Fastest groundspeeds

Someone got 298 in a Bo... But someone else got 338 in a 182!!! :hairraise:

And I thought the 204 I saw last night was noteworthy...

Richard said:
Chip, what's with the missing W?

He thinks it's time to get rid of the W.

Unfortunately, he'll have to wait a little longer.

Dan

Just go and get a Columbia 400 and find a nice tailwind; easy to see 250 kts and not to hard to get near 300 kts at flight levels.

Scott

What's up with the Baron 55 record? 223 knots and the pilot claims a 72 knot tailwind ... yet the fuel flow meter is reading nearly 14 GPH per side. I'm missing something here. That seems 40 knots slow.

Looking at those I feel good about my 151 kt GS in our 172.

I was at level at 7500 w/ a good tailwind crossing Ohio late afternoon last November (2005).

Of course the next day coming back at 4500 my best GS was 91 kts and the return trip took almost an hour longer...

inav8r said:
Looking at those I feel good about my 151 kt GS in our 172.

I was at level at 7500 w/ a good tailwind crossing Ohio late afternoon last November (2005).

Of course the next day coming back at 4500 my best GS was 91 kts and the return trip took almost an hour longer...
I was showing 189 kts gs in a 172 at 10000 in Australia. Slowest was 50 kts in my Warrior heading westbound from Midland Tx., didn't think I would ever get home. lol
Don

That M20A is a pretty good one...I've had the M20C up over 180 mph indicated while descending but I was a bit busy to get the ground speed (redline is 189 MPH). I've also cruised at 158-159 KTAS but when I've had it going that fast it has always happened going into the wind. Going into Providence once I was asked to "reduce speed" as I was gaining on a commuter turbo prop. I had gone from the Philadelphia area up high over the NYC TCA and kept the cruise power in during descent.

Len

Last edited:
I was hitting 165 Knots ground speed at 7,500 FT coming back from Denver last Sunday. I averaged more like 152 knots GS over the trip, but the last three hour leg, I was really moving.

219.8 knots last weekend in the 182RG, but don't have a photo of the GPS.

Back