Favor for a friend

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Favor for a friend. A friend/neighbor asked me to drop him off so he could pick up his C-185. I said no problem, 1 hour flight. By the way, I need to pick up some tools at the same location so we can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Weather is the only factor. I really like a 3,500 foot ceiling when flying over as much open water as we will be doing. 6sm visibility or better is good with me.

It will be fun wasting the morning away after working 28 days straight in an underground mine.

It will be fun wasting the morning away after working 28 days straight in an underground mine.
Any reason to go flying is a good reason. What do you do for a living underground?

Any reason to go flying is a good reason. What do you do for a living underground?
Maintain equipment, lately mostly drills and bolters. It's not a bad gig, long hours but pays well

HPIM1435.JPG DR25 NC pic.JPG Here is a bolter and a jumbo I rebuilt, both on there way back to the mine

Last edited:
Favor for a friend. A friend/neighbor asked me to drop him off so he could pick up his C-185. I said no problem, 1 hour flight. By the way, I need to pick up some tools at the same location so we can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Weather is the only factor. I really like a 3,500 foot ceiling when flying over as much open water as we will be doing. 6sm visibility or better is good with me.

I delivered a new 182 my friend bought. He was still working on his private certificate when he asked me to pick it up from the dealership. It had 18 hours TT and smelled like a new car. Half way there the engine quit, before I could react it caught again and I flew on, then it stopped again, this time for a few minutes. I competed the engine out checklist and lined up on a road. Made my approach and again it started by itself. I climbed out circling my road to land if necessary. Got it to altitude and continued as my destination airport was the closest. I stayed high and circled the airport to land. Engine was working well until roll out when it stopped for the third time. I couldn't start it and they had to tow it in. This was not my imagination. I informed my friend and he had a mechanic come out and I flew with them for 2 and a half hours. Not one problem. Man, I looked like a suspicious dude, indeed. I called the dealership and the next day. Myself and another mechanic flew to the plane and after another flight of 2 hours nothing happened. He checked everything and had me trying to recreate the failure. Again nothing. Behind my back I knew I was thought of as the pilot who cried wolf. They called the manufacturer and had the history of the plane and it's production test flight reviewed. No problems anywhere but with one pilot, me. And this was a "Brand new airplane" fresh from the factory. I walked away knowing the truth and kept trying to due my "due diligence" so no one would crash but it all fell on deft years. That is until my friend and his flight instructor rolled the new 182 into a ball on take off when the engine quit for them. No one was injured more than a few bruises and cuts, incredibly . The new 182 was a balled up wreck.
Now everyone believes everything I say. So it might be a good thing to do a favor for a friend. I would never have had a free mind as long as that plane flew and I knew it had a problem. It all turned out OK. The problem was that the magnetos, somehow both were grounding out, hmmm. Cessna paid for everything. Go ahead and do a favor for a friend, but don't cry wolf .....!

Go ahead and do a favor for a friend, but don't cry wolf .....!
Boy that was a story to say the least. Glad no one was hurt.

He left the plane at its location because of weather. I think it has been there for a month. I will make sure everything is good to go before departing. He will most likely beat me back home by 15 or 20 minutes. My Sport is slooooow...:rolleyes:

Back