Fascinating dietary statistics

I'm performing an uncontrolled study of one. I'll let you know how it turns out in 20 or so years if I'm still around to report the results. I love anything made with peanuts too so I'm pretty sure they are healthful as well. :)

Then why are peanuts not allowed in so many schools now? When I was in school peanut butter was part of our school lunch at least three times a week, and there were other peanut products as well. I can't remember one kid having a reaction. Now, apparently this peanut reaction is so common we have to isolate peanuts away from the general population. It would appear that there is a peanut allergy epidemic.

Then why are peanuts not allowed in so many schools now? When I was in school peanut butter was part of our school lunch at least three times a week, and there were other peanut products as well. I can't remember one kid having a reaction. Now, apparently this peanut reaction is so common we have to isolate peanuts away from the general population. It would appear that there is a peanut allergy epidemic.
It's more of a fad. For every kid with a real life threatening peanut allergy there are a hundred claiming to have one when they don't. Unfortunately, the real allergy can be deadly so our kids are deprived of this tasty legume.

One theory has it that peanut allergies are a result of modern kids being constantly hosed down with hand sanitizer. So schools are banning that now as well. Probably too late once the kid is school age but hey you can't stop stupid from trying.

One theory has it that peanut allergies are a result of modern kids being constantly hosed down with hand sanitizer. So schools are banning that now as well. Probably too late once the kid is school age but hey you can't stop stupid from trying.
Kids growing up on a filthy farm have fewer allergies and less asthma. There are adverse consequences to our overprotective culture.

Kids growing up on a filthy farm have fewer allergies and less asthma. There are adverse consequences to our overprotective culture.
I agree. realize my previous post makes me look pro hand sanitizer when in fact I am pro dirt.

I know. I was agreeing with you. Plain soap and water is just fine for hygiene.

Amen to that.

On another note, this was today's lunch: Fresh, local tomatoes, mozzarella, and onions on a home-made, whole-wheat pita, heated for 10 minutes in the toaster oven. Net carbs: ~ 38 grams. Total artificial additives: 0.

-Rich

Attachments

• pizza-pita.jpg
    pizza-pita.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Does anybody here still need an explanation why obesity is such a big problem? I bet I could eat two or more of these. Yum.

Pizza Hut is rolling out a new, pizza-sized chocolate chip cookie Monday in the hopes that the gooey desert will attract more young customers to the national chain.
At almost eight inches in diameter, sliced into eight pieces, the product's official name is the Ultimate Hershey's Chocolate Chip Cookie.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-hopes-lure-millennials-new-pizza-cookie.html

article-2691995-1FA466BD00000578-91_634x465.jpg

I guess this was the slide that impressed me the most and got me to start this thread:
Unrefined plant food vs disease.jpg
It seems to confirm Rich's suspicions and buttress other comments about sugar. It's an eye-opener for me even though I've chosen a plant-based diet to stop/reverse my heart disease. Cancer is included here too.

dtuuri

Interesting.

Obvious questions...

...what do people in Laos, Thailand and Korea tend to die from?

...and is their average life expectancy significantly higher (or lower) than the countries on the "left"?

It seems like I am limited to....
Pork Rinds
Meat sticks
Nuts
Cheese
Sometimes a gas station will have hard boiled eggs.

...lettuce wrap burger. ... I wish the KFC "DoubleDown" was not breaded.

Panera's chicken cobb with avacodo ...
... HBEggs, preslicing a summer sausage, ...pre-wrapped real cheese sticks ...

...heavy cream in my coffee... ... parmesean "crackers".

My gawd, man, don't eat that stuff! It'll kill ya fer sure!

dtuuri

Interesting.

Obvious questions...

...what do people in Laos, Thailand and Korea tend to die from?

...and is their average life expectancy significantly higher (or lower) than the countries on the "left"?

I'd say it's irrelevant. Suppose, for instance, they die from bullets?

dtuuri

dtuuri

Relevant would be if they had higher incidences of stroke or other life-limiting ailments that can be traced to their diets.

Admittedly, some diets are "better" than others, but there is no "perfect" diet that suits all populations - humans can thrive on a very wide variety of nutrient types.

dtuuri

Quite relevant actually. If they die from bullets by age 40 while those who die from heart disease and cancer typically die in their 50's & 60's then their (the Laotians, etc.) diet is irrelevant. You can't tell if it causes heart disease and cancer or not, the SE Asians don't live long enough to tell.

For example.

John

Some of this is misleading. Some number of those who die from heart troubles are old enough that they're going to die of something. I've told Mrs. Steingar that dying anytime after your eighth zero birthday is no tragedy. We humans weren't really built to go that much longer (with some exceptions).

That said, only on POA would folks try and argue that a vegetarian diet isn't good for you. Oh, it doesn't have to be, but vegetarians who get fat do so by ingesting the wrong things and they know it. No vegetarian will stay skinny eating tons of cheese or Ho-hos.

Problem with getting fat is it leads to tons of health problems while you're alive. Criminy, I just came from dealing with a friend's ex. She must be pushing 400 lbs, she's that big. What she dies of is immaterial, the poor thing can barely walk, already has a diabetic tremor, and is in generally poor health. Pfeh! Who needs it?

By the way, when I go for holidays like Thanksgiving I usually stuff a squash. Makes a main course for me and mine and a side dish for everyone else. Never had to take one home.

A diet that controls caloric intake (thereby avoiding obesity and it's attendant problems) and keeps various nutrients in balance (proteins, fats, carbs and all those pesky vitamins and minerals) will help anyone live a longer and healthier life than they would have otherwise.

How you get to that diet my be immaterial although I don't think I've ever seen such a study controlled for that. Hmm.

And Steinigar, based on what you've posted here, I'd love to sit down at your table most anytime. Even though I'm not a vegetarian.

John

And Steinigar, based on what you've posted here, I'd love to sit down at your table most anytime. Even though I'm not a vegetarian.

John

I swear by the great god Odin that no one has ever left my table anything less than sated. I've yet to hear any complaints either first or second hand. Perhaps the day will come.

Relevant would be if they had higher incidences of stroke or other life-limiting ailments that can be traced to their diets.

Quite relevant actually. If they die from bullets by age 40 while those who die from heart disease and cancer typically die in their 50's & 60's then their (the Laotians, etc.) diet is irrelevant. You can't tell if it causes heart disease and cancer or not, the SE Asians don't live long enough to tell.

Some of this is misleading. Some number of those who die from heart troubles are old enough that they're going to die of something.
Ok, guys, I concede the point. It's relevant. :)

By the way, when I go for holidays like Thanksgiving I usually stuff a squash. Makes a main course for me and mine and a side dish for everyone else. Never had to take one home.

The first Thanksgiving on my new diet I stuffed a roasted pumpkin. Unfortunately, the only "stomach" it filled was the trash can. Not knowing that vanilla soy milk wasn't the same as plain soy milk I made the mashed potatoes with the vanilla variety. Yuck. :sad: Then the pumpkin melted in the oven into a gooey glob. It was not the crispy "roasted" pumpkin I envisioned, it was a soggy mess of hot garbage. However, being the prudent pilot I am, I had an alternate filed--a left-over lentil loaf from the previous day and it made an uneventful hot landing on my plate. :)

dtuuri

Last edited:
The first Thanksgiving on my new diet I stuffed a roasted pumpkin. Unfortunately, the only "stomach" it filled was the trash can. Not knowing that vanilla soy milk wasn't the same as plain soy milk I made the mashed potaoes with the vanilla variety. Yuck. :sad: Then the pumpkin melted in the oven into a gooey glob. It was not the crispy "roasted" pumpkin I envisioned, it was a soggy mess of hot garbage. However, being the prudent pilot I am, I had an alternate filed--a left-over lentil loaf from the previous day and it made an uneventful hot landing on my plate. :)

dtuuri

Never stuffed a pumpkin, they're a bit big. I've done acorn, butternut, spaghetti and a few others. I've learned from experience that tomato and squash were made to be together, they fit perfectly. I bake squash that's been sliced in half and seeded at 400 degrees for I think 15-20 minutes, it's pretty obvious when the stuff is done. Meat comes out and goes for a spin in the food processor with some kind of tomato, usually a vegetable, sometimes greens, always a protein source (TVP works great for this) a couple/few eggs for binder and some whole-grain breadcrumbs to dry it out. Add spice depending on my mood. Topped with bread crumbs/cheese/tapenade or whatever you fancy. Re bake at 350 degrees until set, about 35 minutes if memory serves.

I guess this was the slide that impressed me the most and got me to start this thread:
View attachment 34959
It seems to confirm Rich's suspicions and buttress other comments about sugar. It's an eye-opener for me even though I've chosen a plant-based diet to stop/reverse my heart disease. Cancer is included here too.

dtuuri

The chart would indicate you need to incease your unrefined plant food. Sugar correlation doesn't appear in the chart so no conclusions can be drawn in that regard.

Human edible plant material contains fiber and potassium. Both known to be good for the heart.

Here is one of the preachers from my cult. Only expect the already converted to care, everyone else is chasing their own false diet gods.:lol:
Seriously what the vegans and paleo diets do is avoid sugar and processed food. Avoiding sugar and sugar substitutes is key. The plant vs meat thing is secondary to not eating garbage in the first place.

View attachment 34959

dtuuri

Interesting, I could also replace the green bar with 'Stress'.

Talk like that is going to anger up our corporate overlords. Now lets talk about how lazy Americans are and how they should stop reading crap on the internet and get back to work.:D

The plant vs meat thing is secondary to not eating garbage in the first place.

Until there's a study on par with Esselstyn's and the case studies comparable to the three I linked to above for Rich--that's just wishful thinking. Conventional moderate lifestyle changes only led to more conventional interventions and more "events" which ceased after receiving "plant therapy". I look forward to the day a three-year paleo diet study documents disease reversal, salmon really tasted good!

dtuuri

Last edited:
There is a bunch of stuff out there blasting Esselstyn's work. I don't care enough to play link posting wars or read any, nor do I expect people to read the ones I posted. Funtime on the internet. I'm telling you sugar, grains, and food made in a factory is the problem. Add stress, cookies run through a blender and sprinkled with colored sugar water sold as coffee and there is America's health problem. Simple. No one wants to give up their junk food or learn to cook. And there is too much money and momentum tied up in maintaining the same ole conventional wisdom. Think of the horror of a skinny America all those fine people that work at the scooter store being out of work. We can't have that.
Until there's a study on par with Esselstyn's and the case studies comparable to the three I linked to above for Rich--that's just wishful thinking. Conventional moderate lifestyle changes only led to more conventional interventions and more "events" which ceased after receiving "plant therapy". I look forward to the day a three-year paleo diet study documents disease reversal, salmon really tasted good!

dtuuri

There is a bunch of stuff out there blasting Esselstyn's work.
None I know of with a credible study that backs their assertions and offers a better solution.

I don't care enough to play link posting wars or read any, nor do I expect people to read the ones I posted.

This isn't for you, it's for those who don't know of the study published this month we're referring to.
http://www.jfponline.com/articles/o...rse-cad/f74f8ebb9261a837f3511f407516c7e5.html

dtuuri

Seriously what the vegans and paleo diets do is avoid sugar and processed food. Avoiding sugar and sugar substitutes is key. The plant vs meat thing is secondary to not eating garbage in the first place.

I believe that based on my own experience, but I'd add excess starchy vegetables to the "avoid" list, as well. When I was eating vegetarian I gained weight and my lipid profile got worse, but I was also eating a lot of rice, potatoes, pasta, and other starchy stuff.

In my own defense, however, I was following the recipes in a book that the doctor had me buy pretty much to the letter except when I was at friends' or relatives' homes, which was maybe once a week on average. The recommended diet was, in retrospect, absurdly high in starches.

When I visited Europe back in the early 1980's, I got stuck in a rail delay on the border of Switzerland and Italy. Back then, the trains had to switch locomotives and train crews at national borders. I don't know if that's still true.

When we stopped at the border, the Swiss conductor announced (in about half a dozen languages) that we'd be "briefly" delayed. Four or five hours later, we were still waiting for the Italians to scare up a crew and a locomotive. Just for the sake of perspective, the entire trip from Zurich to Ravenna should have taken about seven hours, and we were delayed for four or five.

The Italians didn't care, though. Once the announcement was made that we would be delayed -- literally before the Swiss conductor had finished his announcement -- the Italians broke out bottles of wine, loaves of bread, salamis, cheeses, accordions, guitars, violins, and other sundry instruments. They started singing, dancing, eating, drinking, and inviting everyone else on the train to join in. It was a spontaneous party.

When a young couple revealed that they were on their honeymoon, the party got even louder, with every verse of Che la luna, mezza mare known to man ringing out in drunken harmony, with almost everyone in the train joining in and taking turns dancing with the young couple and toasting their future. It was a spontaneous explosion of cheer and good will, and everyone joined in.

Everyone except for most of the Americans, that is.

Most of the Americans were too busy fuming about the delay, fretting over their missed connections, leafing through their day-timers, and lining up on the platform waiting to use the pay phones (there were no cell phones back then) to repeatedly call whomever they were calling to tell them -- what, exactly? That they were still delayed and had no idea when the train would be rolling again?

As for me, I was an American, but of Italian blood and with dual citizenship; so I was only able to hold out until the second accordion. Or maybe it was the first sopressata. Or possibly the second bottle of Chianti. I forget. But whatever the case, my Italian side got the best of me; and within a few minutes of the announcement I too was singing, dancing, eating, and drinking alongside the rest of my ancestral countrymen.

Most of the Americans, on the other hand, just got more and more stressed out. They obviously resented the party going on around them more and more as the delay progressed. In fact, they were fit to be tied by the time I passed out drunk returned to my seat when the train resumed its trip.

It was then that I realized that Americans, as a people, are so tight-assed that the whole country needs a massive enema.

The significance of the lifestyle difference was brought home to me during the rest of my stay in Italy. I spent most of my time in the rural countryside west of Ravenna, and I remember noticing the many very old people -- none of whom seemed particularly concerned about what they ate, many of whom smoked like chimneys, and yet almost all of whom seemed in remarkably good health -- and wondering how they'd stayed so healthy for so long.

I remember two old men playing cards on a little table on the sidewalk in front of their house. They must have been in their 80's. They were eating what looked like veal parmigiana sandwiches, drinking wine from the bottle, and smoking cigarettes: And the father of one of them was watching them from the second-story window.

I also remember what seemed like long delays at the restaurants and cafes. You can easily kill three or four hours having dinner in Italy. There are like a bazillion courses to the meals, with plenty of time in between them, and a wine bottle that seems to never empty. You barely get halfway through the bottle when another one miraculously appears.

During one of the waits between courses, I remember thinking, "Man, this place is slow. I wonder why they're so behind?" And then it dawned on me that the pace was exactly what they wanted it to be. The "wait" between courses wasn't a wait at all. It was a time to relax, to socialize, and to just enjoy life. The Italians weren't slow. The Americans were rushed! We treat everything like a mission -- even relaxation.

So yeah, I think stress has a lot to do with the increasing rates of chronic diseases among Americans. If you look at the metabolic and endocrine effects of stress upon the body, sure, it makes perfect sense that our bodies wear out before their time. All that stressing and obsessing takes it toll over time.

Rural Italians, on the other hand, just throw a few colorful cuss words at a potentially stressful situation, and a minute later it's over and forgotten. Then they break out a bottle of wine, an accordion, a loaf of bread, and a salami; and they never think about that problem again.

-Rich

Last edited:
I believe that based on my own experience, but I'd add excess starchy vegetables to the "avoid" list, as well. When I was eating vegetarian I gained weight and my lipid profile got worse, but I was also eating a lot of rice, potatoes, pasta, and other starchy stuff. -Rich

White rice can certainly do that, brown somewhat less. Still, only on POA could folks try and argue that a balanced diet is bad for you.

I make all my pasta out of whole grains, took me awhile to work the kinks out of that. We do avoid somewhat potatoes int eh kitchens of Steinholme, though their presence in an otherwise balanced diet should not in and of themselves cause weight gain.

When I visited Europe back in the early 1980's, I got stuck in a rail delay on the border of Switzerland and Italy...
Good story, Rich. My cardiologist said someday he's going to write a book titled "The Whole Package: Diet, Exercise and Stress". Dr. Ornish included meditation in his studies and yoga, IIRC. On the other hand, Dr. Esselstyn's patients weren't required to exercise or meditate, so how does one account for his patients' success other than through diet alone?

Btw, those "old" Italians whose father watched from the window, how do you know they weren't just rundown, unhealthy teenagers from all the wine and smoking, hmmmm? ;)

dtuuri

Rural Italians, on the other hand, just throw a few colorful cuss words at a potentially stressful situation, and a minute later it's over and forgotten. Then they break out a bottle of wine, an accordion, a loaf of bread, and a salami; and they never think about that problem again.
Interesting story. I don't have any first hand knowledge of this but I've been told that Italians are among the most aggressive (I think the word I've heard is "crazy") drivers on the planet. Aggressive driving is pretty hard to reconcile with healthy attitudes toward stressful situations. Of course, the aggressive Italian drivers might also be urban types, so maybe there's no contradiction.

Just thinking aloud...

Talk like that is going to anger up our corporate overlords. Now lets talk about how lazy Americans are and how they should stop reading crap on the internet and get back to work.:D

Dude, reading crap on the Internet is as stressful as it gets, it's like Fox News with no constraints.:rofl: I'm in Italy, it's Siesta time right now till 2:30-3:30, then things open back till 6:30-7:30. I kinda like it especially with the long days up north.

White rice can certainly do that, brown somewhat less. Still, only on POA could folks try and argue that a balanced diet is bad for you.

I make all my pasta out of whole grains, took me awhile to work the kinks out of that. We do avoid somewhat potatoes int eh kitchens of Steinholme, though their presence in an otherwise balanced diet should not in and of themselves cause weight gain.

Funny thing when we look at the graph above, the healthiest of the people live on a diet that is 80% or more white rice.

Interesting story. I don't have any first hand knowledge of this but I've been told that Italians are among the most aggressive (I think the word I've heard is "crazy") drivers on the planet. Aggressive driving is pretty hard to reconcile with healthy attitudes toward stressful situations. Of course, the aggressive Italian drivers might also be urban types, so maybe there's no contradiction.

Just thinking aloud...

I didn't spend any more time in the cities than I had to, but I'm told that that's true. The drivers in Rome, in particular, are said to be pretty bad.

On the other hand, they'd have to really work at it to be much worse than New Jersey or Connecticut drivers. New York City drivers would be up there, too, if the traffic there actually moved.

-Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back