Favorite Airliners

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
We all have our own favorite airplanes that we have flown.

We all have flown on the airlines at one time or another.
I am wondering what are some of your favorite airliners that you have been passengers on.

Some of my favorites are;

Lockheed Constellation or "Connie", Douglas DC 6B, Convair 440, Boeing 707. Douglas DC 3. and Boeing 377 Stratocruiser.

John J

did you want to know our favorite airplane or airline?
Airline I still miss the old PSA with a smile on it. Airplane, My favorite so far would be the L10-11, largest i have been on.

Michael

The L-1011's were a nice ride. A LOT nicer than the DC-10 series.

Michael said:
did you want to know our favorite airplane or airline?
Airline I still miss the old PSA with a smile on it. Airplane, My favorite so far would be the L10-11, largest i have been on.

Michael

Michael; I remember the PSA smile in their planes Some more airliners that I enjoyed to ride in

Lockheed Electra, Boeing 737, Douglas DC 4 Dash 7 and 8 series Vickers Viscount.

John J

John J said:
Michael; I remember the PSA smile in their planes Some more airliners that I enjoyed to ride in

Lockheed Electra, Boeing 737, Douglas DC 4 Dash 7 and 8 series Vickers Viscount.

John J

Vickers Viscount???

One of the best aircraft was a PamAm 747SP spent alot back and forth to Japan.

Stache

wsuffa said:
The L-1011's were a nice ride. A LOT nicer than the DC-10 series.

My acro instructor flew 727's and L-1011's for Eastern for 10 years, right up until they went belly up.

His comments: 727: built like a tank, L-1011: A true Cadillac of the skies that was very very advanced for its day. Flew like a dream.

DC6B first ride, Ford Tri-motor, Convair 880, 747, and of course the L1011.

Ron

I would have loved a ride in a Comet. Well.. after they fixed the blowing-apart problem. I thought they looked very cool for their time.

Also how about a ride across the pacific in one of Juan Trippe's Pan Am Clippers?! Huge flying boat, full course meals served in a well appointed cabin and everyone dresses up (in their dressing room, of course!).

1974 - L1011 Eastern Airlines (First time I flew Huge and smooth)

1977-747-400 EL AL Airlines (First flight on a 747 spotless equipment awesome service I was 14 my brother 12 we got bumped to First Class yowza)
1985- DC-3 PBA ( Provincetown-Boston Airways) Big throaty radials a classic need I say more.

Gotta say - the 777 is my favorite by far. Comfy and packed with amenities.

Of course, I didn't get a chance to fly the other, cooler airplanes y'all have mentioned.

I just loved the beautiful lines of the Dassault Caravelle, go to fly on one (in the twilight of its era) in Ecuador; even all raggedy looking (though spotlessly clean), it was smooth and whisper-quiet inside.

Funny thing: airline we had tickets on had mechanical, so they borrowed an airplane from another airline. Both flew Caravelles. Guayaquil to Quito.

Funny.

the nicest aircraft ever "Lockheed Vega"

Let'sgoflying! said:
Also how about a ride across the pacific in one of Juan Trippe's Pan Am Clippers?!
I'd do that in a heartbeat... but I would have my ANR headset along!

-Skip

Hands-down, a DC-3. Got to fly on a couple that were still in airline service in the Virgin Islands back in the early 80's. The fact that it was transporting me between warm tropically islands may bias my opinion. :D

Jeff

NC19143 said:
the nicest aircraft ever "Lockheed Vega"

That must have been a really fun ride; They were quite a plane. As some have mentioned the L1011 was a really nice big bird to ride on. Smooth and quiet.

John

Don't remember how it rode, but I sure remember the amenities of the DC-6. My first airplane ride. Mom, Dad and 5 little kids. All dressed in our Sunday best. Trip from Moline to O'Hare (then on Braniff 707 to San Antonio).

When they saw our family of little kids they seated us in the front cabin. Eight seats in a club arrangement, four on each side of the aisle. Just behind the cockpit.

Starched cotton napkins on the headrest. Meal service with china and silverware.

And of course the sound, sights and smell of the those big radials starting up right outside the window.

When air travel was glamorous.

Photo link: http://www.nca.com.na/tour.htm

Larry Liebscher said:
Don't remember how it rode, but I sure remember the amenities of the DC-6. My first airplane ride. Mom, Dad and 5 little kids. All dressed in our Sunday best. Trip from Moline to O'Hare (then on Braniff 707 to San Antonio).

When they saw our family of little kids they seated us in the front cabin. Eight seats in a club arrangement, four on each side of the aisle. Just behind the cockpit.

Starched cotton napkins on the headrest. Meal service with china and silverware.

And of course the sound, sights and smell of the those big radials starting up right outside the window.

When air travel was glamorous.

Photo link: http://www.nca.com.na/tour.htm

Larry, now you did it! My first 2 rides were on the DC-6. OAK to ORD with my mom and older brother. I was 5 and they didn't mind us playing tag up and down the aisles. Later, OAK to HNL with the entire family my brother and I got to spend several hours in the cockpit being 'force fed' anything we wanted to eat or drink. The Capt let my brother talk to a flight of F-4s as they pulled up on our wing for a short time. The seats seemed bigger than my bed. I think the stew had a crush on me.

After that, we rode DC-8s, -9s a lot. It got to the point I sniffed at Boeings. Man o man, sweet memories.

I've never flown the airlines, but my fovirite plane to fly in is my Warrior,and i really like the ride in Fuddy-Duddy (B-17). does that count Dave G

AdamZ said:
1985- DC-3 PBA ( Provincetown-Boston Airways)
Remember PBA's DC-3 N136PB, the highest-airframe-time piston airplane on the planet (91,400+ hours)? It was featured in the PBS Nova production, The Plane That Changed The World. It's back in its original paint scheme (Eastern Air Lines) and registration number (NC18121), and parked at my home field: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/649585/L/

-- Pilawt

Let'sgoflying! said:
I would have loved a ride in a Comet. Well.. after they fixed the blowing-apart problem. I thought they looked very cool for their time.

They're still flying as the British "Nimrod" ASW platform. Britain's version of the Electra/P-3, except the Nimrod is a true jet, not a turbo prop. I believe both started as civilian airliners.

Oh, and I like the Boeing 247. Eclipsed by the DC-3, but still a groundbreaking design.

DH-6 Twin Otter, L1011 and believe it or not, the Cessna 402 (small commuter airline with hops from Las Vegas to KGCN and tours of the Canyon). Probably something for another thread, but the worst was the DC-10 from Phoenix to Frankfurt on my deployment overseas. Rough flight.

Back