fatal midair :(

Interestingly, I arrived at a nearby airport Saturday and saw 2 Pipers that obviously decided to fly formation. The 4-seater (with passenger IIRC) took the runway and as soon as he commenced his takeoff run the 6 seater (solo IIRC) was on the runway.

Wheels were up 50 feet on the 4 seater when the 6 seater was rolling down the runway. They made a left turn after departure and went out of sight.

I was at my car on my way home when I saw this. After I got home, I could look up and whaddya know...about 2000 feet or so above, 2 Pipers flying formation. Hopefully this wasn't them.

Interestingly, I arrived at a nearby airport Saturday and saw 2 Pipers that obviously decided to fly formation. The 4-seater (with passenger IIRC) took the runway and as soon as he commenced his takeoff run the 6 seater (solo IIRC) was on the runway.

Wheels were up 50 feet on the 4 seater when the 6 seater was rolling down the runway. They made a left turn after departure and went out of sight.

I was at my car on my way home when I saw this. After I got home, I could look up and whaddya know...about 2000 feet or so above, 2 Pipers flying formation. Hopefully this wasn't them.
Considering that neither of the accident planes was a 6 seater and neither had a passenger, it doesn't sound like you saw the same planes.

Here's the thing about formation flight. It's fun. It's feels like kinda "right stuff" precision aviating. And it seems like it's a lot easier to do safely than it is. That sucks pilots in closer than they ought to be when they've formed up in an impromptu and unplanned manner. It's a skill that requires some good instruction and it involves some perhaps unintuitive factors that are required to make it safe.

Let me be the first to say, Ron's right.

Also, it's better to be lucky than good. Just because you've gotten away with it every other time should not imply you know what you're doing. Form. flying requires more than guts.

Twice I was almost in a mid-air with high time pilots experienced in formation flying at the stick. Both times because lead didn't stick with the plan. And the 2nd time an aggravating factor was that our plane didn't initially make correct response to lead screwing up. Doesn't sound much like experience at the stick but any one of these guys had more time flying formation than but a handful of pilots have TT.

I hate to hear of any accident it makes me sick but come on guys what the hell were they thinking
all risk no reward

Considering that neither of the accident planes was a 6 seater and neither had a passenger, it doesn't sound like you saw the same planes.

NTSB is showing one is a PA-28, Cherokee and a PA-24 Comanche..

Another site is now stating there was three people, two in one plane, one in the other and there is a survivor in the one that didn't burn. Who knows what is accurate though. :sad:

NTSB is showing one is a PA-28, Cherokee and a PA-24 Comanche..

Another site is now stating there was three people, two in one plane, one in the other and there is a survivor in the one that didn't burn. Who knows what is accurate though. :sad:
One of the initial news reports mentioned 3 people involved. FAA prelim shows only 2. I'd go with the Feds before the local news.

Preflight breifing!!! Always a must before undertaking any formation flight. It can be done safely and is always a hoot but requires lots of preplanning and attention to detail.

Preflight breifing!!! Always a must before undertaking any formation flight. It can be done safely and is always a hoot but requires lots of preplanning and attention to detail.
Agreed... but what's most important is to know the fundamentals of staying safe in formation.

Back