FF and Ilevil 2

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
Is this true - according to the ad in the latest AOPA mag iLevil2 can drive FF's SV !!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 34
Eh sort of. It basically pretends to be a flight simulator and feeds data to it like X-Plane does. You won't get weather and it is unsupported. No weather is a pretty big deal breaker.

The iLevil 2 Series can be configured to use ForeFlight's Simulation protocol, which allows you to drive the App with limited functionality. Synthetic Vision, GPS Navigation and Traffic display are available when using an iLevil2. Weather information will NOT be available when using the iLevil2 in combination with ForeFlight, nor does ForeFlight offer support for the iLevil 2 series. When using the iLevil 2 in "ForeFlight Sim" mode, compatibility with all other Apps (except for AHRS Utility V3.0) is suspended, until the iLevil is configured for "default GDL90" mode.

To configure the iLevil for to work with ForeFlight's simulation protocol:

1. Turn iLevil ON
2. Connect to iPad WiFi (using iLevil network)
3. Open AHRS Utility App
4. Go to Device Config, click Enable configuration and acknowledge the warning
5. Under Protocol to use, select ForeFlight, click "Select"
6. Wait 10 seconds reboot the iLevil (OFF/ON)
7. On the diagnostics window in AHRS Utility verify that Protocol is set to "ForeFlight"

This is my biggest issue with ForeFlight. They would be smart to allow more products to integrate for the ADS-B stuff.

Eh sort of. It basically pretends to be a flight simulator and feeds data to it like X-Plane does. You won't get weather and it is unsupported. No weather is a pretty big deal breaker.

Interesting - but you still get GPS feed and traffic info ?

This is my biggest issue with ForeFlight. They would be smart to allow more products to integrate for the ADS-B stuff.

It's not that ForeFlight doesn't allow it, it's that each device they support is another development/testing effort that results in no new features. They've chosen to focus on delivering new features instead of trying to be compatible with every ADS-B box out there. There's no real standards for how the interface from the ADS-B box to the iPad works.

It's not that ForeFlight doesn't allow it, it's that each device they support is another development/testing effort that results in no new features. They've chosen to focus on delivering new features instead of trying to be compatible with every ADS-B box out there. There's no real standards for how the interface from the ADS-B box to the iPad works.

To be fair Kent, they do choose to not allow it. If they so chose they could partner with the industry as a whole to make a unified standard. But they choose not to. I don't blame them for choosing not to and I would likely do the same thing if I were in their shoes.

ForeFlight appears to have the biggest share of the EFB market*. Ensuring that one ADS-B/AHARS product works perfectly in coordination with it and supports all of its functions seems to have worked out fairly well.

Sounds pretty smart to me, whether I like it or not.

[* ForeFlight share of the market. I haven't seen a completely independent analysis but a Sporty's poll indicated something over 60% second most popular being at about 13%. Even if Sporty's results are somewhat skewed in favor of ForeFlight due to it's participation in the product, that's a pretty wide margin]

To be fair Kent, they do choose to not allow it.
...and the other half is that Appareo has chosen to have its Stratus ADS-B/WAAS portables only work with ForeFlight.

To be fair Kent, they do choose to not allow it. If they so chose they could partner with the industry as a whole to make a unified standard. But they choose not to. I don't blame them for choosing not to and I would likely do the same thing if I were in their shoes.

I've suggested that very thing - It seems like it'd benefit everyone to have that unified standard, but there doesn't seem to be a single industry player who's interested in making that happen. :(

ForeFlight appears to have the biggest share of the EFB market*. Ensuring that one ADS-B/AHARS product works perfectly in coordination with it and supports all of its functions seems to have worked out fairly well.

Sounds pretty smart to me, whether I like it or not.

[* ForeFlight share of the market. I haven't seen a completely independent analysis but a Sporty's poll indicated something over 60% second most popular being at about 13%. Even if Sporty's results are somewhat skewed in favor of ForeFlight due to it's participation in the product, that's a pretty wide margin]

I was rather shocked at an informal poll of our 30-member flying club at our annual meeting a couple years ago. There was only one pilot who wasn't using an iPad, and of those using iPads, only one did not use ForeFlight. I knew they were the dominant player in the market, I just didn't realize the extent of their dominance!

...and the other half is that Appareo has chosen to have its Stratus ADS-B/WAAS portables only work with ForeFlight.

Again, they've simply chosen not to publish an API to anyone except ForeFlight - There's nothing stopping someone with a WiFi sniffer from reverse-engineering the whole thing. But, there's not much of an advantage for someone to do that. I do wish Austin would do it so I could use Xavion as well...

If your in a club , Foreflight isn't a bad deal,you can buy one stratus two and leave it in the aircraft for all the members.

I knew they were the dominant player in the market, I just didn't realize the extent of their dominance!

Not according to a poll over at bold methods website...

Attachments

• poll.JPG
    poll.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 18
If your in a club , Foreflight isn't a bad deal,you can buy one stratus two and leave it in the aircraft for all the members.

That's what we do - Except we have three airplanes, and we share one Stratus 2. You can reserve it when you reserve an airplane. It's gone quite well so far, we've had it for a while.

It works best in our R182, which has the GTX330ES so is ADS-B Out equipped. That means a more complete traffic picture through the Stratus.

The DA40 has a G1000 with GDL69 XM datalink and the GTX33 transponder, so we do have XM weather and Mode S traffic already there.

The Archer has a GX55 and no datalink, but isn't used for long-distance travel as frequently as the faster birds.

Back