Votes: 26 32.5%
  • Cessna 120

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Luscombe

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Taylorcraft

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Depends on what the mission is. For putzing around the local area hands down a J3 or Champ. J3 flies nicer but the Champ is more comfortable. If you are under 5'10" the Luscombe is entertaining and is mildly aerobatic. The Tcraft is a very nice flying airplane but has a pretty cramped cockpit like the Luscombe. The 120/140 are very nice flying and have good leg and head room but are a little narrow for the wide shoulder type. Toss up between the 120 and a Tcart being the most docile handling of the bunch. I have flown all of these airplanes with a lot of time in a J3, Champ and 140. I still fly the 140 and Champ on a regular basis. These old low power airplanes are great teachers and I encourage anyone to fly one of these if they get the opportunity. Don

Well if were getting off the list...

A proper Tailwheel plane,

Stinson (any of them)
Maule (great bang for the buck)
Helio
Stearman (rich folks will pay big buck for rides lol)
NXT Nemesis
Casult
Bellanca cruser
Porter
DHC 2/3

THE best of the bunch was left off the list, steerman, N3N, F-22, Waco, ryan.
Who can tell me they wouldn't love these.

The Ryan is nice, I have no love for biplanes, I have enough time in them, they have all the disadvantages of a high and a low wing with the advantages of neither. I can see in some aerobatic uses where all that drag can come in handy, but I don't fly like that anymore.

Back