Ferrying plane from South Carolina to phoenix

U

Unregistered

Title says it all, I'm leaving Tuesday any advice so I don't end up on this list with a story?

Pay attention to the weather.
And is there a reason you don't want anyone to know who you are? Lots of Texas , NM and AZ folks here, happy to provide more details on routes and such.

With all the information you provide, the only advice I can offer is don't crash.

IFR or VFR trip? What plane? Do you plan on flying over or around the mountains?

All this week in northwest NM we have had isolated snow showers, fog, freezing fog, low ceilings, blue skies and cold sometimes clear, sometimes cloudy nights.

If you take the southern route through NM you will have restricted areas to deal with.

With all the information you provide, the only advice I can offer is don't crash.

IFR or VFR trip? What plane? Do you plan on flying over or around the mountains?

All this week in northwest NM we have had isolated snow showers, fog, freezing fog, low ceilings, blue skies and cold sometimes clear, sometimes cloudy nights.

If you take the southern route through NM you will have restricted areas to deal with.

No kidding. I've done Virginia to Phoenix a few times. How I plan the trip is very different in the Baron than it is in the 170.

Not really a problem. You either go via Albuquerque or El Paso and they are a non-issue

I was thinking more of the White Sands area. With 8 years of medical flights I have never been able to transition through White Sands.

This time of year for weather it might be better to go through El Paso.

Not sure your intended path or altitude but check out the forecasted winds
5fc8362c7b33529388fde1a438758d11.jpg

OP: with the information provided, I recommend a westerly heading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did Huntsville to Los Angeles with a Labrador Retreiver - stopped every 3 hours or so - that would be 4 hours for you in a Skyhawk.

Depending on weather [at least til you get to West Texas 4000 is a useable IFR altitude in case of precip and ice -

over Huntsville, then across Louisiana stop someplace in north texas, over Abilene then SW toward Midland, then El Paso. Out of El Paso across the NM to SSO VOR and then which side of Phoenix are you goign to - since that will determine if you go over Gila Bend VOR or no or start north east of there -

Its not that complex and its 8500 all the way even in West Texas with a diversion or two around some peaks in NM and AZ along the airways - IFR its 10k from Midland all the way out . . ..

Go south and then follow the coast. Stop every 3 hours or less for fuel, food and lot lizards. Carry a Gatorade bottle for those mid flight urges that have you looking for the closest field to drop in on. Plug in an iPod. Makes the time go by. Use flight following all the way if your VFR.

Carry extra oil, an overnight bag, snacks.

I was thinking more of the White Sands area. With 8 years of medical flights I have never been able to transition through White Sands.

This time of year for weather it might be better to go through El Paso.

This week (yesterday, today and tomorrow) are high winds from a cold front here in EL Paso. If you check, *sometimes* they'll let you through some of the restricted areas on the edges (not direct down the middle).

This week (yesterday, today and tomorrow) are high winds from a cold front here in EL Paso. If you check, *sometimes* they'll let you through some of the restricted areas on the edges (not direct down the middle).

Those winds went through Gallup. If you see my fence send it back, would ya..?? :lol::lol: I'll send the cold air down to ya.

And we have sun today..!!:yes:

You are doing better than me, I have never been given a short cut through any airspace near White Sands. Not even on a holiday at 3 am. But I am IFR when I am in that area and I usually would like to cut straight across but end up going north of the area.

My advice to you is if you're not familiar personally with the plane, don't just take anyone's word for it. I've ferried an aircraft like that before. "It just came out of annual", "Everything will be ready for you when you get there", and "It's a great airplane" are three things that make my skin crawl when I hear them.

Im just guessing the OP won't be reporting back. If I also had to guess I would say the OP took a C206 back to Phoenix and all is well now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back