FedEx .. is this for real?

RogerT

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
When I went to Miami for Christmas I only took a very small carry
on bag so my fiancee was going to ship back my presents for me.
One of those presents was a bottle of cologne her daughter got me.
So she goes to FedEx and they had a **** fit and made her open the
box and take out the cologne and said it was too dangerous
to ship FedEx. So she couldn't ship a bottle of cologne.

So I called FedEx to see what was going on. Got some gal that judging
from her demeanor and accent was one of those McD's rejects that used
to do airport security. Sure enough she said. Cologne has alcohol in it
and so it's too dangerous to ship FedEx. She told me how if a terrorist
got hold of that they could really cause trouble. I asked her if terrorists
were prowling around on their airplanes in the cargo containers. I told
her I could put it in my suitcase and take it as checked baggage. She
said to ship it FedEx it would have to go FedEx Ground and would have
to be packed and the hazardous material paperwork completed by someone
trained and certified for that. All for a bottle of men's cologne? Yup.

Now I don't use FedEx because of a couple incidents in the past, and
this sure will preclude my shipping anything via them for work or personal
stuff.

Is this for real???

RT

Seems to be real, if there is enough alcohol to make it flammable. Per their website:
http://www.fedex.com/us/customersupport/shipsmart/1010n_fedexexpress.html said:
Special Requirements to Ship Certain Carry-on Items via FedEx Express® Looking for a way to get your lip balm and deodorant to Albuquerque without having to check your luggage at the airport? Due to the recent ban on liquids and gels in carry-on luggage on passenger airlines, travelers are increasingly interested in shipping luggage and personal items via FedEx Express. Before you do, be sure to check whether there are any special requirements for your items.
Many items normally allowed in carry-on or checked baggage, when offered separately to an air carrier either by an individual or via a luggage expediting company, are considered regulated dangerous goods or hazardous materials. These items must not be included in the shipment or they must be correctly prepared as dangerous goods.
Examples of such items that may be regulated as dangerous goods include:

• Aerosol products such as hair spray and deodorant.
  • Perfumes or colognes with sufficient alcohol to make them flammable.
  • Certain medicines like pressurized inhalers and skin treatments.
  • Matches or lighters.
  • Hair curlers that operate on butane cartridges.
  • Certain cosmetics like nail polish and nail polish remover.
  • Certain batteries like lithium batteries.

edit:
It looks as if UPS may be similar, but it's hard to determine from their site. See http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/hazardous/index.html

Last edited:
RTRTRT Wassupp??

I believe that UN1266 is the designation for cologne. It is a Hazmat unless it fits as an ORM-D. A small bottle should fit the ORM-D class.

UPS, US Post Office & FedEx are tough on Hazmat but usually accept ORM-D . If it doesnt fit the ORM-D class, try DHL, They specialize in real Hazmat.
Or return it & buy it when you get home, Put it in you checked bag, or carry on if under 3 oz.

You would be surprised how many time a day people ship it in a box without telling anyone that it is inside. :) But the fine if you are caught is thousands.

When I went to Miami for Christmas I only took a very small carry
on bag so my fiancee was going to ship back my presents for me.
One of those presents was a bottle of cologne her daughter got me.
So she goes to FedEx and they had a **** fit and made her open the
box and take out the cologne and said it was too dangerous
to ship FedEx. So she couldn't ship a bottle of cologne.

So I called FedEx to see what was going on. Got some gal that judging
from her demeanor and accent was one of those McD's rejects that used
to do airport security. Sure enough she said. Cologne has alcohol in it
and so it's too dangerous to ship FedEx. She told me how if a terrorist
got hold of that they could really cause trouble. I asked her if terrorists
were prowling around on their airplanes in the cargo containers. I told
her I could put it in my suitcase and take it as checked baggage. She
said to ship it FedEx it would have to go FedEx Ground and would have
to be packed and the hazardous material paperwork completed by someone
trained and certified for that. All for a bottle of men's cologne? Yup.

Now I don't use FedEx because of a couple incidents in the past, and
this sure will preclude my shipping anything via them for work or personal
stuff.

Is this for real???

RT

Must be a Floridia thing. My Mom tried to send a bottle of perfume to my wife for her birthday last August. She went to the post office in Vero Beach and they asked her what was in the package. When she told the counter person it was perfume she was told it was to dangerous to send through the mail. The counter person said if the perfume exploded in the airplane and killed people they would track my mom down and arrest her.

greg

If there is enough alcohol by percent weight, if it is a certain type of alcohol, AND it is over a certain amount per container. Not per shipment, per container. Check 49CFR172 and 173. My guess is the FedEx agent is clueless.

Exceptions for UN1266 (Eamon was correct)

§ 173.150 Exceptions for Class 3 (flammable and combustible liquids).

(a) General. Exceptions for hazardous materials shipments in the following paragraphs are permitted only if this section is referenced for the specific hazardous material in the §172.101 Table of this subchapter.
(b) Limited quantities. Limited quantities of flammable liquids (Class 3) and combustible liquids are excepted from labeling requirements, unless offered for transportation or transported by aircraft, and the specification packaging requirements of this subchapter when packaged in combination packagings according to this paragraph. For transportation by aircraft, the package must also comply with the applicable requirements of §173.27 of this subchapter and only hazardous materials authorized aboard passenger-carrying aircraft may be transported as a limited quantity. In addition, shipments of limited quantities are not subject to subpart F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Each package must conform to the packaging requirements of subpart B of this part and may not exceed 30 kg (66 pounds) gross weight. The following combination packagings are authorized:
(1) For flammable liquids in Packing Group I, inner packagings not over 0.5 L (0.1 gallon) net capacity each, packed in strong outer packagings;
(2) For flammable liquids in Packing Group II, inner packagings not over 1.0 L (0.3 gallons) net capacity each, unless the material has a subsidiary hazard of Division 6.1, Packing Group II, in which case the inner packagings may not exceed 100 mL (3.38 ounces) net capacity each, packed in a strong outer packaging.
(3) For flammable liquids in Packing Group III and combustible liquids, inner packagings not over 5.0 L (1.3 gallons) net capacity each, packed in strong outer packagings.
(c) Consumer commodities. Except for a material that has a subsidiary hazard of Division 6.1, Packing Group II, a limited quantity which conforms to the provisions of paragraph (b) of this section and is a “consumer commodity” as defined in 171.8 of this subchapter, may be renamed “Consumer commodity” and reclassed as ORM–D material. In addition to the exceptions provided by paragraph (b) of this section, shipments of ORM–D materials are not subject to the shipping paper requirements of subpart C of part 172 of this subchapter, unless the material meets the definition of a hazardous substance, hazardous waste, marine pollutant, or are offered for transportation and transported by aircraft, and are eligible for the exceptions provided in §173.156.
(d) Alcoholic beverages. An alcoholic beverage (wine and distilled spirits as defined in 27 CFR 4.10 and 5.11) is not subject to the requirements of this subchapter if it—
(1) Contains 24 percent or less alcohol by volume;
(2) Is in an inner packaging of 5 L (1.3 gallons) or less, and for transportation on passenger-carrying aircraft conforms to §175.10(a)(17) of this subchapter as checked or carry-on baggage; or
(3) Is a Packing Group III alcoholic beverage in a packaging of 250 L (66 gallons) or less, unless transported by air.
(e) Aqueous solutions of alcohol. An aqueous solution containing 24 percent or less alcohol by volume and no other hazardous material—
(1) May be reclassed as a combustible liquid.
(2) Is not subject to the requirements of this subchapter if it contains no less than 50 percent water.
(f) Combustible liquids. (1) A flammable liquid with a flash point at or above 38 °C (100 °F) that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class may be reclassed as a combustible liquid. This provision does not apply to transportation by vessel or aircraft, except where other means of transportation is impracticable.
(2) The requirements in this subchapter do not apply to a material classed as a combustible liquid in a non-bulk packaging unless the combustible liquid is a hazardous substance, a hazardous waste, or a marine pollutant.
(3) A combustible liquid that is in a bulk packaging or a combustible liquid that is a hazardous substance, a hazardous waste, or a marine pollutant is not subject to the requirements of this subchapter except those pertaining to:
(i) Shipping papers, waybills, switching orders, and hazardous waste manifests;
(ii) Marking of packages;
(iii) Display of identification numbers on bulk packages;
(iv) For bulk packagings only, placarding requirements of subpart F of part 172 of this subchapter;
(v) Carriage aboard aircraft and vessels (for packaging requirements for transport by vessel, see §176.340 of this subchapter);
(vi) Reporting incidents as prescribed by §§171.15 and 171.16 of this subchapter;
(vii) Packaging requirements of subpart B of this part and, in addition, non-bulk packagings must conform with requirements of §173.203;
(viii) The requirements of §§173.1, 173.21, 173.24, 173.24a, 173.24b, 174.1, 177.804, 177.817, 177.834(j), and 177.837(d) of this subchapter;
(ix) The training requirements of subpart H of part 172 of this subchapter.
(x) Emergency response information requirements of subpart G of part 172.
(4) A combustible liquid that is not a hazardous substance, a hazardous waste, or a marine pollutant is not subject to the requirements of this subchapter if it is a mixture of one or more components that—
(i) Has a flash point at or above 93 °C (200 °F),
(ii) Comprises at least 99 percent of the volume of the mixture, and
(iii) Is not offered for transportation or transported as a liquid at a temperature at or above its flash point.

Last edited:
An example of what the consumer needs to wade through to determine whether they can ship their perfume, cologne, etc. These are the directions for ORM-D via air from the UPS site:

ORM-D - Air Service
If the "Ground and Air Packaging Provisions Exceptions" column of the chemical table references a specific packaging exception, refer to that section of 49 CFR to determine if your material qualifies for the exception. If you do not meet all the conditions for that exception, you must prepare the material under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.

Using "Chromic Acid Solution" as an example, the DOT regulations allow this material to be shipped as a limited quantity if it meets the conditions of 49 CFR 173.154. Also, if the material meets the definition of a "consumer commodity," as stated in 49 CFR 171.8, the exception allows the material to be renamed "Consumer Commodity" and reclassed as ORM-D material.

In addition to the exceptions allowed for "Limited Quantities," shipments of ORM-D materials are not subject to the shipping paper requirements of subpart C of part 172 of 49 CFR, unless the material meets the definition of a hazardous substance, a hazardous waste, or a marine pollutant or unless offered or intended for transportation by aircraft.

Since this example illustrates a shipment intended for air transportation, the Shipping Paper and Shipper´s Certification must be completed.

Even though your packaging need not be a UN performance package, it must meet the requirements of 49 CFR 173.24 and 49 CFR 173.24(a) and must be capable of meeting the ISTA Procedure 1A.
1.gif

I'm reasonably aware of shipping hazzardous stuff. But this is really a stretch.

The thing that puzzles me is it's just a small bottle of cologne. I can get
on the Internet and order one and have it shipped to me. Wanna guess
how? My choice of USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

I never take checked baggage because I have plenty of clothes and
everything I need down there.

RTRTRT Wassupp??

I believe that UN1266 is the designation for cologne. It is a Hazmat unless it fits as an ORM-D. A small bottle should fit the ORM-D class.

UPS, US Post Office & FedEx are tough on Hazmat but usually accept ORM-D . If it doesnt fit the ORM-D class, try DHL, They specialize in real Hazmat.
Or return it & buy it when you get home, Put it in you checked bag, or carry on if under 3 oz.

You would be surprised how many time a day people ship it in a box without telling anyone that it is inside. :) But the fine if you are caught is thousands.

Last edited:
Yikes! I hope he has his pennies saved up. :hairraise:

LOL.. sorry. Is it under 3 oz? Just bring it back in your carry-on.

It's a little more than 3 oz or I would have just brought it.

Too bad I wasn't flying with you .. I could have just said .."but .. Speed
said it's ok .."

;-)

Sorry folks, but I'm a heck of a LOT more worried about the damage being done to the government education process by teacher's unions than I am by your average passenger carrying a simple bottle of perfume or cologne on an airliner or shipping it on FedEx. This stuff is getting just plain stupid. Next, they will be restricting the contents of my toiletries bag I carry on a threatening, 2,500 pound Skyhawk! Right after that, you'll have to register your avgas as a hazardous material before every flight.

I have come to the sorrowful realization that, nowadays, if someone asks "Is this for REAL???", the answer is usually, sadly, "Yes."

:(

Anyone had troubles mailing oil samples for analysis lately? I got the third degree at my local PO the last time I tried, but somehow managed to sweet talk the vial into our nations mail system. I'm not optimistic about future efforts (I remember them saying something about oil being a hazmat -- I said, well, this is just a sample of used oil, and that satisfied them :yes:)

Cologne - well, that just seems silly. If this is where things are headed, we should just go back to being an agrarian society using horses for travel, limit our contacts to the nearest 5-10 miles, light our homes with candles, and be done with it. Wait, that's how the Taliban ran Afganistan!?:eek:

It's a little more than 3 oz or I would have just brought it.

Too bad I wasn't flying with you .. I could have just said .."but .. Speed
said it's ok .."

;-)

Flying back from MDW last week, the limit has been increased to 3.4 oz. :eek: Maybe next month we'll go to 3.8 oz :dunno:

I have come to the sorrowful realization that, nowadays, if someone asks "Is this for REAL???", the answer is usually, sadly, "Yes."

:(

Ain't THAT the truth. The world has gone stark, raving mad.

Judy

Hazmat: There was a story that a parent broke a thermometer and called 911. They ended up with dozens of responders including the whole volunteer fire department.

This planet used to have sane people on it.

But what is galling, almost criminal, in my most humble opinion, is while we see such overreaction on the part of government at all levels regarding all these trivial things (toothpaste, cologne, &c), supposedly to protect us from ourselves, NOBODY, but nobody in the entire government seems to care one whit about the chemical DHMO!!!

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!! Black helicopters, fake Jack Bauers--the whole thing--A CONSPIRACY! Go to http://www.dhmo.org/ for more information, but be forewarned: You'll be shocked, shocked to learn of all places into which this chemical has insidiously crept. It is the enemy of our very own community! It should be the bane of all aviators and aviatrixes the world over!!

This is worse, folks, than white bread! (The consumption of which, may I point out, can be correlated to every deceased person who ate the evil stuff!)

All seriousness aside, though (;) ), we have indeed gone overboard. We have gone off the deep end, allowing the nanny state to overprotect us from ourselves. Sigh.

I just wish there was a way to turn back the clock on some things. Make life a little simpler, as it were.

Oh, well.

Jim

Last edited:
dihydrogen monoxide is pretty dangerous stuff...

This man said it best....

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
or this fellow....

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

This reminds me of the advice I received on shipping homebrew through the mail/FedEx/UPS. If you label it Beer there is a good chance it will be refused (various tax laws etc.), but if you were to call the shipment "Yeast Sample in Appropriate Medium" You'd be able to get it past most of the employees at one of those shipping places.

Pete

Well actually they do care about DHMO.
I tried to ship some (lightly) salted water USPS last summer and they said "no way, too dangerous". Its WATER, you could drink it and it wouldn't hurt you!
&$^%*

Well actually they do care about DHMO.
I tried to ship some (lightly) salted water USPS last summer and they said "no way, too dangerous". Its WATER, you could drink it and it wouldn't hurt you!
&$^%*

They tried to tell me my oil sample was too dangerous as well. It was not until I told it was mineral oil which is what baby oil is and if baby oil is safe enough o put on a kids butt then it should be ok for the USPS. Stupid logic but it worked. Now I just send it from the automated counter and no one asks me what it is.

BTW did anyone notice that the USPS took Tuesday off for President Ford's funeral? I know the feds shut down all non-essential services for that day. But at every rate increase the USPS reminds us that they are not a government service but are a quasi-private company that has to self support itself.

Well guys which is it? Independent of a government service. Seems the USPS only like to be independent when serves themselves.

For some laughs, read the MSDS for sea sand here:
https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/09890.htm

You'd never go to the beach again! This is the same sea sand that you dig up from the barrier beach from Cape Cod down to Georgia, just with the shells and other stuff removed.

We use it to keep the top of silica gel columns from getting disturbed when we seperate compounds from reaction mixtures.

There have been soooooo many aircraft lost in a ball of fire because of on-board cologne.

Next, they'll outlaw carrying fuel in airplanes.

Back