a job and money.

These folks know how you feel

Attachments

• Stevens Pass 17.jpg
    Stevens Pass 17.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Stevens Pass 19.jpg
    Stevens Pass 19.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Stevens Pass 18.jpg
    Stevens Pass 18.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 25

Oh yeah a job and money.

Don't forget the great winter flying weather! Which is why I had to meet you at our DRIVE-IN at KJVL!

Oh yeah a job and money.

Blow that, I'd change jobs, hell, I'd change careers if I had to....

29osqid.jpg

Chicago in for its 35th measurable snow of season

Tom Skilling
February 28, 2008

The 35th measurable snow of the 2007-08 season sweeps into the Chicago area Thursday evening--well beyond the 30 measurable snows that have occurred in the average complete season here since 1928. An "Alberta Clipper" is behind prediction of more snow. Its center is to race west to east across the upper Midwest Thursday night, crossing Lake Superior on the way. Most "clippers" on that track reserve snow for areas mainly north of Chicago--and this system's heaviest snowfall will fall in Wisconsin and Michigan, where 4-7 inch totals are possible. But, the depth of the cold air mass in place will help generate snow well south of the storm track by encouraging gusty southerly winds that hit overnight to rush into the system, gliding up and over the cold air, producing 1-3 inches of snow across the Chicago area.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/chi-mxaweathertopmap022808feb28,0,6112312.story

I still haven't gotten the last 6-8 inch assault off of the driveway.

It's gonna be March in a few days, right?

Blow that, I'd change jobs, hell, I'd change careers if I had to....

Henning, I don't want to seem as if I am kissin'-up, but this is further proof of your innate brilliance.

Hmm...thought this was another thread about me...

:D

Actually, I don't envy y'all too much, but I do miss shoveling snow in New Hampshire (as dumb as that sounds). I always had a good time hanging with neighbors while doing it.

What's better than finally finishing your driveway, sitting back for a second, and then seeing the snowplow coming right afterwards, plowing a mound back into your driveway? lol

Oh yeah a job and money.

Didn't you get the memo? Your company pushed retirement back. It's going to be 65 with a change to 70 in the next fifteeen years.

After seeing Mike's Pics and beign reminded of growing up in Chicago, particularly the winter storm of 80-81, I hereby promise not to whine about winter in Peoria, 110 nm south. At least for another week.

Bah, that's nothing. We broke our old record of 76 or so inches about three weeks ago. I think it's snowed significantly at least three more times since then, and there's more on the way overnight.

But, I'm in Texas right now so I don't care. :D :D :D

Of course, ours is nothing too... I went out to WA a few weeks ago, and the snow in Lookout Pass at the MT/ID border was higher than I sit in the truck! When I got to the border there was a friendly sign that said "Welcome to <snow>". :rofl:

After seeing Mike's Pics and beign reminded of growing up in Chicago, particularly the winter storm of 80-81, I hereby promise not to whine about winter in Peoria, 110 nm south. At least for another week.

I was gonna say that Madison had it worse.

More snow due Tuesday. Enuf, enuf, puleezze!

It's wintertime. It's supposed to snow.

There's only been 56" here since mid November. Ho hum. BBOORRIINNGG. It's been like Florida here all winter. :(

Last year total: THIRTEEN FEET that stayed on the ground for months along with many days of sub zero temperatures. I was in 4WD for 2 months straight. I actually forgot what ground looked like after a while. That was great fun!!!! :goofy:

Attachments

• SWind-DEC06.jpg
    SWind-DEC06.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Jeep-DEC06.jpg
    Jeep-DEC06.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14

There's only been 56" here since mid November. Ho hum. BBOORRIINNGG. It's been like Florida here all winter. :(

Last year total: THIRTEEN FEET that stayed on the ground for months along with many days of sub zero temperatures. I was in 4WD for 2 months straight. I actually forgot what ground looked like after a while. That was great fun!!!! :goofy:

OK, Frank, where have you parked your house? Why wouldn't you set the GPS on 180 and drive until you see seawater?

Last edited:
It has gotten so bad here that if I didn't have a high-wing plane I wouldn't have made it out to the runway a few times.

Last count I heard was 96 inches on the year for us. We got 8 inches over night a couple nights ago with another 10-14 inches expected tonight into tomorrow. The mounds in the front lawn are taller than me. It was -11F on my drive to work this morning...the tug wouldn't start; we had to use a pickup to drag the airplane around to the front of the building. Is spring still around the corner? I think it's around the block now.

Were up to 399" so far. It looks like it is going to be a 400"+ winter here. Everyones parking lot has run out of snow. People are having to have snow hauled away. Everyone with vacant lots has huge piles of snow that they are charging people to store. Should be a BIG runoff this year.

OK, Frank, where have you parked your house?

In Colorado where it's fun to winterover. I mean how are you supposed to know it's winter if there's no snow on the ground?

Why wouldn't you set the GPS on 180 and drive until you see seawater?

Why head south just because it's winter? :confused: Running south because it gets a little cold is just plain old silly. (FWIW: There's a subgroup of us that see it as a kind of badge of honor to winterover in the north where it's snowy and cold. It's just who we are)

I was at 10C today and at some points along the taxiway the snow was just about six inches below the Citabria's wing tips. Had to watch out for spades.

I was at 10C today and at some points along the taxiway the snow was just about six inches below the Citabria's wing tips. Had to watch out for spades.
I was there today as well and it was really close. I fly a Warrior, Almost could not get out of my alleyway from the snow. I will be glad that we are about to enter a melting period here.

Yeah, for some reason most of the winter weather has slipped south of Minneapolis and blasted IA and IL.

But to put this into perspective, my sister in law reported that the ski area she patrols in UT received 500 inches of snow so far this season. That's over 40 FEET of snow! She said they had to construct a tunnel through the snow to access the clinic at the base of the area.

Just about to break the 100" mark here, and if we get another 7" by the end of the season it will be the 2nd snowiest season on record. We'll probably crack 100 by Wednesday. Muskegon already topped 100" for the year, but they get the lake effect that GRR doesn't.

You realize now that you published that, you'll have to check "yes" on your next 8500 when it comes to the "mental disease" block...:yes:;)

In Colorado where it's fun to winterover. I mean how are you supposed to know it's winter if there's no snow on the ground?

Why head south just because it's winter? :confused: Running south because it gets a little cold is just plain old silly. (FWIW: There's a subgroup of us that see it as a kind of badge of honor to winterover in the north where it's snowy and cold. It's just who we are)

I was in Churchill in December, and Hay River in February one year working. It's a badge of insanity, not honor...:rofl:

Back