FAR/AIM Update

GrahamC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Graham
Hi all, I bought my 2015 FAR/AIM about 4 months ago (right before the 2016 edition was made available for purchase.)

I've heard that you can download the changes between old versions and the most up to date version but I've spent a good bit of time looking online and on the FAA website to no avail.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Boom. That looks exactly like what I was looking for. Makes sense that it's on ASA's site, not the FAA's. Thanks for you help.

Boom. That looks exactly like what I was looking for. Makes sense that it's on ASA's site, not the FAA's. Thanks for you help.
The FAA doesn't provide an "update service" for a book you buy from a private publisher.

The real FAR is updated daily or any time there is a new regulation in Part 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

The AIM is actually on an update schedule and the one the FAA provides online is months ahead of the paper publishers.

People still buy paper copies of the FAR/AIM?

Actually saw it happen today at the FBO.

For the tablet owners, the ASA FAR/AIM app is well done. Had it for 3 years and the updates are automatic and free.

I collect them as mementos of a simpler time that I can look back on when GA as well as commercial aviation are deemed too dangerous to let humans pilot and all you see are drones.

They also make excellent tinder for bonfires

2 of my students have iPads but are not using them for training yet and the other two students don't have tablets. So all four are using paper.

David

I like to have my paper FAR/AIM in front of me when i'm teaching, or when I'm trying to reference training requirements.

Upon closer inspection, that link that I thought was what I was looking for, maybe wasn't exactly what I thought it was. I'll have to look further into it.

The lady at the pilot shop said there was an update you could get online to bring the 2015 paper copy up to date without having to buy the 2016 copy. I used to keep an electronic version on my iPad, but as my iPad gets older and slower, I need to take more and more off of it. Duplicated electronic documents were the first to go.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll just have to find out exactly what this lady was talking about.

I think what that lady us talking about is that the paper "2016" ASA, Gleam, Jeppesen or [enter your favorite] "FAR/AIM" re-publication is often out of date by the time it hits the shelves. So all of the companies provide update services to some degree, typically through the publisher website. The effect can be that the updated 2015 book is just as current as the 2016 book when the 2016 book hits the stands (and is itself out of date).

If I recall correctly, some may even go beyond the current re-publication year, but there's limited incentive to do that so you don't have to buy another book from them. It's certainly possible the pilot shop lady was mistaking interim in-year updates with making the paper book current for years to come.

Back