Farewell Jerry Ford

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
He was the first President my wife and I ever saw in person. We wheeled our two-year-old son in a stroller to the Air National Guard base at Van Nuys Airport in 1976 for a quick early-evening campaign stop. We'll never forget the awe-inspiring sight as Air Force One landed (the first time AF1 had ever landed at KVNY) and taxied up. The President strode down to the podium next to the airplane, and began his speech.

"I love you, and it's great to be here," he said. "My message to the wonderful people of the Fan Sernando Valley ... San Fernando Valley can be summed up -- [pause] It's been a long day, folks."

Nice guy. Seemed to be one of us. He was never elected to anything other than one congressional district in Michigan, but he was right for that moment in the nation's history. And he turned out to be the nation's longest-living President, beating Ronald Reagan by just a few weeks.

Farewell, Mr. President, and thank you.

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
He was the first President my wife and I ever saw in person. We wheeled our two-year-old son in a stroller to the Air National Guard base at Van Nuys Airport in 1976 for a quick early-evening campaign stop. We'll never forget the awe-inspiring sight as Air Force One landed (the first time AF1 had ever landed at KVNY) and taxied up. The President strode down to the podium next to the airplane, and began his speech.

"I'm happy," he said, "to be here in the Fan Sernando ... San Fernando Valley. [pause] It's been a long day, folks."

Nice guy. Seemed to be one of us. He was never elected to anything other than one congressional district in Michigan, but he was right for that moment in the nation's history. And he turned out to be the nation's longest-living President, beating Ronald Reagan by just a few weeks.

-- Pilawt

He always seemed like a nice guy, and that was pretty much what the country needed at the time. He inspired a lot of humor, that's for sure.

I was at that same speech. i remember seeing guys with guns on top of the hangars more than i remember his speech though.

He was never elected to anything other than one congressional district in Michigan, but he was right for that moment in the nation's history.

-- Pilawt

I would note a minor correction of the above. Gerald Ford was elected to 13 terms as Congressman from Michigan.

HR

Congressman Ford understood that all politics was local. That is, you had to look him in the eye and tell him why you were not going to do what he wanted you to do.

He immediately sacrificed any chance of re-election by pardoning trickish Dick.

Farewell, Mr. President, and thank you.-- Pilawt
Yes.....you were what we needed.

Back