Few lessons from my last XC solo flight.

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Flew the other day from CUB-->JZI-->RBW, and the first leg of the flight was rather interesting, due to external factors and a couple of my errors.
First of all, I figured out that the tiny squelch knob mutes the radio if you turn it down all the way. After trying to contact CAE approach for the third time and even trying tower frequency, I finally realized what the problem was. By the time I turned my squelch up, I was told to contact Shaw approach since I was leaving the Columbia airspace. Went a bit further, was told to switch over to Charleston approach. I was also told to squawk VFR, which I'm not used to doing when flight following is being transferred to the next control facility (I generally just keep the transponder code). So, when asking him to confirm squawk VFR, I got caught between saying "confirm" and "affirmative". Thus, I brought forth the word that I think should be used from now on by atc: "Confirmative". Pretty catchy, eh? A little ways on, ATC told me to expect runway 3 at JZI. I called back and told him that runway 3 doesn't exist, and he claimed that he never said RWY 3 (he definitely did). So, I fly a little further and get to my destination, prepared to land on 27, right into the 7kt wind. Well, when I overfly the field, a CAP 182RG is sitting right in the middle of the runway with its nose on the tarmac and a ring of cones around it. Not landing there! So, I circle around to 22 and before turning final, I see a jet taxiing just short of 22. I quickly say "Nxxx on final 22" and still hear nothing from the jet. I make a really nice landing after the jet holds short and at about the end of the runway, I realize I'm on 120.8 instead of 122.8!
Ugh. Not a great flight overall, but I was able to stay within the FARs and out of Class C before radio contact. Plus, I got down alive. The last two legs of my flight went great, and I made two more really smooth landings (albeit a little flat) and got home safely.

Lessons learned:
1. Know your radios and be able to work out the kinks quickly (this goes for all flight instruments).
2. Think carefully before you speak; saying confirmative doesn't really interrupt anything too much, but it does make you look stupid if ATC picks up on it.
3. Check out the runway before you land! This can save you time (I would have hated to spot the plane only once I turned short final and had to fly another pattern) and even prevent an accident.
4. Check and double check your radios! I've now started to call UNICOM for a wind advisory before landing if it's an attended airport. If I'd done this at KJZI, I would not only have found that I was on the wrong frequency when nobody responded, but I also would have been told about the stranded plane on the runway before I got to the airport once I got to the right frequency.

These are mostly tips for lower hour pilots and pilots in training like myself, as I'd expect most of the seasoned vets on here to not make these rookie mistakes, but it's always good to be reminded of some of the things to look out for!

Thanks and blue skies!

Don't believe it when higher time pilots brag about never making mistakes. We're all subject to the same Laws of Stupidity at any given random moment.

It seems everyone learns a ton on those student cross countries. All kinds of **** happens, some of it due to mistakes, and some due to external factors.

On my student solo XC, I was about 50-100' agl before realizing it was the wrong runway. There was traffic waiting to takeoff on the "active" too. One of them was a pilot from my home field that I wanted to look good in front of. Ugh.

Radio etiquette:
Instead of saying "There is no runway 3!", simply ask "Approach, say again runway assignment for N234?"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back