FCC Radio Operator's Permit

I doubt that it has any effect on that. For one thing, it's an operator's license, not a station license.
Correct. You must have a station or operate under an exception. The most common exception is that you are in a US registered aircraft not otherwise required to have a station license. If your airport or whatever has a UNICOM or other station license, that may cover you. Just random people jawing on a handheld outside of a station license is ILLEGAL. If you have need to talk to people in the air with a handheld, you'll need an appropriate license (typically MULTICOM or UNICOM).

And applying for a station license for aviation nowadays requires an ancient version of Java be installed on the computer for NEW (not renewal) applications on the FCC website.

Ask me how I know... Haha.

Holy hell that java app is horrible.

Yep, an amateur license is pretty much useless outside the ham bands. If you got an Amateur Extra Class license back when it meant something, you do get credit towards your commercial RADIOTELEGRAPH license code requirement.

just no code tech. Had it since about 95 or so. I don't have the drive or patience to go higher.

just no code tech. Had it since about 95 or so. I don't have the drive or patience to go higher.

No code Extra is available now. The Advanced theory test is really the hardest but it's primarily a bunch of LC resonant frequency questions. The Extra is the silliest exam. Part is just doing the same thing as the advanced only with complex numbers and part is a bunch of rules nobody follows. A lot have to do with the fact that Extra class operators are the only ones authorized for space operations. The problem with this is the FCC has routinely waived the Extra class requirement for anybody who wants to do this as long as they have at least a tech. The second, is from talking to an AMSAT-active buddy he says they generally ignore the notification rules you have to study but the the FCC after the fact when a satelite made it up.

Got my Novice in 1974. A (coded) Tech in 1979. I got my advanced and extra in 1989. I hosted the first exam session after no code tech passed in the DC Area (got over 100 applicants).

Code had its day, but is complely irrelevant in this day and age. I still won't upgrade though. Just doesn't interest me. I work repeaters all day in the Co truck and no desire to work DX at all. I've got a 8900R with a Mirage 150 which ends up giving me about a 100 miles radius from our local repeater. Pretty active rag chew crew and Skywarn we could have 50 or more on the net at a time.

Mostly my Extra class was to enable me to give exams. I'm not sure I did anything with the 25Kc of extra band space I got over my Advanced.
Margy has her Advanced, but I could never get her to cram through the last bit for her Extra.

Nerds.gif

Lol

FWIW... Mexico flying... Baja Bush Pilots say they've never been asked for radio permits in many years of flying, with thousands of flights. My experience, too, but only for maybe a dozen trips.

I have a station license for my airplane and an operators license for me. Nobody in Cuba or the Bahamas ever asked for them.

Was a simple process actually. Cost me $230 in the end ($65 processing fee each for the RR and the AC permit) and another $100 regulatory fee for the AC

Was a simple process actually. Cost me $230 in the end ($65 processing fee each for the RR and the AC permit) and another $100 regulatory fee for the AC
What is the $100 regulatory fee for? I don't remember paying that when I got my RR and station license recently. Maybe I did. Money disappears so easily around airplanes.

Thanks for all the help guys. this thread was very helpful. cant wait to get this job i just applied for.

Back in the day when I started flying you were still required to have it to fly. Is that on record somewhere and I can just have it reissued?

Back