Fate is the Hunter movie

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
now that I'm well into the book, I want to watch the movie.

Any idea what source is streaming it?

No idea. It wasn't a good movie.

The book may be the best aviation book ever written. The movie has no relation to the book other than the title. Because of this, Gann had his name removed from the movie's credits.

I liked the movie. Few movies ever are as good and even fewer are better than the books they are based on.

I liked the movie. Few movies ever are as good and even fewer are better than the books they are based on.

You're right. But this particular movie wasn't based on the book. It was named the same as the book.

There is one story in the movie. That story doesn't resemble any of the stories from the book.

So, does anyone know where to stream it?

<back to the OP's intent>

This thread is awesome. Movie has nothing to do with the book, even though many above seem to think they’re one in the same. :)

Years ago I was asked to rebuild a damaged STA Ryan, a friend said to get the movie, "To Hot To Handle", I did and while watching it, the neatest Staggerwing Beech on floats lands in the background, has nothing to do with Fate..., but it reminded me of what I saw, still think of that beautiful airplane

This thread is awesome. Movie has nothing to do with the book, even though many above seem to think they’re one in the same. :)

The backstory is that Gann's aviation stories were turned into a couple of very good movies and he became a recognizable name in Hollywood. So a studio bought the rights to Fate is the Hunter and hired Gann to get his name on the project. The ultimate result was a movie with a storyline that didn't come from the book. Gann was so disgusted by the whole thing, he asked for his name to be removed.

Hard to imagine any pilot not enjoying the book as it is surely Gann’s greatest work. The movie not so much as it didn’t have much to do with the book.

The backstory is that Gann's aviation stories were turned into a couple of very good movies and he became a recognizable name in Hollywood. So a studio bought the rights to Fate is the Hunter and hired Gann to get his name on the project. The ultimate result was a movie with a storyline that didn't come from the book. Gann was so disgusted by the whole thing, he asked for his name to be removed.

The book was very good.

I'm usually good at this, but i can't find it streaming unless you want to try PutLocker. I have not had much success with that site in the past. However, there seems to be a few versions in the Tor net, bitTorrent is the best for that. If you're not computer literate, and not super careful, you can open a wormhole and cause a space-time continuum rip at your desk. Usually, you'll just lose a few things from your immediate reach, but sometimes, who knows where you'll end up. I once came back as a newt! I got better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm usually good at this, but i can't find it streaming unless you want to try PutLocker. I have not had much success with that site in the past. However, there seems to be a few versions in the Tor net, bitTorrent is the best for that. If you're not computer literate, and not super careful, you can open a wormhole and cause a space-time continuum rip at your desk. Usually, you'll just lose a few things from your immediate reach, but sometimes, who knows where you'll end up. I once came back as a newt! I got better.

Do people still use BitTorrent?

Not worth the effort for this flick unless you just need to fill out the reference card for Mr. Gann.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Of course, it's still used. On the rise in regions where streaming is blocked or throttled. Or if one doesn't want to pay for hbo but they gotta got their got fix.

I wonder if your library would have it?

I'd probably like the book if it was about flying...lol...I never did find out if it was about flying, because lets just say that Gann is a VERY wordy guy....I didn't get past the first chapter.

One thing about the movie that I remember is no way that plane would fly, CG is all wrong. It was like they grafted a couple of turbines onto the tail of an Electra. Or that might have been another movie, it's been a while.

One thing about the movie that I remember is no way that plane would fly, CG is all wrong. It was like they grafted a couple of turbines onto the tail of an Electra. Or that might have been another movie, it's been a while.

I think the airplane started as a DC-4 or a Northstar, which I think was effectively a Merlin engined DC-4.

Fate is The Hunter is about as good as it gets. One of my favorite chapters is about his first flight to Greenland.... mapping as they went. Almost missed it, descended in the soup on time hack, deployed the 'fish' for a B/U altimeter. Awesome stuff

And is disdain for the DC-2..... brick

Well there is a chapter when they were flying the hump and a load of steel came loose and they almost took out one of the world wonders... The Taj Mahal...

The ironic thing is that Gann subsequently wrote "Band of Brothers" which used a very similar plot to the movie "Fate is the Hunter"... pilot crashes, friends investigate to come up with the reason.

Ron Wanttaja

Not exactly true.

Gann actually did write the story line for the movie. The problem Gann had was trying to condense the book into a single movie. As mentioned, High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky were both novels/movies based on true stories that were just slivers of the overall Fate is the Hunter book.

So Gann came up with the fictional story line for the movie to attempt to capture the feel/theme of the book which is essentially a battle between chance, luck and destiny. But he was never happy with it, dragged his feet because he couldn’t come up with something he was happy with and ultimately lost out because of the contract.

Personally, I have always loved the movie, BUT, I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I saw the movie as a kid long before I ever read the book. I think if I had read the book first, I’d have a very different opinion, and I can understand why Gann wasn’t happy with it.

As far as finding a copy, they occasionally show up around the internet. I got my DVD copy over 10 years ago, so haven’t looked for one lately.

I think the airplane started as a DC-4 or a Northstar, which I think was effectively a Merlin engined DC-4.
It was a DC-6 with jet engines slung under the horizontal stabs.

Supposedly because jets were still very new then, and the public was concerned about safety, when they were making the movie, no jet manufacturer wanted one of their airplanes to be seen in a movie invoking a crash.

So the Hollywood types got the DC-6 and modified it.

Great movie, thanks for the link. I remember seeing this movie on TV as a kid, even after all these years, and now noticing the technical shortcoming now that I’m a pilot, it’s still a good movie.

I’m ****ed that I can’t get the book in any digital form. I’m way past reading dead trees ;)

Back