FBOs in Northern NJ

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
So I just got a job in NJ and I'll be moving to the area soon. It is a stone's throw from KTEB, but based on what I know it's not a GA friendly drome. There are several other options (KMMU, MCDW, etc) so I imagine there would be a place to go. I found a flying club based at both KCDW and KLDJ, but I dont have the required hours/experience, dont have the $$ and dont fly often enough to join. Are there some reasonable non-club options with decent rates??

For background, I have ~120 hrs, PP-ASEL, and have only flown a PA-28 and a 172.

Last edited:
Check out RGI Aviation over at CDW. They are a small school, currently in between offices, but reasonable rates and planes are well maintained. There is also 150th Aero flying club at MMU that is affordable but there is a waiting list for membership and weekend availability means booking far in advance.

Check out this site for a decent list of a few flying clubs in the area.

As for the airports in my opinion they are both GA friendly but I personally prefer CDW. Less big jet traffic so it is usually quieter for a towered field.

Ugh. MMU is an unfriendly place.

I used to fly out of CDW, but as an owner, not a renter. I saw that diesel 182 the flying club has - it was tied down near my hangar for a few days. Boy did it smell!!! Looked pretty wild though, all sorts of bumps and holes in the cowl.

CDW controllers are (mostly) friendly, with one notable exception, but if you fly IFR it is a monumental hassle. You will wait on the ground, at the runway, engine running, for 15minutes minimum, for takeoff clearance. Usually longer. Too much airspace plus the MMU ILS right off the departure end of one runway.

If you can head further south, N51 Solberg has inexpensive (maybe $95) 172s for rent. Lincoln Park is a friendly place, although I don't know if there is a rental fleet there. Close to CDW and MMU.

Also MMU has the ridiculous TSA badge requirement. So you must wear the lanyard at all times and park your car on the ramp. Which makes meeting friends and other there a hassle.

Don't forget Lincoln Park! I have dealt in the past with LPA at N07; a good outfit. There's also another flight school on the field (not sure what their deal is with rentals), and a nice restaurant.

FWIW, I know the club of which you speak... I was toying with membership for a while (when I had more money), attended a couple of meetings (and post-meeting gatherings at the Crow's Nest), and flew with them for breakfast at KVAY... it seems like a great club and the fleet is very nice. Might be something to look into later.

When I fly into the area I usually go to EWR or TEB. I get really tired of being in the city, so we usually venture out into the countryside and go knocking about at the little airports. Northern New Jersey has some really nice small GA airports located in really nice looking countryside. I really don't get why New Jersey gets made so much fun of. It really is a beautiful place once you get away from Newark.
I'm not sure where you will be living. You may want to check out these airports besides the ones that others have already listed:
4N1 Greenwood Lake
FWN Sussex
12N Aeroflex
1N7 Blairstown

Back