Family night flight

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I was finally able to get the family up for a night flight. Last night, the wx was perfect. Clear skies, light winds and a full moon.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of night flying, but I wasn't sure how the family would like it. Turns out, no need to worry. My wife and mother really enjoyed it. My 5 year old daughter wasn't quite as impressed ("Daddy, I can't see anything except the dark."). After we flew over a local holiday light display, she perked up a bit. Honestly, I was surprised she stayed awake.

It was fun giving a tour at night. My wife is lost in the air during the daytime, but seemed to pick it up faster last night. Seeing the large group of lights from shopping centers and towns made it easier for her to put the map together in her head.

It was a bit chaotic getting everyone in the plane and ready to go in the dark. I need to formulate a better plan for the next time. It all worked out, but I'm sure there is a more efficient way. I took a lot of extra time to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I hit 19 hours in this plane (C172) since I joined the flying club. I'm really beginning to feel at home in this plane. I'm comfortable with the equipment and power settings and after a slow start, can trim this plane quickly and accurately in all phases of flight. Sure makes it a lot more fun to fly when you have solid control of the airplane.

Having said all that, it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening that was topped of by one of my better landings (night or day). Damn, I love this flying thing!!

Sounds like fun. Where in PA are you? Last night I was thinking the same thing, and almost drove up to the airport. Bright moon and clear skies! Time to get night current.

Yes, night flying is great! I think it was John King who said, "Night flying has a beauty all its own."

Sounds like fun. Where in PA are you? Last night I was thinking the same thing, and almost drove up to the airport. Bright moon and clear skies! Time to get night current.

I fly out of KLBE.

I took a local, 6 generation family out on a night flight Monday... Full moon, fresh snow on the ground, They were SO excited... I think we have another new pilot about to start training..:yes::)..

I LOVE flying at night.. It is magical..:yesnod:

One of the best flights I have ever flown was from KEGE to KGJT at night. Middle of January with fresh snow and a full moon. Flying over the oil fields in the mountains is a pretty amazing sight. Sadly, convincing my wife to fly at night in the mountains is near impossible. I am thinking a night flight over Denver this winter might be doable though!

Did you get any pictures? I would imagine there are a lot more lights to see there.

Did you get any pictures? I would imagine there are a lot more lights to see there.

My wife tried, but I don't think the camera was set up right.

I flew over NYC on my way to Boston for Thanksgiving at night. It was awesome to see!

One of the coolest things I have seen at night was a forest fire on pilot mountain.

I have a regular route for night-tours I give friends and family that basically loops around downtown chicago at night. Lots of light, and as long as I don't look towards lake michigan there's usually a pretty distinct horizon for night time =D

I took a local, 6 generation family out on a night flight Monday... Full moon, fresh snow on the ground, They were SO excited... I think we have another new pilot about to start training..:yes::)..

I LOVE flying at night.. It is magical..:yesnod:

You got all six generations on board? Guess they do cremation in that family, eh? ;)

You got all six generations on board? Guess they do cremation in that family, eh? ;)

Naw... Just the dad , daughter and son.... The mother came along to the airport but then realized I had a 4 place plane... I told her she could ride in the roof, but she had to hold on REALLY tight...

There ancestors settled this valley 120 years ago.. Really nice folks and the dad is soooo stoked about flying now I bet he will sign up for flight lessons before the end of the year... The son, maybe 11 or so has started writing letter to the Air Force acadamy looking for info.......

These guys are HOOKED...:yes::)

Back