Fabric Aileron Repair

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
The L-3 that I'm going to be working on needs some reparis to it's flight control surfaces.

Is anyone here experienced in doing patches and other reapirs on fabric covered parts??

The L-3 that I'm going to be working on needs some reparis to it's flight control surfaces.

Is anyone here experienced in doing patches and other reapirs on fabric covered parts??
:idea:

Why can't you use duct tape like a normal person (in Alaska)? :cornut:

I'll bet it needs more than fabric repair. Likely to find corroded aluminum in it, too.

Dan

I'll bet it needs more than fabric repair. Likely to find corroded aluminum in it, too.

Dan

Yes, but we're addressing one thing at a time here.

I'm not sure that this plane will ever be brought to an airworthy status, it just has to look good from the outside.

What's the best way for fixing small holes? are there patch kits?

IAW the repair manual for the aircraft, or if none exists the AC43,13-1B/2A

The 43,13 gives the whole repair to fabric routines and the acceptable data for the repair you must log on the 337 for the major repair, see FAR 43. (A) for the requirements of a major repair to flight controls.

I'd just recover the whole aileron, it is just as easy, and a better job.

there are "dollar patches" if you know the fabric system already in place.

OBTW, I am a A&P-IA that recovers aircraft, see my web page at, www.whidbey.com/fairchild-nc19143/

Last edited:

Dan

Why would you believe that? when all aluminum under any fabric system must be primed and painted before covering?

Attachments

• 04ea0b80.JPG
    04ea0b80.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 12
  • fuselage interior.jpg
    fuselage interior.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Fairchild Restoration 113.jpg
    Fairchild Restoration 113.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Trip 2010 NY DC 340.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 340.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Trip 2010 NY DC 357.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 357.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Trip 2010 NY DC 360.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 360.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Trip 2010 NY DC 358.jpg
    Trip 2010 NY DC 358.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Must?

Naah.

Yes,,, every refinishing system I know of, even the old ceconite and dope method. calls for all metal to be primed before the covers go on.

1932 Fairchild rudder shown below is primed and painted from the factory. the brown stuff ain't rust. it is old rotted glue.

Attachments

• HPIM0636.jpg
    HPIM0636.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yes,,, every refinishing system I know of, even the old ceconite and dope method. calls for all metal to be primed before the covers go on.

1932 Fairchild rudder shown below is primed and painted from the factory. the brown stuff ain't rust. it is old rotted glue.

That must be why we see bare aluminum in the ailerons in brand-new American Champion airplanes. And in the wings, too. Only the spars are primed.

Dan

That must be why we see bare aluminum in the ailerons in brand-new American Champion airplanes. And in the wings, too. Only the spars are primed.

Dan

new aircraft can be what the manufacturers want them to be. It's still a known bad practice.

There are plenty of examples of stuff that gets primed before covering. I took issue with the word "must", because there are plenty of other examples where priming isn't/wasn't used. My Aeronca, for instance, didn't have any primer or paint on the aluminum components when it was built 65 years ago...

There are plenty of examples of stuff that gets primed before covering. I took issue with the word "must", because there are plenty of other examples where priming isn't/wasn't used. My Aeronca, for instance, didn't have any primer or paint on the aluminum components when it was built 65 years ago...

Show me a repair procedure that doesn't require it.

And I'll repeat my self, " new aircraft can be what the manufacturers want them to be.

I took issue with the random statement that a small repair will be more than that because of corrosion under the covers. There is no bases to believe that.

That's what this is. An Aeronca L-3

Back