Ferrying Fuel?

JimK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JimInBonanza
Hi Guys,
I live in an area where fuel prices are crazy different. Just wondering what do y'all think about ferrying fuel in cans so you can fill up cheap? Does anybody do this? Are there approved AVgas cans? Is this legal?
Jimmy

Transporting bulk fuel is fairly common practice for me. I prefer 15 gallon tight head drums. I haul gas and diesel as shown. I limit it to 90 gallons in the cabin. I haul propane, too, but don't like that much. I've switched from 100# to 40# tanks and that helps with fume control by standing them upright to haul. With liquid fuel expect expansion. If you fill the drums on a cool morning they 'll swell and vent fumes in the heat of the day. Fill them and let them warm up, squeeze out any air, cap them tight, then fly in the cool morning and you won't have fumes.

Pay attention to W&B. Secure the load. Drums slip and slide around very easily.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Ferrying how? Tanker in your airplane, just full tanks before you land at home? Of taking a vehicle to another airport then driving the fuel to the home drome?

Most of us get fuel where it makes the most sense, especially when light without performance issues.

Then you just have to factor in convenience, price difference, hassle factors, and actual savings once you go out of your way.

I meant in a few 5 gallon gas cans. Like Stewart, although apparently I wasn't thinking big enough!

Fivers work fine. The same expansion and fumes advice applies. You can also get 5 or 6 gallon fuel bags from Alaskan Bush Wheel if you prefer that form factor.

Fivers work fine. The same expansion and fumes advice applies. You can also get 5 or 6 gallon fuel bags from Alaskan Bush Wheel if you prefer that form factor.

Curious Stewart, where do you get the 15 Gallon Tanks and how much do they cost? Do you use a pump to fuel the plane?

image.jpeg

I have a local industrial equipment supplier that sells them. I don't recall the cost. I have a crapload of 15s from hospital laundry departments and car washes, too, thanks to friends in the right places. Most of my 15s get siphon-transferred to 55s with pumps.

Freight sleds and snowmachines are the only other option for hauling fuel. These are 30s from a friend's car wash on the left and motorsport 15 gallon cubes on the right.

Last edited:
Some people get a trailer and 100 gallon gas tank and go get mogas. 5 gallon cans are a LOT of work and there is spillage.

Just don't do a Joseph Kennedy on your way back...

Long Story Short... "Several minutes short of the planned bail out, an electrical fault in the Liberator caused the Torpex to detonate. In a thunderous instant, the plane and both men flying it simply ceased to exist."

Never mind... its just highly volatile AVGAS... LOL

I'm JOKING...REALLY...I'm sure its perfectly safe...:confused:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5985733/the-secret-drone-mission-that-killed-joseph-kennedy-jr

Not a big believer on carrying gas cans in the airplane.

Me neither. Too many things to go wrong for saving a bit of cash. If flying the aircraft there to fill up isn't cost effective I'd just eat it.

And if you are just flying for yourself, it's not illegal, just dangerous...unless you actually plumb one of those tanks into the fuel system. At that point it not only requires a 337, but it is the only time I know of you're actually required to carry the 337 with you in the plane.

Buy a flying tanker like I did. I can haul 92 gallons and can get the burn back to 11. (That's a decent endurance.) And I save tons by tankering cheap fuel to visit spensy airports.

Transporting bulk fuel is fairly common practice for me. I prefer 15 gallon tight head drums. I haul gas and diesel as shown. I limit it to 90 gallons in the cabin.

Smart to keep it down to just 90x what it would take to crisp your airplane. :eek:

Not criticism, just being a smartass and pointing out that after 3 gallons or so it's a moot point how much is there, other than for W&B. :D

In an accident in a high wing plane (all I'm familiar with) the wing fuel is more of a threat than fuel in secured and tightly capped plastic containers in the cabin. I'll leave criticism if the unfamiliar to others. :)

O.K, so we are talking carrying it in your aircraft, in fuel cans. I realize this is done in AK and other remote areas, there can be very good reasons to do it.

How much distance and price difference are we talking? I'd run the numbers with costs, factoring in the possibly specialized fuel cans.

Since many of us fly around mostly for pleasure, we are versed in where the cheap fuel is. As able I'll gladly fill up, as long as it's also somewhat convenient.

Then type of plane matters. It's more of a to-do to fill from cans on a high wing. It may be frowned upon at your home airport, somewhat minor concern.

How about you just mix in some non-ethanol 91 octane from the local gas station?

Curious Stewart, where do you get the 15 Gallon Tanks and how much do they cost? Do you use a pump to fuel the plane?

15.5 gallon beer keg

Craigslist, behind a bar ;)

Between 50bucks to free

In an accident in a high wing plane (all I'm familiar with) the wing fuel is more of a threat than fuel in secured and tightly capped plastic containers in the cabin.

That's probably true. I like those 15 gallon drums they look pretty sturdy.

Perfect, Smoothwaterman--thanks! I've been looking for some ferry tanks for my collapsible aircraft!

That would be great and what I'd do if mogas were more convenient but finding ethanol-free mogas is very hard in our region. Mogas for my airplane also needs a modification the fuel system. Since I go flying to get nowhere anyhow, it's not at all inconvenient to go somewhere with cheap avgas.

Back