FALANT Test

U

Unregistered

Does the FAA still accept the sucsessful results of the Farnsworth Latern Test as a substitute for the Ishihara color plate test?
If so, does anyone know where a FALANT test site would be?
Anything in or close to Michigan?

If any of you have experience with this, please post.

Thanks people!

Unregistered said:
If any of you have experience with this, please post.

The darned thing is as hard as or harder than the 'silly colored-dots test'.
I have never heard of a single person say they failed the 'ishihairy' plates and passed the Farnsw Lantern test.
Good luck on it, but prepare to study for the practical (light gun @ airport) test. That's a lot easier.

The Farnsworth Lantern test has just been removed as an acceptable alternate test. It's actually harder than the light gun test. Personally I think the Falant test is pretty hard, too. I always recommend that the best way is to go out with a CFI who has called the tower. Stand on the edge of the taxiway or apron and conduct a "test" test communicating with tower on a handheld. If you can pass this, go directly to FSDO. If you cannot, your porsepcts for avoiding the "not valid for flight by color signal" restriction is pretty terribly small. Sigh.

Bruce, thanks for the reply, but I think you have the FALANT and the Farnsworth D-15 test mixed up. They are TWO different tests.
The Farnsworth D-15 test is no longer accepted by OKC. The FALANT is still accepted.
The question is, where the heck can a person take the FALANT test at?

Not confused. But you won't find the FALANT test much easier. I am a partial red-green deuteranope. On a good day, I can shoot the dots. On a bad day, I need to rely on my waiver. I have my ishihara book memorized and do it in a room with good natural light when giving the test. The type of light makes a big difference. But the FARNSWORTH was impossible.

I would try a medical school. They're about the only ones who might have the apparatus.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back