Fiberglass sucks!

taters

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Taters
Well after about 30 hours of labor finally done with the fiberglass on my "new" Cherokee 160..had lots of help for the paint..and thank God for that!

Attachments

• cherokee paint.jpg
    cherokee paint.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 137
I love it, messy, but rewarding when you get a nice smooth, strong part

I love it, messy, but rewarding when you get a nice smooth, strong part

For sure rewarding. The nose bowl had to basically be rebuilt where it joins together. An IA friend of mine did nothing short of a magic job making it out of aluminum...it is now in much better shape tan when it left Piper in 76.

Great looking job,now go out and show it off flying.

let us know how well it holds up. The mooney cowls are notorious for developing stress lines. In fact, I've got a small spiderweb in the paint on top of mine. From what I've read, they come back if the repair job is done incorrectly.

let us know how well it holds up. The mooney cowls are notorious for developing stress lines. In fact, I've got a small spiderweb in the paint on top of mine. From what I've read, they come back if the repair job is done incorrectly.

Same for the 2 piece piper 140 style cowls. Basically the guy fabricated and bonded aluminum into and over the pathetic fiberglass joints so the stress is now re-focused and spread out more evenly. Hes done a bunch of cowlings like this and he hast had to repair one yet....before I fly it Im going to install some clear Polyurethane tape on the wheel pants and maybe some on the upper cowl just for extra protection.

I don't mean to scare you, but I paid beaucoup bucks to a Corvette shop to re-do the cowl on my Piper Warrior. It was all cracked up, with spider webs and stress fractures.

When they were through, it was gorgeous. Flawless, even.

A year later, it was cracking again. I was really, really angry and disappointed.

I hope you have better luck.

Nice spray booth...:yes::yes:..

Parts look nice and shiny too...:)

What product did ya shoot on it? :dunno:

Back