Fan Markers and Z beacons

Exocetid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Exocetid
My panel has an FM/Z light for "fan markers" and "Z beacons". Are any of these still working? Is there any way to find them (symbol on a chart)?

My panel has an FM/Z light for "fan markers" and "Z beacons". Are any of these still working? Is there any way to find them (symbol on a chart)?

Plenty of fan markers out there, I believe the only charts they appear nowdays are approach plates.

Z markers used to be placed at four course radio range stations to mark station passage, after it was decided that loss of signal wasn't a very good way to do it.

Plenty of fan markers out there, I believe the only charts they appear nowdays are approach plates.

Z markers used to be placed at four course radio range stations to mark station passage, after it was decided that loss of signal wasn't a very good way to do it.

Thanks, lots of good stuff on the web about four-course nav, apparently it was completely decommissioned by 1970.

I am still intrigued by the fan marker, know of any active ones?

6375-GillespieLOC-DApproach.jpg

So is the "FM" marker beacon the Fan Marker? So crossing it would set off the FM/Z light on my panel?

Seems strange, why not an IM, MM or OM? Is it because this is not an ILS?

Back