Ferry Permit

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Can I as owner/pilot get a permit to fly my slightly ailing bird to the mechanic? I am able to safely fly her in the current condition but she is not legally airworthy.

If so, what is involved in getting such a permit?
- Aunt Peggy

Exactly speaking, no. But most mechs take about ten minutes to inspect and sign the ferry permit. If you have a good relation with one, it's a no brainer. It'll be signed for day VFR pilot only and keeps you legal if it comes unraveled.

Your mechanic can submit the request, or you can, to the local FSDO. You will probably need a mechanic's signature that the plane is safe to fly to the designated destination and under what conditions.

I had a ferry permit faxed to me from the FSDO and presented it to the mechanic where the plane was based. It basically stated the mechanic was responsible ensuring the aircraft was safe to conduct the one time ferry flight and a logbook entry attesting to the fact was required.

AuntPeggy said:
Can I as owner/pilot get a permit to fly my slightly ailing bird to the mechanic? I am able to safely fly her in the current condition but she is not legally airworthy.

If so, what is involved in getting such a permit?
- Aunt Peggy

Sure, no worries. Call the FSDO and tell them you need a ferry permit. They'll ask you why and you tell them the problem and say you need to get the plane where it can get repaired. They'll fax you a ferry permit which will be good for that flight only and will state the limitations of the flight. Typically, it'll have Day VFR on it. Sometimes more, like "operations over densly populated areas prohibited...".

So now you take the ferry permit and the aircraft logbooks, you gotta have those as well because the ferry permit goes in it for the flight. Now you take all this to a mechanic who checks off that he thinks it should make the flight. Now here comes the most important part... YOU as PIC have to decide if the plane is airworthy for the flight. Pretty much all there is to it. Oh yeah, call your insurance company if you have the hull covered. Typically they cover ferry flights, but they want you to call first.

What the FAA will required:

You as the owner/operator will have to submit a request. This can be in a written letter faxed to your local FSDO or you can fill out a FAA Form 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness Certificate this is available on line and fax to the FSDO the form is available at www.faa.gov

Reference FAA Order 8300.10 Vol. 2 chapter 89

At the request of the applicant, a special flight permit may be transmitted via FAX equipment using the sample format of the telegraphic special flight permit described in FAA Order, 8130.2, Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Approvals, as amended.

A. The permit must include any additional operating limitations that may be required and must be displayed in the aircraft in accordance with FAR § 91.203 prior to conducting the special flight.
B. Sometimes the time normally required for postal delivery of FAA Form 8130-7, Special Airworthiness Certificate, may be too long. The transmission of a special flight permit via FAX allows an aircraft to be moved when the flight cannot be delayed.
C. FAX-transmitted special flight permits are to be used only for the following purposes:
  • Flying the aircraft to a base where repairs, alteration, or maintenance are to be performed or to a point of storage
  • Evacuating aircraft from areas of impending danger

NOTE

NOTE: FAA Form 8130-7, Special Airworthiness Certificate, must not be transmitted by FAX.

Each office should use the FAX transmission method that is most cost-effective and advantageous for that office. At the request of the applicant, a special flight permit may be transmitted via FAX equipment only from the FSDO and not DAR’s. DAR’s have to issue FAA Form 8130-7, Special Airworthiness Certificate the (Pink certificate).

Your local FSDO Maintenance Inspector will ask why you need the permit for maintenance or inspection. You are allowed to take you aircraft to a location to have either performed as long as the aircraft is safe for flight. A mechanic A&P will have to inspect your aircraft and make a maintenance record entry as indicated in the limitations that follow.

I issued these all the time, but if your aircraft is not safe or has some major problems addition maintenance may have to be performed before flight.

This permit is for the following aircraft for the purpose of [Enter purpose here]

REG. NO.
MAKE:
MODEL:
SERIAL NO:
[REG NUM]
[MANUFACTURER]
[MODEL]
[SER NUM]

TO:
VIA:
[DEPARTURE POINT]
[DESTINATION]
[ROUTING]
This authorization must be displayed in the aircraft in accordance with 14 CFR §91.203(b)
This authorization expires upon arrival at destination or [ENTER APPROPRIATE TEXT].

These Operating Limitations are a part of the Special Flight Permit issued to the aircraft described above. Flight crew members must be properly certificated and rated in accordance with 14 CFR Part 61.

1. The flight described above shall be made under VFR/VMC day conditions only, (unless the additional limitation below authorizes differently). The flight shall be made by the most direct and expeditious route consistent with the aircraft operating limitations and weather.

2. Occupancy of the aircraft is limited to the pilot, essential flight crew required to operate the aircraft and its equipment and personal baggage.

3. Flight over congested areas is prohibited, and takeoffs and landings shall be conducted to avoid congested areas in the vicinity of any of the airports used in conjunction with this authorization. Flight over a foreign country must have special permission from that country.

4. Prior to flight, the aircraft must be inspected by a certificated mechanic or repair station to determine the aircraft is safe for the intended flight. The result of that inspection will be entered in the permanent aircraft records with the following similarly worded statement: “This aircraft has been inspected and has been found safe for the intended flight in accordance with Special Flight Permit dated ____ .”

5. Operation of this aircraft is subject to the approval of the registered owner. The aircraft must display U.S. registration identification marks and have a registration certificate issued to its owner on board. This permit is valid for one flight only (Direct) with necessary fuel stops.

6. Any Airworthiness Directive pertinent to this make and model of aircraft that requires compliance must be complied with before the ferry flight is initiated unless the AD specifies that the aircraft can be ferried to a location where the requirements of that specific AD can be accomplished.
Additional Limitations:
Stache

Back